Forum Settings
Forums

How do you define slice of life anime and school life anime?

New
Jan 15, 2022 9:53 PM

May 2017
For some reason, I sometimes think that both genres could be mixed together as one genre. But on the other hand, I understand why both have different genres to be able to understand done another.

What are your thoughts on this one?
Jan 15, 2022 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
Slice of Life is just that Slice of Life of the main character. It can be anything. The currently airing two aniney I'm watching are good example of different SoL. Kaijin and Akebi san. Both are very different from each other but both of them are SoL. IND of showing the Slice of life of the Kuroutsu and her team and the other Akebi san
Jan 15, 2022 10:08 PM

Oct 2014
School is a lot easier to define, it just means it takes place mostly at school. Very rigid and objective definition. Slice of life, on the other hand, is more abstract.

If you define slice of life as being about people's daily lives then basically any anime would fall into that category. If what makes it slice of life is the fact that the character views what they're doing as being this normal unchanging piece of existence then that would mean things like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop would be slice of life while things like Kiniro Mosaic and Non Non Biyori wouldn't be. Saying it's about the atmosphere or narrative style of the anime means you're leaving something up to personal feeling "I know it when I see it", which would vary from person to person leaving no anime being objectively a slice of life.

MAL has a definition listed for slice of life being that they "have no clear plot" and are feel-good anime. Slice of life anime usually do have some sort of an established continuum, meaning the episodes having a chronological order and there may be vague goals that the characters are headed towards, but the plot isn't generally the focus of the anime. There are slice of life style anime where the plot is the point of the show, but these kinds of anime are really drama anime rather than pure slice of life.

Btw in the same way that you can have a slice of life anime that doesn't take place in school, like New Game or Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou, you can also have school anime that aren't slice of life, like Boku no Hero Academia.
Jan 15, 2022 10:09 PM

Feb 2019
The guy above has the one and only true answer.

Obligatory youtube post cause this will help you understand everything.
Slice of Life isn't a genre

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Jan 15, 2022 10:13 PM

Jun 2021
albertbrown said:
For some reason, I sometimes think that both genres could be mixed together as one genre. But on the other hand, I understand why both have different genres to be able to understand done another.

You don't need to think about it becz it's already mixed.. Most of the slice of life shows has a premise of High school and on the other hand all High school anime are slice of life anime..Its just that we name them differently..
Haven't found a good anime dialogue to copy yet!!
Jan 16, 2022 1:56 AM

Sep 2009
Slice of life =/= School Life

Slice of life anime give you moments of appreciation of how nice you are alive
Jan 16, 2022 1:59 AM

Sep 2020
I consider "slice of life" as a genre, and "school" as a setting.
takamonoJan 16, 2022 2:08 AM
Jan 16, 2022 2:12 AM

Sep 2018
Slice of life = focus on the daily lives of the characters just for the sake of it, not necessarily for the sake of drama, romance, comedy or any other purpose

There must be a reason if Toradora! is school+romance+comedy+slice of life, whereas Kaguya-sama: Love is War is school+romance+comedy but it isn't a slice of life. Thanks to the new MAL advanced search, you can look for school anime while also excluding the slice of life genre. You'll see that they don't always overlap.
NirinboJan 16, 2022 2:18 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 2 hours ago

5 by Daviljoe193 »»
44 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 4 hours ago

74 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
7 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

32 by Kenzolo-folk »»
13 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

76 by Bandulf »»
14 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.