Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 19, 2020 11:59 AM
Feb 2010
So I was watching a video about the importance of food in One Piece and someone in the comments remembered that Toriko exists... Suddenly I put a review together as a reply but realized it's too spoilerefic to post in MAL review section... And the review section is all about read the manga... At first the only merit is that Toei didn't reproduce Shimabukuro-sensei art to it's best toning down all the gore to secure the popular Sunday morning spot... they put a lot into advertising calling it the next big thing after One Piece and Dragon Ball[1]...

Other things that come to attention in these reviews are the top 3[~] weak points (ymmv) in the series...

1 - The lack of waifus (to the point Toei felt the need to create Tina...)
2 - The Big Boss Rush that succeeded the Bambina Arc
3 - People that came for a manga about food but left because all the testosterone imbued action....

And that's something I think the anime does better than the manga (this and Tina)... That filler segment with an over the top narrator describing one absurd food over another was one of my favorites... And that most of these were fan contributions... that became intellectual property of Shueisha or Toei...

The parts most of the reviewers prize, the ACTION, ART and STORY are easily overshadowed by other manga... If you check the synopsis both anime and manga it's about a world that spins around food and the adventure people engage seeking these incredible food... and said food was kinda disappointing... For contrast check every other manga about good food out there... For all the hype Komatsu received as an amazing cook... I believe the food presented always lacked the synesthesia to make me feel how delicious it was... I would dare to name a top 10[2] manga with better food...

To this late analysis I can say at least that the Jewel Meat (the lore) and the Mellow Cola (cause it was Zebra debut arc) left a good impression though... To a series whose main goal was to create the better Full Course they lacked vaiety in the other itens (dessert, salad, fish, soup and appetizer)... GOD was a good fight if only...

I guess this sums it all: read for the Action, read for the Story... thread with caution if you are expecting a banquet though...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

[1] Remember that Naruto and Bleach were with Pierrot so they were out of the table...

[1.1] And in hindsight it was a the move that rekindled Dragon Ball return, ending the series in favor of freeing the time slot... But don't take my word on it... There is how Toriyama-sensei disliked the live action Movie....

[2] Emiya-san Chi Kyou no Gohan/Today's Menu for the Emiya Household(?), Isekai Izakaya Nobu, Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon, Isekai Shokudou, Shokugeki no Souma, Yuru camp, Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon); Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san; Koufuku Graffitti; Misoshiru the Kanpai (draw with Gal Gohan)...

[2.2] Honor Mention(s): Diamond wa Kudakenai (A chief Trusade spin-off seems great too!); Hunter x Hunter (Spider-Eagle boiled egg seemed delicious! The Gourmet Hunters would make a really interesting spin-off and entertain fans during the hiatus, all you need is give an opportunity to some good artist); Medaka Box (I really like the arc focused on food there...); One Piece (I would love to see what could be Oda-sensei/Sanji idea of a Full Course!); Pokémon (I think made it very high in a list of skilled ciefs these days); Princess Connect (If the Bishokuden girls get a spin-off), Sword Art Online (yep that sandwich),

[~] 0 - People that can't separate the author from his work keep bringing some scandal about Shimabukuro-sensei. I don't know the guy, couldn't care less if Shueisha reboots the manga and put another author that can emulate his style in charge... (YMMV)
mrponeisMay 19, 2020 12:08 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toriko Chapter 39 Discussion

canephalanx - Mar 18, 2016

3 by PlasticRobot »»
Nov 4, 2023 6:33 PM

Poll: » Toriko Chapter 26 Discussion

Mana - Jan 9, 2017

4 by PlasticRobot »»
Nov 1, 2023 6:53 PM

Poll: » Toriko Chapter 14 Discussion

Mana - Jan 9, 2017

4 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 31, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Toriko Chapter 9 Discussion

Mana - Jan 5, 2017

4 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 30, 2023 11:05 AM

» Toriko Manga Sales

ichii_1 - Apr 3, 2015

41 by RikaHonjo »»
Aug 14, 2023 6:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.