Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 1, 2020 11:21 PM

Jun 2013
Hi there,

TL;DR: Now that this FGO anime is over, I wanted to ask your sentiment about the sound design.

After reading a few comments on this forum or on reddit, I found that some people were praising the sound design of this anime. It was quite surprising for me because, though I consider Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia to be a good anime, the sound experience was terrible.

The animation was very good, the characters were sympathetic (and they were not as overpowered as Fate/Apo, that's also a good thing). However, while the fighting scene were very nice to watch, they were painful to hear. The oversaturation of almost all sound effect and the high pitches of Lahmu's voices really hurt my ears so that I was forced to decrease the volume of my speakers.

I get that a minority liked the sound design of Fate/Apo, saying it was realistic (even if I don't understand how you can consider saturated sound to be realistic if you don't have a hearing aid). But, here, I'm on the level of the pain, literally.

So I came with three hypothesis :

1/ My speakers are shitty and saturated, the problem being with my hardware and not the anime itself. It would be quite strange because this would make FGO the only media breaking my speakers.

2/ The video-file was badly encoded. This would also be strange to have a bad encoding for an anime as popular as this arc.

3/ I'm beginning to develop a sort of sickness with my ears.

4/ People have strange tastes in sound design.

I hope that it's not hypothesis 3 but it is very strange to me to have a good anime where the only massive flaw is the sound design (once again, Fate/Apo had this flaw, but I don't consider that it was a good anime).

So, what was your experience about Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia's sound design ?
Apr 1, 2020 11:46 PM

Aug 2017
I'll have to agree about the Lahmu's voices, those were torture, but if you were to just consider the soundtracks online, they were done fairly well. However, it started to get old around the end, because they seemed to be using the same tracks (or thematically similar tracks) over and over.

One of the more subtle details that irked me came after I looked into the entire soundtrack. More specifically, the track names. In spite of the actual names and relevance of each track, it seems that the anime just randomly played them whenever it found them to be aesthetic. I'd say that's okay on a superficial level because it sounds good, and that's probably the important part, but there was no regard for motifs or thematic significance of each individual track. I'd say that this is just me nitpicking because the music itself sounded good, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

I think Babylonia suffers from a problem it shares with Apocrypha, in that the same sound effects were being recycled throughout the series for different scenes and purposes. For what it's worth though, the openings, endings and insert songs were top notch, at least in my opinion.
Apr 2, 2020 12:00 AM
Oct 2019
Before I begin, I would like to mention that I used my Gamdias Hebe M1 headset to listen to stuff for the most part.

Now for the sound design, it is a mixed bag for me. The Lahmu voices felt pretty good for me and sounds such as that of metallic objects like Ana's chains rattling, blades clashing or King Hassan planting his sword in the ground were really good. But the real issue for me was the explosion sounds which had the same annoying "brrrt" like Apocrypha. Thankfully this anime did not use explosions that frequently as Apocrypha and even when it did, the sounds did not last that long or had other sounds thrown in the mix. But still, it is pretty annoying at times.

Another thing I noticed when watching videos of certain fights on YouTube was that the sounds felt much better than when I heard them in the anime. The encoding might indeed be a case.
Apr 2, 2020 12:05 AM
Oct 2019
VortexOfLight said:
I think Babylonia suffers from a problem it shares with Apocrypha, in that the same sound effects were being recycled throughout the series for different scenes and purposes. For what it's worth though, the openings, endings and insert songs were top notch, at least in my opinion.
Cloverworks was originally a part of A-1 pictures, the studio that made Fate/Apocrypha. They separated in 2018 but Cloverworks is still a subsidiary of Aniplex.
Apr 2, 2020 1:05 PM

May 2015
Never been a fan of the overindulgence with bass drops. Sound design as a whole isn't particularly bad though. There are just moments where the sound creeps over a particular moment and the timing is also off. Honestly, it seems like people either appreciate it or dislike and the people in between just don't mind it

Apr 6, 2020 1:14 AM
Jul 2013
I suppose it also depends on what you like and how loud you like it. I'm not a fan of those ripping sounds during explosions but I saw some people loving it. On the other hand I loved how the bass in Enuma Elish dropped but some people didn't. I think in general they wanted to overdo on the sound to make the fights even more ridiculous (i dont mean this word negatively) so I guess now it's just up to one's taste. But I still think the sound design was generally better in earlier eps tbh.
Apr 6, 2020 1:25 AM

Aug 2017
Mika-taicho said:
I suppose it also depends on what you like and how loud you like it. I'm not a fan of those ripping sounds during explosions but I saw some people loving it. On the other hand I loved how the bass in Enuma Elish dropped but some people didn't. I think in general they wanted to overdo on the sound to make the fights even more ridiculous (i dont mean this word negatively) so I guess now it's just up to one's taste. But I still think the sound design was generally better in earlier eps tbh.

Yeah, this sounds on point. I'll agree that the Enuma Elish scene went pretty well, but I got distracted by how Gil seemed to shift in and out of model every time they cut. Not to mention that the subconscious comparison to how Ufotable animated Ea totally robbed me of the mystique of that scene. But it was cathartic to finally see it, not gonna lie, and it wasn't outright bad either.

I'm a bit neutral on the sound design progression of the series though. The middle parts definitely suffered, but some of the moments in the final few episodes were honestly redeemed by the sound design when the animation began to dip.
Apr 9, 2020 11:25 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah, I didn't quite like the sound design either. It wasn't as terrible as the CLANG CLANG CLANG in the new Berserk series but it suffered from the same issue as Apoc with that overindulgence with the 'loud clashes' effects.
May 17, 2021 2:12 AM
May 2021
Yes I agree with you I am also working on the similar type of web page project and this informative article will definitely help me in that case thanks for sharing this information.
eaer453May 20, 2021 4:43 AM
Mar 8, 2023 1:18 AM
Mar 2023
Wow great observations! i doo agree with you. i am trying to make an ai based similar [url=clippingcreationsindia.com]site[/url] where individuals like you are going to be main priority. I have learn a lot of [url=autocadindia.com]info[/url] from this post. Thanks a lot.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

185 by keynutil »»
Apr 11, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2019

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2019

287 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

176 by keynutil »»
Apr 1, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

186 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.