Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 3, 2022 10:29 PM

Oct 2012
So season 3 has just started recently. At the end of season 2, Lin Dong was just starting his journey to find the Ancestral Seals. Yet, at the beginning of this season, he was shown to have the Lightning Body ability. So quite some material was skipped in between the seasons. Judging from the Wikia, the adaptation hasn't been completely faithful, but I expect continuity. Does anyone know if there has been any OVAs/specials released during this time to bridge this gap, or is there really just an unspecified time skip?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 3, 2022 11:06 PM
Jun 2021
katsucats said:
So season 3 has just started recently. At the end of season 2, Lin Dong was just starting his journey to find the Ancestral Seals. Yet, at the beginning of this season, he was shown to have the Lightning Body ability. So quite some material was skipped in between the seasons. Judging from the Wikia, the adaptation hasn't been completely faithful, but I expect continuity. Does anyone know if there has been any OVAs/specials released during this time to bridge this gap, or is there really just an unspecified time skip?

As far as I know there are no OVAs or Specials, the show could have realy used atleast one for the time/content skip.

During the 2 episodes I kept waiting for some sort of flashback to explain the time skip, unfortunatly it never came. Maybe in episode 3? but i doubt it.
May 3, 2022 11:10 PM

Oct 2012
Kernal_ said:
katsucats said:

As far as I know there are no OVAs or Specials, the show could have realy used atleast one for the time/content skip.

During the 2 episodes I kept waiting for some sort of flashback to explain the time skip, unfortunatly it never came. Maybe in episode 3? but i doubt it.
Yeah I was confused for a bit until I looked up a timeline of events on the Wiki. I doubt there will be a flashback. Oh well, might just have to read the source to fill in some details.
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 5, 2022 12:35 PM

Feb 2012
Kernal_ said:

I had to re-watch the last episode of season 2 as I almost didn't recognize the main character and obviously he was "setting off on a journey" but s3 just starts somewhere randomly.
katsucats said:
Yeah I was confused for a bit until I looked up a timeline of events on the Wiki. I doubt there will be a flashback. Oh well, might just have to read the source to fill in some details.

What's your goto wiki for the show?

May 5, 2022 7:03 PM

Oct 2012
SevWren said:
What's your goto wiki for the show?
I wouldn't call it a goto wiki, but this was helpful in this case: https://wu-dong-qian-kun.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline#Opening_Old_Tomb_.282_years_and_5_months_later.29
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 9, 2022 12:45 PM
Aug 2017
katsucats said:

It's his Great Thunder Body that he achieved after helping Qin Tan with her excessive energy. He later refines it with the Thunder Stone and uses the skill during season 3 (so yeah, they skipped the actual acquisition unless they gave it to him out of sequence during the donghua and I missed that)

It’s important to note that there are discrepancies between the adaptation, the light novel, and the manhua. This isn’t really surprising as it happens pretty much with every adaptation, particularly with Chinese adaptations. Below is a little showcase of what I mean:

Chapter 45 (manhua) / Chapter 185-186 (light novel) / Season 2, Episode 12 (donghua)
- Lin Dong is saved from Wang Yan and Elder Shen by Qingzhu

Chapter 46 (manhua) / Chapter 199 (light novel) / Season 2, Episode 12 (donghua)
- Lin Dong helps Qin Tan, tells her she can’t come with him, and he leaves town to start his training journey for the family tournament two years later.
* The donghua just has him depart without showing it. The manhua has him saying goodbye to all his family and friends in Yan City. The light novel has about 15 chapter of extra content during this period where he finishes off the Blood Wolf Gang, gains his Great Thunder Body (after helping Qin Tan like in the donghua), learns how to do the dragon transformation with his new dragon halberd and has a face-off with the city lord of Yan City before leaving. I can’t remember if these events happened in the donghua and manhua but out of sequence. I was too lazy to look back through the episodes.

Chapter 47 (manhua)
-He’s arrived at the Great Desolate Monument (mentioned in season 3, episode 3) without taking a single step in that misty forest nor meeting the Eagle Dojo folks. However, these events do happen in Chapter 200 (light novel) / Season 3, Episode 1 (donghua)

Sorry, couldn't find a better way to type this out but I hope it helps. Ultimately, I suggest reading the light novel if you're liking the adaptation. It seems like these two are more in sync with one another compared to the manhua.
Jul 12, 2022 1:29 PM
Dec 2014
Thank you for the great summary. I thought they skipped some stuff too, but it seems it wasn't too bad at the very least. About what one would expect of these shows.
Thankfully they kept a good part of the arc which the manga just outright skipped...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wu Dong Qian Kun 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion

ViRom - Jun 26, 2022

1 by zxcvb321 »»
Jan 22, 11:54 AM

» How is anime Lin Dong not dead yet?

blueskyidealist - Jul 27, 2022

2 by zxcvb321 »»
Jan 22, 11:51 AM

» Wu dong Qian Kun 4th season

tj_Tanmay812 - Jul 26, 2022

14 by MrGaby »»
Nov 16, 2023 9:52 PM

Poll: » Wu Dong Qian Kun 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion

ViRom - May 23, 2022

1 by vivektyagi »»
Aug 11, 2022 1:40 PM

» Anime still airing?

Janeator - Jul 12, 2022

1 by Kernal_ »»
Jul 12, 2022 2:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.