Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 20, 2020 8:38 AM
Jan 2019
So I've been rewatching sao for the first time in five/six years (damn I was young and naive then), or second time watching it at all. I really enjoyed this movie, especially asuna using yuuki move plus klein trying to beat up eigi, if that's his name, cos klein is the bro and needs loving. Aslo how dare the antagonist hurt silica-chan. Anyways there were two things that could do with explaining. 1. Why do they have to take away the sao survivors' memories to use them for yuuna? 2. Why would they need to take everyone's memories to revive yuuna? A lot of them probably didn't meet her, and if they did it was probably just her song, really the only memory would be eigis.

P.S. Holy shit I want to go karaoke with silica so much.
Jul 19, 2020 10:34 PM
Jul 2017
Post 1
(Post 1 is a comment and opinion. Post 2 is a possible answer.)

I actually just did the same in preparation for SAO: Alicization - War of Underworld Part 2. (first time watching Ordinal Scale though.) I agree that it is kind of weird that they lose their memories. A less intense (and less damaging) scan would have probably gotten better results and the survivors would have probably volunteered to do it too. The chance to resurrect someone that died in SAO (even if they'd just be AI) would be extremely hard to pass up/for most of them. The fact that they could theoretically revive everyone that ever died in the game (or literally anyone that they had enough memories of) would likely make it a national research priority.

None of that would likely make a story as entertaining as Ordinal Scale though (unless they did it at the end), so I'll give the author some credit.
Jul 19, 2020 11:06 PM
Jul 2017
Post 2
(Post 1 is a comment and opinion. Post 2 is a possible answer.)

1. The memory loss is just a side effect of the High-Frequency Scan. The intensity of the scan causes some kind of disturbance in the particular part of the brain where memory is stored.

2. Dr. Shigemura (Yuna's dad) had no way of knowing who had met Yuna in SAO, but either he wanted to be thorough or just assumed that everyone had (parental pride and all that).
Also, the mind is extremely complex, so unless this is like the unintentional prototype for the "Mind Backup Storage of Friendship" thing in mentioned Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Part 2, it is unlikely that Yuna would be complete even with the memories of everyone that ever logged into SAO (including those that died).

Here is my suggestion if you want more details or want just to learn more about this kind of thing in general:

Take a general Psychology course (or google "mental associations" and/or "psychological associations"), a brain anatomy course (or google "hippocampus function" and similar), and learning about PTSD (its something Kirito likely has. For an example See the cave battle of SAO episode 19 and refusal to let a party member die after learning about PTSD).

Note: This is assumes that you do not currently have much or any of the information mentioned above. If you do already know about these things then proceed to step 2.

Now use a combination logic, knowledge, and your imagination to figure out the rest.

FYI, the "logic, knowledge, and Imagination" combination is often called "theorizing" or "forming a hypothesis" (If you are already aware of this this then just treat it as wry humor).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - Feb 18, 2017

380 by CcCharles »»
Apr 6, 1:32 AM

» feel sorry for yuna

Nagiue - Dec 24, 2023

6 by ItzElite »»
Dec 24, 2023 3:01 PM

» plot hole

MCA5EY - Sep 21, 2018

10 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jul 30, 2023 9:40 AM

» Why R+ - Mild Nudity?

winfoharso - Mar 4, 2020

19 by Kirito_online »»
Aug 10, 2022 5:06 AM

» Somebody should fix the Source from Light novel to Original

KiraShitpostKage - Jul 20, 2020

1 by Nurguburu »»
Dec 4, 2020 11:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.