Forum Settings
Forums

How exactly would donghua production differ from the production of anime

New
Nov 2, 2020 8:52 AM
Nov 2020
I´m pretty new to the donghua community (I´ve been into donghua for about a year now?)
So I was wondering how a manhua being adapted into a donghua works compared to a manga being adapted to a manga being adapted to a manga.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 7, 2021 12:06 AM

Sep 2021
It seems to me that they're all produced by bilibili or tencent, and have to abide by Chinese censorship. So that probably affects the creative freedom. I have no idea how the toolchain would differ -- I imagine that's pretty similar. But donghua tends to use more 3D CG.
Nov 8, 2021 11:45 AM
May 2009
The key difference is whether the animation is a joint project or a solely domestic project.

Hitori no Shita was a joint project Season 1 had alot of odd edits for the Japanese dub. Surprisingly the Chinese dub was more adult and more bloody.

Mo Dao Zushi is a domestic project, and you can see that 3D backgrounds are used alot. The Dubbing for Japanese also took 4-5 years to come out.

The dubbing has also led to different openings and opening music.

I would say the biggest different is sound direction. mainly to do with background and noise capture. Japanese industry definitely has the Chinese team beat on this. But I am expecting this to get better over time.

Legal restrictions in China are also tighter than Japan, so popular works that have sex, yaoi, yuri, etc etc. would be censored and portrayed in a different way that adheres to the rules, whilst trying to stay true to the story. Beryl and Sapphire is an example where I believe its Yaoi in novel, but due to BL not being allowed for viewing media format, they rewrote one of them as a female.

Alot of Dong Hua is 3D Model animations and ranges from good to bad. I was disappointed Yao Shen Ji was not a 2D animation considering how much I enjoyed the Manhua adapation. But I got used to it and enjoy it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Recommendations for Donghua whose story has ended

FADD3321 - Mar 22

0 by FADD3321 »»
Mar 22, 9:44 PM

Sticky: » Updates Log [DO NOT POST]

SheyCroix - Feb 8

1 by SheyCroix »»
Feb 13, 9:33 AM

» Need Donghua Recommendation

BadKarma07 - Jul 12, 2021

6 by GentleRain81 »»
Jun 16, 2023 6:56 AM

» Has Anyone Watched Those Years I Opened A Zoo donghua?

removed-user - Aug 22, 2021

2 by GentleRain81 »»
Jun 16, 2023 5:05 AM

» Please recommend me some wuxia donghua

ToG25thBaam - Jan 14, 2022

4 by GentleRain81 »»
Jun 16, 2023 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.