Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 10, 2021 10:14 AM

Jun 2020
FMmatron said:
@GoZha

People are still clowned on for saying AoT is masterpiece. People still call it overrated as well. The only thing that changed is that the fanbase has established itself and that it grew in numbers over the years. That makes it seem more accepted because circlejerking became more prevalent with afore mentioned factors.
And here's where we need to start comparing scores, a conversation that @Ghemotoc suspiciously dropped. Why do you think SnK's score and amount of favorites got high in later seasons but not BnHA's despite the similar popularity rankings? I think that's a pretty good indication that the community mostly did indeed think that later seasons were better. How else could that be explained?

Once again keep in mind that I am not saying that a score indicates whether a work is a masterpiece; keep the conversation on community reception
Mar 10, 2021 10:59 AM

Nov 2016
GoZha said:
FMmatron said:
@GoZha

People are still clowned on for saying AoT is masterpiece. People still call it overrated as well. The only thing that changed is that the fanbase has established itself and that it grew in numbers over the years. That makes it seem more accepted because circlejerking became more prevalent with afore mentioned factors.
And here's where we need to start comparing scores, a conversation that @Ghemotoc suspiciously dropped. Why do you think SnK's score and amount of favorites got high in later seasons but not BnHA's despite the similar popularity rankings? I think that's a pretty good indication that the community mostly did indeed think that later seasons were better. How else could that be explained?

Once again keep in mind that I am not saying that a score indicates whether a work is a masterpiece; keep the conversation on community reception

I acknowleged that. There's plot progression/ pay-off later down the line, of course these parts would be rated higher by some. The thing is that people were already showering it with highest praise possible for the great production, mystery and tension long before S3 came out. People always thought it was special since episode when things started with a bang. I'm sure you will find convincing posts in episode threads of S1 and S2.

As for scores, they're merely one indication and what the large part of the community actually said another.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2021 11:06 AM

Feb 2021
It’s powerful. Not all art is. The level of unhappiness these characters experience is depressing. Their lives seem like they’ll never get better. It is a little hard to describe, hence your curiosity is totally normal. I should wonder why more people don’t ask your question! But my opinion is that great art, to put it in too few words, is extremely evocative, regardless if the emotion it evokes. AoT does that as well as any anime.

Do watch season 3 and certainly I recommend catching up on season 4. Those seasons add immensely to the power of this anime.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Mar 10, 2021 3:02 PM

Jun 2020
FMmatron said:
GoZha said:

I acknowleged that. There's plot progression/ pay-off later down the line, of course these parts would be rated higher by some. The thing is that people were already showering it with highest praise possible for the great production, mystery and tension long before S3 came out. People always thought it was special since episode when things started with a bang. I'm sure you will find convincing posts in episode threads of S1 and S2.

As for scores, they're merely one indication and what the large part of the community actually said another.
You don't think a lot of people held off on calling SnK a masterpiece until the payoff that was S3p2? I've seen quite a few people say seasons 1 and 2 felt like a normal battle shounen but 3p2 was more substantive and others that their criticisms were addressed by 3p2.
Mar 11, 2021 2:20 AM

Sep 2020
Because it's based and redpilled
Mar 11, 2021 2:28 AM

Nov 2016
GoZha said:
FMmatron said:

You don't think a lot of people held off on calling SnK a masterpiece until the payoff that was S3p2? I've seen quite a few people say seasons 1 and 2 felt like a normal battle shounen but 3p2 was more substantive and others that their criticisms were addressed by 3p2.

Both are a thing. People who were calling it a masterpiece before and people were calling it a masterpiece after S3.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 11, 2021 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
GoZha said:
FMmatron said:
@GoZha

Comparing scores 5 years later isn't going to show you anything with the tendency of scores to drop extremely sharply with time. You mentionned SAO and used its score at some point to prove it wasn't generally considered a masterpiece. Welll guess what? SAO is old, its score dropped massively once not-so-fans got around watching it.
SNK's first season score DID drop sharply. It was in the top 10 when it aired.

Lemme rewrite it in big: SNK s1 was top 10 on MAL after airing, and s2 was hyped like the return of the messiah on AD I could answer your specific arguments but there is no need to, because facts are enough.

Once again, I have no intention of stiring drama, but rewriting history is a big nope, and presenting opinions as fact is a big nope too as far as I'm concerned. There's no real need for you to get defensive about it tho, SNK s1 was massively praised, maybe you weren't paying attention, but I don't see why you'd stick against it like it actually matters to you. Do you really care that much if people massively praised s1 and you disagree with them? Because I really don't see why that'd be a problem.

I'll add that all the normie friends who recommended AoT s1 to me never mentionned the other seasons, so it's safe to say only s1 had that massive mainstream burst of popularity, too.
Mar 11, 2021 5:54 AM

Apr 2020
sabervergarden said:
wakenowakane said:

Nah It's more like: S2 > S3 > S1 > S4
im pretty sure you two talk about animation rather than plot

How bout: s3 > s4 > s1 > s2
Mar 11, 2021 10:30 AM
Nov 2020
DefeatingMe said:
sabervergarden said:
im pretty sure you two talk about animation rather than plot

still not, season 4 has a better plot and characterization lol
Mar 11, 2021 1:20 PM

Jun 2020
Ghemotoc said:
GoZha said:

Comparing scores 5 years later isn't going to show you anything with the tendency of scores to drop extremely sharply with time. You mentionned SAO and used its score at some point to prove it wasn't generally considered a masterpiece. Welll guess what? SAO is old, its score dropped massively once not-so-fans got around watching it.
SNK's first season score DID drop sharply. It was in the top 10 when it aired.

Lemme rewrite it in big: SNK s1 was top 10 on MAL after airing, and s2 was hyped like the return of the messiah on AD I could answer your specific arguments but there is no need to, because facts are enough.

Once again, I have no intention of stiring drama, but rewriting history is a big nope, and presenting opinions as fact is a big nope too as far as I'm concerned. There's no real need for you to get defensive about it tho, SNK s1 was massively praised, maybe you weren't paying attention, but I don't see why you'd stick against it like it actually matters to you. Do you really care that much if people massively praised s1 and you disagree with them? Because I really don't see why that'd be a problem.

I'll add that all the normie friends who recommended AoT s1 to me never mentionned the other seasons, so it's safe to say only s1 had that massive mainstream burst of popularity, too.
I actually didn't know that the first season was ever in the top 10. So I went checked on the wayback machine and what I found was that season 1's score peaked at #9 with a score of 8.98 in October 2013 if you want to check it yourself. But 3p2 was once #2 with a score of 9.16 at one point while it was airing and it hasn't dropped below 9.00. So the highest that szn 1 ever was is still lower than the lowest that szn3pt2 ever was. So in terms of scores, it looks like 3p2 does get more praise.

Whether specific people liked or didn't like season 1 is as big of a concern to me as it probably is to you. Why are you still discussing this with me? I'd assume it's a similar reason; we're just talking.

Yes you're definitely right that season 1 got the mainstream popularity like no other season did, but that's also one of the reasons why it got so much praise. The pool of people watching was massive, so there'd be more people calling it a masterpiece or whatever than there would be for most seasonal anime, but there'd also be more people saying it's overrated as hell. In fact, when I was looking at szn 1's score on wayback machine, I did find the "overrated" threads.

Off-topic note but I think the final season is in mainstream popularity right now again. 2-3 weeks ago it was the #1 most watched show in the U.S., people who I never would have imagined watching anime have watched some of it, and even the soundtrack of all things is being used in memes that are totally unrelated to SnK
Mar 11, 2021 1:23 PM

Jun 2020
sabervergarden said:
DefeatingMe said:

Nah you're all wrong it's 4 > 3 > 1 > 2
Mar 11, 2021 1:25 PM

May 2020
because people like what they like and others shouldn't try to convince them to not like it
I said with a posed look
Mar 12, 2021 12:44 AM
Dec 2019
Almeidolas said:
I mean i like this but it's nothing special. I don't want to be toxic at all. Just why do you like this so much. I see people saying bc of the plot but for me it's just normal. Did i not understand the plot??? Am i too new to anime???
Btw I havent watched season 3 yet just 1 and 2
PS: sorry for my English

I understand you bro. I dont like the first and second season...to normal for me.
But yesterday I finished the manga, and the only thing I can said is DEVELOPMENT. For some moments I cant believe that I was watching the same anime.
Until now I consider the first season very mehhhh for me. But they are necessary to watch because it helps to build all the mysteries of the world and understand the characters.
Mar 12, 2021 3:20 AM
Nov 2020
GoZha said:
sabervergarden said:
Nah you're all wrong it's 4 > 3 > 1 > 2
tf? did you watch reiner and ymir convo in season 2?
Mar 12, 2021 6:03 AM

Feb 2021
I have no idea. I have yet to watch a single episode. But I'll start watching thru it soon.

Just need a few days to get over your lie in April :(

Protect the smile!

Mar 13, 2021 5:30 PM
Jun 2017
maybe post your opinion after you’ve watched all the seasons?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.