Forums
New
May 5, 2021 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
removed-userOct 2, 2021 10:40 PM
May 5, 2021 8:24 AM
Nov 2018
The thing with Cowboy Bebop is that it doesn't have an overarching story. It's an episodic show so each episode has its owm standalone story. If that's not the kind of show you like, then Bebop isn't for you. Personally I think it's a masterpiece aside from a couple of boring af episodes.
May 5, 2021 8:28 AM

May 2019
No, it won't. It will stay episodic with random story to tell thus the characters never develop at all. Better drop it if you don't like it. It only has great animation and soundtracks. Other than that just below average.

May 5, 2021 8:35 AM

Oct 2015
If you've watched 2 episodes of something and it hasn't gripped you yet just stop. Stop waiting for something to "get good". Obviously, it's just not for you.
May 5, 2021 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
It’s mostly an episodic series. The plot isn’t the main focus.
May 5, 2021 8:38 AM

Sep 2014
Some people say it gets good in the last 2 episodes, but I found the last episodes as boring and average as the rest of the series.
May 5, 2021 8:41 AM
May 2019
Havent you heard of the three episode test 3 episodes if you like it or not watch it or dont
May 5, 2021 8:51 AM

Jul 2020
Don't watch it if you didn't find it good at episode 1. The show stays the same until the last 2 episodes.
[center][img]signature.png[/img][/center]
May 5, 2021 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
SamuraiCowboyX said:
The thing with Cowboy Bebop is that it doesn't have an overarching story. It's an episodic show so each episode has its owm standalone story. If that's not the kind of show you like, then Bebop isn't for you. Personally I think it's a masterpiece aside from a couple of boring af episodes.

MoonStar9 said:
If you've watched 2 episodes of something and it hasn't gripped you yet just stop. Stop waiting for something to "get good". Obviously, it's just not for you.

GreiLugaj said:
It’s mostly an episodic series. The plot isn’t the main focus.

Joseph_Joestaar said:
Havent you heard of the three episode test 3 episodes if you like it or not watch it or dont

- I don't have any problem with the show being episodic.
- I've watched Samurai Champloo and Natsume Yuujinchou, both episodic, and they are some of my all time favorites.
- Just wanted to ask if there is any significant change in the latter half of the show.
- Plus, Cowboy Bebop is soo highly praised that I was much more curious about it than I usually am.
May 5, 2021 9:08 AM

Jun 2020
For me it was interesting from the very start, but yeah the episodic structure doesn't change much. So I wouldn't recommend to watch further if you didn't like the first few episodes.
May 5, 2021 9:29 AM
Dec 2020
MoonStar9 said:
nah some shows really get good after a few episodes.
May 5, 2021 9:40 AM
Mar 2021
Im sorry but it doesn't get good. It's just really repetitive and boring. There's no plot or development. If you are not enjoying it right now, you should just drop because every episode from now is just going to be exactly the same just with different bad guys. Also, The ending isn't as good as people make it out to be, it was nothing special. Btw, I'm not a hater of cowboy bebop, when I was watching I tried to enjoy but it was just so boring and repetitive. So yeah, it doesn't get good.
May 5, 2021 10:26 AM

Dec 2019
it doesn’t get better, the show just isn’t for you and I’m with you there
May 5, 2021 10:46 AM
Apr 2018
These types of anime are hard to watch. I don't know how I made it through samurai champloo lol. I don't know if I'll watch cowboy bepop even.
May 5, 2021 10:48 AM

Oct 2017
It would help if you explain why you think it's mediocre so if I could tell you if those elements persist or not. At EP9 highly unlikely you are going to enjoy it if you aren't at that point.
May 5, 2021 10:49 AM

Jul 2019
In the middle I think, and the very last 2 episodes. Maybe last 3 iirc.
May 5, 2021 10:51 AM

Feb 2021
Whenever Ein and Ed got screentime. Other than that Spike was eh, Faye is annoying and Jet is a legend.
May 5, 2021 11:20 AM
Apr 2021
The main story starts from epi 23 ig.Even I found it boring but the ending is amazing, for me it went from 7/10 to 9/10 cuz of the ending.cowboy bebop ending will always be one of my all time fav ending for a tv series
May 5, 2021 12:28 PM

Aug 2019
Honestly, if you don’t like it after 9 eps, I wouldn’t look forward to the rest. Like other users have said, it continues with its episodic story telling. I’d recommend finding a show more suited to your tastes if you’re a third of the way in and it’s still not for you.
May 5, 2021 12:29 PM

Jan 2020
It got really good for me starting from the second half but that's maybe just because I got used to the episodic style that cowboy bebop does

May 5, 2021 1:00 PM
Oct 2020
PiyushSan said:
I'm currently at episode 9 and the story so far is quite mediocre. Entertaining but not very good in terms of writing. Does it get any better?
No spoilers please. The other thread had spoilers so didn't read it.

It doesn't. Cowboy Bebop is among the overhyped 90's anime (EVA,DBZ,Yuyu) where nostalgia plays the biggest role in giving evaluations rather then actual objectivity. I have it rated as a 6... episodic as hell, basically filler episodes in a 6 month run anime, doesn't keep the plot focused, not invested in most of the characters, don't care for the non impact Noire style of storytelling. Etc etc etc. valentines story is the only one that I really care about as its the most traditional sci fi type of story. I don't care about Jet, I don't care about spike, or the androgynous girl. The worst thing is that the cowboy bebop fans try to complement the show by saying "it doesn't feel like an anime" as in its "realism" when in reality, it doesn't feel like an anime because it feels more like a cartoon with how episodic, disconnected and random it is. I HATE when people try to compliment an Anime by saying "Its not an anime" because of the vague meaning of what that really even means and how it comes off a pretentious asf 99% of the time. If you want to watch a good Sci Fi anime watch Astra lost in space/Katana no Astra.
May 5, 2021 1:52 PM
Oct 2020
It all depends on how you take the episodes. I personally think it’s one of the GOATs, but I’ve heard others call it derivative, boring, overrated, you get the idea.

If your waiting for something to happen, it might later on
May 5, 2021 1:59 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Just gonna repeat what already has been said: It's episodic in nature and if you aren't feeling even just the first episode you probably aren't going to enjoy the rest, and vice versa. I was actually looking for some form of story myself but you really only get that with the 2 two-episode stories that involve Vicious. But that was enough for me.

While it is episodic, with each episode you get to know the characters at a deeper level, especially Spike, which makes the ending impactful (as long as you are personally invested). Wouldn't go as far as to call it a favorite by any means, but it still is really, really good imo.

See you later, space cowboy

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 5, 2021 2:58 PM
Apr 2021
It’s very episodic, so every episode is a new story, but it definitely pays off in the end. I was like that watching it but each new adventure is getting to know the characters. I can’t spoil it but yes, it gets great.
May 5, 2021 4:10 PM
Jan 2021
around when Ed (or whatever the hacker's name was) joins it gets better
May 5, 2021 4:31 PM
Nov 2019
In 1998 lol It was far ahead of its time but like with all trailblazers their paths been walked on countless times. Old anime heads hold it in high regard for what it was at the time and no one can take that away from us but its hard to sell to newer fans. Spike Spiegel the og
May 5, 2021 4:46 PM
Nov 2020
MoonStar9 said:
2 episodes is not enough to know if an anime is for you or not lmfao
May 5, 2021 4:53 PM

Oct 2020
Cowboy Bebop is "old" and not like the most Anime we see nowadays.
Some people complain that theres no overall plot and the shows episodic, but is it really necessary? Depends on taste and what you expect i guess.

Cowboy Bebop was great for me because of the atmosphere and the characters it presents us. We see a really dirty future, although there is sci fi tecnologie, mostly depressing atmosphere and characters that have to carry the weight of their past, not able to escape and not able to let go.
I have to admit that some episodes are kind of boring and i didnt liked the space fights that much, but mostly i enjoyed the storys and the different genres they used.

When i first watched it i wasnt very excited after the first episodes aswell, but as the show went on i realized how special it was
May 5, 2021 6:43 PM
Feb 2021
I'll be honest with you, it doesn't. It's fun to watch to waste your time or relax, but it's not mind blowing. The only character arc worth following is Faye's. I personally couldn't care about Spike's and his stupid love triangle. The animation, visuals, and music are entertaining thought and create a relaxing atmosphere which seems like more of the point of this anime rather than the plot itself.
May 5, 2021 7:35 PM

Oct 2015
chxlk said:
MoonStar9 said:

What? A single episode is more than enough! That's the episode's that's created to pull in viewers.
May 5, 2021 7:40 PM
Nov 2020
MoonStar9 said:
chxlk said:

What? A single episode is more than enough! That's the episode's that's created to pull in viewers.
I heavily disagree, i wouldn’t have watched majority of my favourite shows if i went by that.
May 5, 2021 7:48 PM

Oct 2015
chxlk said:
MoonStar9 said:

I heavily disagree, i wouldn’t have watched majority of my favourite shows if i went by that.

You may not have loved the first episode but it was enough to stoke an interest for you to carry on. It worked as intended.
May 5, 2021 7:55 PM
Nov 2020
MoonStar9 said:
chxlk said:

You may not have loved the first episode but it was enough to stoke an interest for you to carry on. It worked as intended.
Not really, there’s plenty of shows where i watched the first couple episodes and was bored out of my mind but continued anyway.
May 5, 2021 8:10 PM
Jul 2019
If you finish it, you could get something out of it's message, and you might find the overarching plot interesting. But I could imagine you giving it 5-5.5 at the most and that still would be a waste of time. But let me ask you, did you like Ballad of Fallen Angels(ep 5)?

May 5, 2021 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
BilboBaggins365 said:
It would help if you explain why you think it's mediocre so if I could tell you if those elements persist or not. At EP9 highly unlikely you are going to enjoy it if you aren't at that point.
- Each episode has a really interesting plot but the show is not really using it at its full potential.
- The new characters that are introduced aren't fleshed out enough to care about them.
- And if you think about it, every single Cowboy Bebop episode can be summed up within 5-10 minutes.

Mo168 said:
Whenever Ein and Ed got screentime. Other than that Spike was eh, Faye is annoying and Jet is a legend.
Yeah, I found Ed to be really interesting. Idk who Ein is though.

ArcaneEdge said:
If you finish it, you could get something out of it's message, and you might find the overarching plot interesting. But I could imagine you giving it 5-5.5 at the most and that still would be a waste of time. But let me ask you, did you like Ballad of Fallen Angels(ep 5)?
Tbh, not much. I have no idea about Spike's past so the whole thing just happened.
removed-userMay 5, 2021 8:33 PM
May 5, 2021 10:07 PM
Aug 2018
It gets good starting with episode 1, lol. I absolutely love the space cowboy genre, even though there aren't too many shows in the genre. So, for me Bebop is special and one of the best representations of the genre. Music is creative, animation is fantastic, and it's got an amazing dub too. I'll be honest, there are a few episodes I dont care for. But, honestly I don't think there's a single show I love where every episode is 100% amazing. However, I can understand why people don't like it.
May 6, 2021 11:31 AM
Jul 2012
Cowboy Bebop has more in common with a traditional American television series than an anime. If you compare it to something like MacGyver, Quantum Leap or Knight Rider you'll see the similarities; the cast arrives in a new location, meet the episodes characters, solve the problem, and move on. If you don't enjoy non-serialised series like that then you won't enjoy it.
May 6, 2021 11:36 AM

Apr 2020
You see...guys in here had to TELL you that it hasn't got an overarcing story. You where like:>...hmm , I wonder where this plot is going...< ...without ever realizing that it is not that kind of show....?

so...
My dude...

You're not getting it^^
It won't get any "better" for you...you might as well drop it.
May 6, 2021 11:38 AM
Jan 2018
It... really doesn't. It stays episodic and honestly things dont get serious till the last two episodes. I dont think those final episodes are worth going through the show for either. Ive been considering changing my score for it from 7/10 to a 6/10 because I really didnt enjoy it much honestly. Its music is good but I dont think the characters are compelling or the story is interesting. And the setting is pretty generic I guess? For its era it was a marvel. But nowadays its like a washed up old man imo.

Trigun or kenpu denki berserk deserve its score instead of itself imo.
Sharmat_00May 6, 2021 11:47 AM
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
May 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Jul 2015
OP: "I have no problem with the fact it's episodic."

Also OP:
PiyushSan said:
BilboBaggins365 said:
- Each episode has a really interesting plot but the show is not really using it at its full potential.
- The new characters that are introduced aren't fleshed out enough to care about them.
- And if you think about it, every single Cowboy Bebop episode can be summed up within 5-10 minutes.

If "Each episode has a really interesting plot", then the show is doing what it should do. OFC you can sum up individual 20 mins eps in 10 mins, and ofc side-characters who appear for 1 ep aren't fleshed out. Especially since the show tends to be somewhat slow and contemplative rather than a plot rush.
May 6, 2021 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
Ghemotoc said:
OP: "I have no problem with the fact it's episodic."

Also OP:
PiyushSan said:

If "Each episode has a really interesting plot", then the show is doing what it should do. OFC you can sum up individual 20 mins eps in 10 mins, and ofc side-characters who appear for 1 ep aren't fleshed out. Especially since the show tends to be somewhat slow and contemplative rather than a plot rush.

What I wanted to say was that each episode has a interesting setting. For example, episode 6, "Sympathy for the Devil" had a really interesting setting. The kid was immortal and he was on a killing spree. So, Spike had to kill him. Now the whole episode could've been played out in a much better way but it doesn't. Or in episode 8, "Waltz for Venus", am I supposed to feel bad about the the guy or his blind sister?

And the side characters that appear for an episode or two can be easily fleshed out within a single episode.
May 6, 2021 9:42 PM
Jul 2019
Episode 1 is when it becomes good.

Yes it's good from the start.

If you aren't into episodic shows though, you won't like it. Don't watch further if you aren't into these kind of shows that's all I can say.
May 7, 2021 12:43 PM

Jan 2021
Cowboy Bebop is still a favorite of mine. The cast was fantastic, and I grew to love them as well as the episodic style. Also, each of the characters is involved in an overarching storyline, and the final two episodes are flawless in my view. One of the best endings I've ever seen. There's not a point where it “gets good”, it always had been.
May 7, 2021 2:40 PM

Nov 2019
I just finished Cowboy Bebop and was pleasantly surprised by the last few episodes. It was a very good ending. However I didn´t enjoy the overall series as much as I thought I would. I don´t dislike episodic series I just never cared enough about the characters or what was happening. By the end I did feel for the main cast especially Spike. I might rewatch it someday and have a bigger appreciation for the show. All this being said I still gave it an 8(might be a bit high) That is only because the last episodes salvaged it for me and I think the animation and music was great.

As for your original question I think you will have similar feelings to me. You might as well finish it now you are that far in.
joeykeysMay 7, 2021 2:43 PM
May 8, 2021 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
Geel said:
Surprised you like Champloo but not Bebop.

I was kind of surprised myself since they're pretty similar.
May 9, 2021 8:24 AM
Feb 2021
It has no plot cuz its an episodic show for me its bad
May 10, 2021 12:15 AM
Mar 2021
you have to piece together the full story urself.
May 11, 2021 1:34 PM
Oct 2020
When I first watched it, I dropped it after episode 10. I picked it up again and am SO DAMN GLAD I did. Episodes 22-26 alone are mindblowing for me (in each case for a different reason), but from episodes 12 up I really, really enjoyed it.
Jul 11, 2021 10:30 AM
Aug 2017
grow old enough then watch this show again,
you will understand why this show is so beautiful
Jul 12, 2021 9:14 AM
Dec 2020
I dont feel with the don't like in first few EPs thingy because I kinda liked it but it was a pain to complete as every episode is usually just boring until the final few minutes, the plot is loose and works differently as there are hints in a couple episode to the main plot but it's usually episodic and doesn't get a plot until final 3 episodes and EP 12-13. Now if you want to continue you should because this series is really great but the lack of content in each episode will bore you and make it a chore to watch through.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - May 14, 2008

183 by FunniMonkey69 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 23, 2009

116 by RioFS »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 22, 2009

114 by RioFS »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FighterZ - Apr 27, 2008

180 by RioFS »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HaiAlwaysHungry - Oct 29, 2008

116 by RioFS »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.