Forum Settings
Forums

I want to practice my brush writing, you (maybe) want a customised message

New
May 3, 2022 4:48 AM
May 2022
Hello everyone, I've been self-studying brush writing (Japanese, and Chinese too, I guess). If anyone would like some lines or characters written out, I can do ink or pencil on white paper and share a photo here.

No assurance at all about quality! I'm just looking for some practice.
May 3, 2022 5:27 AM

Aug 2020
Oh, that's lovely. Could you write "世界" (Sekai), the Japanese term for world? I really like the characters of this word.

Thanks

:)
I love bread

May 3, 2022 6:01 AM
May 2022
Mmm, 界 was hard for me! Here are my best efforts:

May 3, 2022 8:20 AM

Aug 2020
I... Thank you. That is very amazing. Your calligraphy is fluid and precise.

Excellent work and keep it up.

:)
I love bread

May 3, 2022 5:31 PM
May 2022
Thank you for the kind words. I had fun doing it :)
May 10, 2022 9:07 AM
May 2022
Here you go. You can see the brush getting dryer, and hopefully the writing better, as I try more times... from top left to bottom right.

May 10, 2022 8:48 PM

Jan 2021
could u maybe do 無限 (Mugen) it means infinity

"Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because
they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."

May 11, 2022 3:08 AM
May 2022
@ridingwithstars thanks for helping me with practice :)

and I must caveat that my writing should be considered quite rubbish by orthodox standards!

@Baka3301 argh~ 限 is tough! well, these are the best I can do:

May 11, 2022 3:32 AM

Jan 2021
it's fine. those looks really good btw!
glad i could help you practice :)

"Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because
they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."

May 16, 2022 3:28 AM

Sep 2015
Awesome stuff! Would you like to draw 律 maybe?
can dis sig fit
May 16, 2022 4:55 AM
May 2022
Thank you :)

Here you go:

I realise the focus is off for some characters... I could use a scanner at work if we want a sharp image...
May 16, 2022 5:55 AM

Sep 2015
aremarf said:
Thank you :)

Here you go:

I realise the focus is off for some characters... I could use a scanner at work if we want a sharp image...

Sweeet, I like how the top middle one came out.
can dis sig fit
May 16, 2022 4:42 PM

Jul 2016
very nice and pleasing calligraphy work
May 17, 2022 11:06 PM

Aug 2017
Could you write 名探偵 apparently its read as Meitantei (Great Detective) and its part of the title of a anime i like (Detective Conan).

Also, very nice work, what of brush do you use to write calligraphy?
𝓒𝓱𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓿𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓪
May 17, 2022 11:44 PM
May 2022
Thanks for the kind words, everyone :)

@Chocovainilla Ah, I just watched The Detective Is Already Dead recently, and the main character calls herself meitantei too. I like Japanese mystery and detective stuff so I will catch Detective Conan soon hopefully.

Today I am posting from work, and here I use this Pentel brush pen. It's an extra-fine tip and I prefer it to the medium Pilot brush pen I use at home. The Pilot's hairs are stiffer and hence more suitable for "cursive script", but I'm still not good with "regular script" yet, so I guess that's why!

May 18, 2022 5:18 AM

Aug 2017
aremarf said:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone :)

@Chocovainilla Ah, I just watched The Detective Is Already Dead recently, and the main character calls herself meitantei too. I like Japanese mystery and detective stuff so I will catch Detective Conan soon hopefully.

Today I am posting from work, and here I use this Pentel brush pen. It's an extra-fine tip and I prefer it to the medium Pilot brush pen I use at home. The Pilot's hairs are stiffer and hence more suitable for "cursive script", but I'm still not good with "regular script" yet, so I guess that's why!

Thanks a lot, you write kanji very well (i tried but they are very intricate at least for me)

Also, i didn't know that there are different type of hairs more suitable for a type of writting, that's very cool!
𝓒𝓱𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓿𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓪
May 18, 2022 11:45 AM
May 2022
Chocovainilla said:
Thanks a lot, you write kanji very well (i tried but they are very intricate at least for me)

Also, i didn't know that there are different type of hairs more suitable for a type of writting, that's very cool!

Kanji/hanzi are hard indeed - I've been writing for decades though, since I was a child! I'm ethnic Chinese, actually XD

So don't be discouraged if you find it hard, it's the same for everyone, even East Asian kids. Oh how I remember hating Chinese at school. I only started writing again the last couple of years, to help myself remember Japanese kanji better. And thought, I might as well work on my handwriting at the same time. Somehow it's a little embarrassing to have bad handwriting as an adult.

Actually, there are some fundamental strokes and simple characters that everything else is built on. So once you get the hang of those, everything comes together much more nicely. (But it also means that if you never quite master those basic strokes, your writing always looks a little weird!)

About the hairs, I never knew til recently too. I only looked it up because I was frustrated my second brush wasn't behaving like my first. Apparently stiffer hairs "bounce back" into shape faster so you can write fast too, as in "cursive script". Softer hairs are better for me because I can control the line thickness much more easily, and I only write slowly and carefully anyway.

Did you know about the kurutoga mechanical pencils? They have a mechanism to rotate the lead a little bit each time you raise and lower the pencil, so you always end up with a "fresh" pointy edge facing the paper... and it works better for East Asian writing. With western writing, especially cursive, the pencil just doesn't get lifted up as much.
May 18, 2022 6:34 PM

Aug 2017
aremarf said:

Kanji/hanzi are hard indeed - I've been writing for decades though, since I was a child! I'm ethnic Chinese, actually XD

So don't be discouraged if you find it hard, it's the same for everyone, even East Asian kids. Oh how I remember hating Chinese at school. I only started writing again the last couple of years, to help myself remember Japanese kanji better. And thought, I might as well work on my handwriting at the same time. Somehow it's a little embarrassing to have bad handwriting as an adult.

Actually, there are some fundamental strokes and simple characters that everything else is built on. So once you get the hang of those, everything comes together much more nicely. (But it also means that if you never quite master those basic strokes, your writing always looks a little weird!)

About the hairs, I never knew til recently too. I only looked it up because I was frustrated my second brush wasn't behaving like my first. Apparently stiffer hairs "bounce back" into shape faster so you can write fast too, as in "cursive script". Softer hairs are better for me because I can control the line thickness much more easily, and I only write slowly and carefully anyway.

Did you know about the kurutoga mechanical pencils? They have a mechanism to rotate the lead a little bit each time you raise and lower the pencil, so you always end up with a "fresh" pointy edge facing the paper... and it works better for East Asian writing. With western writing, especially cursive, the pencil just doesn't get lifted up as much.

Ohh that makes sense, i guess it's thank to practice that you are very good at calligraphy.

And yes, I can completely feel you i should also start working in my handwriting because it's also pretty bad, a friend of mine told me that my handwriting it looked like the one of a pre-teen hahaha.

So there is like basic lines and from them if you master them, all other strokes are easier to do? that sound really nice, but i can't even do the basics. Also i didn't knows about the hairs, but it make sense, kinda like makeup brushes right? there different types and they blend the makeup differently.

I in fact have heard about that type of mechanical pencils (but thanks for reminding me about the name), the concept sounds pretty cool, I think it could be also helpful when writing even English (not cursive, but that's okay, i don't really like western cursive that much anyway), the only thing its that they are really expensive (at least for my budget).
ChocovainillaMay 18, 2022 6:39 PM
𝓒𝓱𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓿𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓪
May 19, 2022 8:09 PM
May 2022
Chocovainilla said:
So there is like basic lines and from them if you master them, all other strokes are easier to do? that sound really nice, but i can't even do the basics.

Yes, strokes first, like verticals, horizontals, (plus those that have a little "jump" in them at the end of the stroke), diagonals (with a particular curve), then "corners" - horizontals which then turn downwards (either vertically or as a curve), etc.

By putting these together in various configurations, you make simple kanji. And simple kanji are often then combined with other simple kanji to make words - when they do this they are often called "radicals", from Latin "radix" meaning "root" I guess - similar to how we think of "rootwords" in English? ... so...

As I kept writing, I realised lots of "components" are just repeated across characters. So it's like, you just have to learn to write it well once in your life, and you can then use it in dozens or even hundreds of other characters.

It's like Lego, basically.

For example, this is rain: 雨

And it appears like this in weather-related words: ⻗ (with another kanji below it to suggest a sound)

You can see a whole list of characters that make use of it here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Chinese_radical/%E9%9B%A8

Hmm.

I guess it still looks pretty scary... but I wanted to say this so it looks less intimidating. You can have faith that as you practice and master the simple elements, they will help you tremendously with writing complicated-looking things!

(and I must emphasise again - I'm not good at calligraphy! I'm just dabbling and having fun! there are so many masters of the art and I am really, really, just messing about!)

About pencils, I don't use the fancy stuff too. I love traditional wooden ones. They're lighter in my hand. And I find them very expressive. if I apply more force when using a relatively blunt pencil with soft lead, I get a darker, thicker line. If I lighten up on my touch, I get thinner, wispier lines - in fact they're quite similar to brushes. Can't do this with a pen or mechanical pencil - well, maybe with some really expensive fine fountain pens it can be done, but why do that when the humble pencil works just great? ;-) I only mentioned the kurutoga because it's nerdy fun to look at cool instruments... but in the end, old is gold!
May 21, 2022 4:30 PM

Aug 2017
aremarf said:

Yes, strokes first, like verticals, horizontals, (plus those that have a little "jump" in them at the end of the stroke), diagonals (with a particular curve), then "corners" - horizontals which then turn downwards (either vertically or as a curve), etc.

By putting these together in various configurations, you make simple kanji. And simple kanji are often then combined with other simple kanji to make words - when they do this they are often called "radicals", from Latin "radix" meaning "root" I guess - similar to how we think of "rootwords" in English? ... so...

As I kept writing, I realised lots of "components" are just repeated across characters. So it's like, you just have to learn to write it well once in your life, and you can then use it in dozens or even hundreds of other characters.

It's like Lego, basically.

For example, this is rain: 雨

And it appears like this in weather-related words: ⻗ (with another kanji below it to suggest a sound)

You can see a whole list of characters that make use of it here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Chinese_radical/%E9%9B%A8

Hmm.

I guess it still looks pretty scary... but I wanted to say this so it looks less intimidating. You can have faith that as you practice and master the simple elements, they will help you tremendously with writing complicated-looking things!

(and I must emphasise again - I'm not good at calligraphy! I'm just dabbling and having fun! there are so many masters of the art and I am really, really, just messing about!)

About pencils, I don't use the fancy stuff too. I love traditional wooden ones. They're lighter in my hand. And I find them very expressive. if I apply more force when using a relatively blunt pencil with soft lead, I get a darker, thicker line. If I lighten up on my touch, I get thinner, wispier lines - in fact they're quite similar to brushes. Can't do this with a pen or mechanical pencil - well, maybe with some really expensive fine fountain pens it can be done, but why do that when the humble pencil works just great? ;-) I only mentioned the kurutoga because it's nerdy fun to look at cool instruments... but in the end, old is gold!

I never consider that kanji are like Legos honestly, but i think it's easier to understanding like that. So if you combine kanji with other you make more complex words right? its kinda like prefixes and derivative words (I don't know if they are called like that in English, but that's how I know them in Spanish).

Also, I checked the page, and i noticed how all have the rain kanji on them, that's cool, the only thing it's maybe may computer, but some characters look like a plain rectangle.

Ans I mean, maybe it kinda look scary because i can't understand either Chinese or Japanese and it's a completely different type of writing, but learned English even with their weird pronunciation of words, so maybe in a future i could learn kanji.

And yes, finally someone how says it, i like mechanical pencils (specially the ones with finer leads (0.5mm)) for some very fine details, but wooden pencils are like the top best things for writing, they are so comfy, smell good, easier and cheaper to get and like you say expressive, thanks to their lead which are very multiuse (i don't know if that makes sense).

Pens, well i don't like them, at least the ones i get on Mexico dry very slow and i write fast so they smear a lot, also they don't make the words or text have volume or expressiveness as a pencil (and the fountains ones can get expensive and require to treat them with a lot of care).

𝓒𝓱𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓿𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓪
May 23, 2022 7:44 AM
May 2022
Chocovainilla said:

I never consider that kanji are like Legos honestly, but i think it's easier to understanding like that. So if you combine kanji with other you make more complex words right? its kinda like prefixes and derivative words (I don't know if they are called like that in English, but that's how I know them in Spanish).

Also, I checked the page, and i noticed how all have the rain kanji on them, that's cool, the only thing it's maybe may computer, but some characters look like a plain rectangle.

Ans I mean, maybe it kinda look scary because i can't understand either Chinese or Japanese and it's a completely different type of writing, but learned English even with their weird pronunciation of words, so maybe in a future i could learn kanji.

re: Lego and prefixes and derivative words... yes and no. No because affixes (prefixes, suffixes) are for grammar... but Kanji "Lego" are for meaning + sound (not for indicating grammar). I wonder if I can give examples...

The basic characters are just... ideograms. Drawings of things become words. It's all meanings in the beginning.

火 is fire - like a campfire
炎 two fire symbols together can mean fire, but also "great heat", and also "inflammation, infection" (because those feel hot/warm, right?)
焱 three together is just more fire (used only to make some compound words)

灭 putting a cover over a fire, means to "extinguish"
災 putting a river over fire means "disaster" (flood and fire)
焚 putting two trees (a forest) over a fire means "burn"

And then, people wanted to write more words, for abstract ideas that are not easy to draw, right? So they start to put 火 on the left to show the meaning, and another kanji on the right to show the sound. For example:

灯 is made up of... fire (meaning) 火 + nail (sound) 丁 = this word sounds like "nail" but means "torch, lamp, light"

灿 is made up of... fire (meaning) 火 + mountain (sound) 山 = this word sounds like "mountain", but means "vivid, brilliant"

炮 is made up of... fire (meaning) 火 + bun/bundle (sound) 包 = this word sounds like "bun" but means "cannon"

See how it works? It gets a lot more complicated as you advance because you can keep adding things together (not just on the left and right, but also top and bottom and then on and on - like derivational words - you can keep adding to them!)

But it's actually got some sort of logic to it. XD

So, yes I'm sure you could learn it, slowly... Remember, it takes East Asian children many years too - and everyone agrees it makes learning to read and write very slow for us - that's why when the Communists took over China, they simplified lots and lots of characters! Because it's important for the peasants to learn to read so that they can understand propaganda so that they can understand great teachings of Marx and Lenin so that China can change from farming country to industrial power! Like Japan, who also simplified their characters! Unfortunately, we can't get rid of them like Korean (it's a long story... you can Google about it maybe... haha)

Thanks for sharing about writing instruments from Mexico - it was interesting :) You know, I recently read that the technologically-advanced US-ians spent lots of money making a pen that could work in space, but the Russians just used a pencil. ;-) Sometimes, simple is best, isn't it? Hehe
May 27, 2022 8:26 AM

Jul 2011
Very great brush writing you have there mate! Could instantly tell that you really did spend alot of time on practicing just by looking at your writings.

Forum set by secret santa

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:56 AM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.