Forum Settings
Forums
New
Retconned?
Dec 19, 2019 5:38 AM

Jul 2013

In that shitty timeskip ending for Adventure 02, it showed us that Digimon and humans can live together and we even had a short peek of their lives where Taichi was a diplomat/lawyer(?) with Agumon as his partner and etc. In the Last Evolution movie, it implies that it's going to be their... well... last time. What do you think? Will they retcon it? I sure hope so lol.
Dec 19, 2019 5:59 AM

May 2014
We can only hope they will. That ending was so awful. The trailers seem to be implying that the Digimon will be separated from their partners by the end of it. As depressing as that is, i think that should be what happens. This movie seems to be the last anime we'll be getting out of the Digimon Adventure series, and it would make sense to end things that way as a final goodbye to the series. It wouldn't be too surprising if that's what happens, considering the tri movies didn't have the most up beat ending either.

Dec 19, 2019 8:35 AM

Aug 2008
I personally loved the ending of 02. It gave us a nice closure of all the characters.
Dec 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Oct 2018
Adventure 2 ending was so bad, they're pretending we haven't see it and saying digimon and humans can't live together once they grown up, that's such a weird plot point because we all know it won't happen thanks to adventure 2 ending.
Dec 21, 2019 6:03 AM
Jul 2019
No that's impossible but I do hope we'll get some more details like Hikari &Takeru married, Koumi too. But overall they are heading towards the 02 ending if you look at their profiles and the university subjects they've picked. It's obvious that the ending will remain canon and the whole last evolution plotline is pointless looking at what we've seen. Well, with my luck we'll only get hints and they'll leave it open. Lmao.
lov3lymjDec 21, 2019 6:06 AM
Dec 26, 2019 11:51 PM
Jun 2009
Dragonball Super retcon the Z ending.

Anything is possible when money is involved.

Hopefully they retcon that Matt and Sora pairing while they're at it.
Dec 28, 2019 9:33 PM

Sep 2013
Like DBZ, I believe it's going to keep the ending, and just enter the Super and Tri and Last Kizuna entries as interquels.

The Uub and Adventer 2 time skips were just fine.
Dec 28, 2019 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Notice how you never see any evolved Digimon past Child other than Tailmon in the ending.

I'm kinda speculating that the "evolution" part of "Last Evolution" is literal, and they will never be able to evolve after this, but that's just a guess.

The ending and drama CDs for Tamers was painful enough, at least let the Adventure kids be happy.
Jan 8, 2020 2:21 PM
Mar 2014
they already said they wont

HeruruMeruru said:
Notice how you never see any evolved Digimon past Child other than Tailmon in the ending.

I'm kinda speculating that the "evolution" part of "Last Evolution" is literal, and they will never be able to evolve after this, but that's just a guess.

The ending and drama CDs for Tamers was painful enough, at least let the Adventure kids be happy.

Stingmon
Jun 17, 2021 12:59 AM

Mar 2012
They did not.

The fact they added the 02 kids in this movie. not to mention the scene when they were showing all the digidestined reuinted with their digimon if u look closely, they are all the same kids that were invovled in 02 during they were travelling all over the world meeting other nation digidestined kids.

Hell even the events of tri are still canon as meicomon was shown with her partner too, not to mention that some the main leads profession were the same as the epiloige, as for the few that were different their is still several years in between this and the events of the epilouge that is set in 2028.

So we know that sometime after these events they will reunite with them, the question is how?

Well this is stated as the last adventure, it could just mean this is the last adventure of tai digidestimed kids. Davis group still have theirs, maybe they can do another movie or series that focuses on them and lead to the events of the epilouge. I mean we still have the plot with dark genai and they mentioned with daemon and dark ocean whose plot was never really delt with.

This is probably why some people kind of hate the 02 ending with this movie as the tension of this movie is pretty much nullified.
Sep 21, 2021 4:20 AM

Oct 2008
I personally like the end of the 02, it kinda made a disclosure to the whole series, a true end so to speak.

With that said, I think that the author did like it too. The reason? He didn't change the future of the DigiDestined one single bit. All of them became the same thing as the ending of 02.

First, this movie premiss is full of holes. "If you grow up your link to your partner Digimon (and to the digital world too, I presume) it's over and they cease to exist". This idea has soo many holes in this movie that even I cannot count all of them!
Why did Tai and Mat need to get their "times up" in an epic fight? And why them? If it was a matter of age, Joe would be the first. If it was a matter of becoming an adult (since the girl was only a teen when her Digimon disappear) then Izzi (that has his own company), Mimi (same), Sora, and Joe (that is a Doctor) would already have their Digimon gone a long time ago. And that timing with Sora as well... C'mon!!

Another thing, if this is a "well-known case" to the point of the woman studying cases like that, why with the network that Izzi has, he never heard about that?? And Gennai did confirm that's was the case, soo it's not new!

Another thing, if grown adults cannot have Digimon, then the 02 never had a good ending. Let's remind it a little, the bad guy (a grown man) did bad stuff and was a receptacle for Malomyotismon. They destroyed Malomyotismon because "everyone can have a Digimon", that was the idea and the plot just originated around that. And the Digital World was destroyed and it was because the bad guy (again, an Adult) finally got his Digimon and give his life force to restore the digital world. With this movie: Not everyone can have Digimons; at some time those Digimons cease to exist; the bad guy never gets his Digimons hence never saved the Digital World. In sum, the world of this movie never could happen without that.

And yet another thing: They made the Digidestined have the same professions... Wich some of them would be impossible in this movie... Davis goes to New York to spread the Ramen outside Japan. He only accomplishes that with Veemon at his side (shown on the movie too), but with the movie premiss that would be impossible! Another one is Ken! He became the 1st cop with a Digimon as his partner, which is not possible with this film. But the worst case is Tai profession, the 1st Human Ambassador for the Digital World... How... can he do that... without connection to the digital world and his partner?? That does not make any sense!! And they try to make him go on that route in this movie too!!

There are much more holes than those, but those are the most obvious. I like the movie but I think this is more a sloppy transition to the Adventure 02 end... But with a lot of holes in the middle, that (un)fortunately will never be answered.
For the ones that like to bother others (like me) with "you should read the manga/LN", please stop. I don't read mangas, I will NOT read mangas, I will not listen to what manga readers complain in adaptation to the anime counterpart, I only watch anime except in very few and specific situations.
Jul 10, 2022 4:39 PM
Jul 2008
r_justo said:
I personally like the end of the 02, it kinda made a disclosure to the whole series, a true end so to speak.

With that said, I think that the author did like it too. The reason? He didn't change the future of the DigiDestined one single bit. All of them became the same thing as the ending of 02.

First, this movie premiss is full of holes. "If you grow up your link to your partner Digimon (and to the digital world too, I presume) it's over and they cease to exist". This idea has soo many holes in this movie that even I cannot count all of them!
Why did Tai and Mat need to get their "times up" in an epic fight? And why them? If it was a matter of age, Joe would be the first. If it was a matter of becoming an adult (since the girl was only a teen when her Digimon disappear) then Izzi (that has his own company), Mimi (same), Sora, and Joe (that is a Doctor) would already have their Digimon gone a long time ago. And that timing with Sora as well... C'mon!!

Another thing, if this is a "well-known case" to the point of the woman studying cases like that, why with the network that Izzi has, he never heard about that?? And Gennai did confirm that's was the case, soo it's not new!

Another thing, if grown adults cannot have Digimon, then the 02 never had a good ending. Let's remind it a little, the bad guy (a grown man) did bad stuff and was a receptacle for Malomyotismon. They destroyed Malomyotismon because "everyone can have a Digimon", that was the idea and the plot just originated around that. And the Digital World was destroyed and it was because the bad guy (again, an Adult) finally got his Digimon and give his life force to restore the digital world. With this movie: Not everyone can have Digimons; at some time those Digimons cease to exist; the bad guy never gets his Digimons hence never saved the Digital World. In sum, the world of this movie never could happen without that.

And yet another thing: They made the Digidestined have the same professions... Wich some of them would be impossible in this movie... Davis goes to New York to spread the Ramen outside Japan. He only accomplishes that with Veemon at his side (shown on the movie too), but with the movie premiss that would be impossible! Another one is Ken! He became the 1st cop with a Digimon as his partner, which is not possible with this film. But the worst case is Tai profession, the 1st Human Ambassador for the Digital World... How... can he do that... without connection to the digital world and his partner?? That does not make any sense!! And they try to make him go on that route in this movie too!!

There are much more holes than those, but those are the most obvious. I like the movie but I think this is more a sloppy transition to the Adventure 02 end... But with a lot of holes in the middle, that (un)fortunately will never be answered.

Thanks for summarizing the story! Yeah the "Digimon will be gone the child become adult" is a large plothole.

What makes "adult" in this context? Why did the antagonist's partner disappear when she was only 14..?

I feel that the creator go lazy and think "We don't want to continue the Adventure series, what should we do now? How about making Digimon disappear when they go 'adult'?"

I'm ok if it was foresighted in previous stories, but like you said, we have story involving adults with Digimons and even have characters that rely on their Digimon for their job.

I feel that the current story creator just got the job to finish Adventure without even researched or watched the series before.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Stray - Feb 20, 2020

99 by removed-user »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:26 PM

» Digimon and adulthood

Belsel - Aug 20, 2021

1 by Fotsuan »»
Aug 27, 2021 2:49 PM

» Do you need to watch the full series?

Lyonato - Apr 14, 2021

2 by Belsel »»
Aug 20, 2021 5:25 AM

» Continuation of TRI?

Bronos23 - Jul 21, 2019

16 by bryansao »»
Apr 1, 2021 4:02 PM

» Letter/Form at the End of Movie

K4tj4 - Sep 10, 2020

4 by clovers618 »»
Mar 25, 2021 1:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.