Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 1, 2022 2:56 AM

Dec 2009
'Just finished Higurashi Hou (07 Mod) excluding the console arcs.

Great experience. 8/10.
The theme of sin and forgiveness with the roller coaster of emotions from frequent questioning, theories, trickery, small reveals to finally the truth that it's mostly a matter of circumstances from a parasite, the Hinamizawa Syndrome affecting the villagers was amazing.
Technically, I don't know how accurate or realistic those concepts and the scenarios are, but nonetheless, it's a fun read.

The character of Hanyuu as a sacraficial God, like Jesus to take away human's sins was interesting, even though I'm non-religious.
I love how Ryukishi07 made these characters so complex, to even have sympathy and/or empathy for the villain/victim through the (Real)Mion and Miyoko.

Rika's struggle as a "10 year old girl" who's looped for 100+ years is fascinating, with Hanyuu being a God of 1000+ years who decided to be a sacrifice to all of human's sins to stop them from sacrificing others by human-gutting- by her own adopted daughter even.
I'm eager to play Higurashi Rei whenever MangaGamer finishes translating it. In the meantime I'll read all the canon manga, and then enjoy the anime adaptions for what they are.

Ryukishi07's message is beautiful even though it's portrayed through a horror story.
The help of friends was inspiring to see to finally break Rika's death-loop. The epilogue was cool, even though I wish to see more. I'll have to read that manga sequel and see if there's anything more.

I have to say that the moment I learned "Shion"(Real)Mion was the one who killed everyone, to later realizing she was affected by the Hinamizawa syndrome was crazy. Although, the moment she takes her real name back was a fun huge mind-fuck. I can't remember having a mind-fuck like that in a while.

... Great story. Amazing cast. Epic experience. Very enjoyable.
I think my favorite moments were Keiichi and "Shion" being affected, to then Rika's partial succees, to then the ending and Takano's pain. I'd love to see a redemption from her though which is somewhat implied since she's not in jail and being treated. Overall, I yearn for another canon epilogue.
Jan 1, 2022 5:34 AM
Aug 2021
I haven't played it myself but I hope to someday as I loved the anime.
Life is like a tube of toothpaste
Jan 1, 2022 8:49 AM
Feb 2019
I loved the anime, but damn the visual novel is so good. It really is a beautiful story with its heartfelt themes, even within such a dark and tragic narrative.

I always did like how well written and human the main cast were. Especially with how the author wrote Keiichi, who already was my favorite character from the anime. He comes off as any typical protagonist, but its the details and depth to him that makes him a fully fleshed out character. He can be a charismatic leader with his magical use of words, but also such an asshole when he freaks out and accuses his friends. He's passionate and has good intentions, but without the help of the others.. he's a lost wild dog who will do whatever it takes.

That can be said of all of them. All of them have been through so much in their pasts, that it makes the tragedy of their friendships falling apart over and over again in June 1983 so sad.

The writing is amazing, but not perfect. It does drag at times, especially with the repetition of lines. I understand repetition is used to emphasise a point.. but damn did it get annoying sometimes. WE GET IT. At least it had a purpose and went somewhere.. cos if it didn't and was only to fill time , that would be so disappointing.
Apr 10, 2023 2:58 PM

Dec 2009
Since it's been a year ago, I don't clearly remember the game fresh off memory while watching the anime now (E6) which I was planning on watching quickly after but have kept procrastinating on it.
It's not great like the visual novel, since it's rushed and cuts a lot of important hints or original dialogue which is disappointing, along with the mediocre art design, but it's fairly enjoyable to see it animated even though it's often underwhelming.

Meanwhile and fortunately though, I'm replaying the game at what's adapted to compare each pivotal scene to the game. 
I understand now why fans suggest the visual novel over the anime adaptions. Although I'm looking forward to watching the reboot which is an original different timeline from the timelines in the visual novel.

As for the story of the original itself,
as great as it is, there are a few dull moments where they play too much with the comic relief, but it's a good reminder that they're kids simply wanting to have fun together, put in an extraordinary supernatural circumstance of horrific paranoia and real chaotic tragedy of death. 
I have yet to play Higurashi Rei to see how better it is compared to the manga and anime, but I am tempted to very soon. 

As for an epilogue, I'm still wishful of a peaceful epilogue of the characters, or a serious romance spin-off visual novel.
I like Rena and Mion as love interests to Keiichi, but I'm more fond of Mion as his partner, since I'm a sucker for heroines with unrequited loves. She also "loves" Keiichi more than Rena.
Fortunately I think the reboot anime may satisfy that ship of mine a bit.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 24, 2007

141 by benisgu »»
Apr 6, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.