Forum Settings
Forums

Chronological travels through anime/manga history - a blog

New
Nov 21, 2019 3:10 PM
Dec 2015
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this breaks the rules of advertising or not. It's for a hobby project, so it's not like I'm ever gonna make any money off of it so... Anyway I was hoping to get some feedback on a project I've been working on.

About 5 years ago I wanted to watch some anime, cuz i got tired of rewatching South Park and stuff. So after googling some recommendations. I decided on Kino's Journey. But then I read it was inspired by Galaxy Express 999, so I watched some episodes of that. I liked the atmosphere, researched Leiji Matsumoto and then I watched Space Battleship Yamato. Before I knew it I went to Astro Boy and started doing a chronological watch of every anime I could find.

Then I realized alot of anime was based on manga, and if I was getting so into it I might as well build up a proper knowledge and go all the way back to the origins of animation and comics. So the whole thing got out of hand, and I've been doing a chronological readthrough and viewing of anything I can find involving animation or graphic novels or whatever.

I have now reached the year 2000, and thought maybe people might be interested in my thoughts about the evolution of the medium or want some recommendations. I definitely have gained some insights on who-influenced-whom or what was innovative at the time. Trends, evolutions,...

So I've started a series of blogposts on this website:
https://yesterdaysjoe.com/
One series is about animation history, Golden Age cartoons, etc.
One series is about manga, with my favourite ones from each decade/year...
the next one I'll start will be about anime.
Would love to do comics and graphic novels too, but it's hard to be complete about it because of copyright.
I'm planning to do some in-depth articles and reviews on there too. Maybe do some list-videos on Youtube.

I'm trying to make it light, funny and personal. No point in trying to pass for an encyclopedia when I'm not actually learned about the subject, just an obsessed amateur :p

Does anyone have some thoughts or feedback about this idea or the website itself? Do you know of any similar places or people on the web?
And would anyone maybe like to be affiliated and help each other gain some traffic?

Thanks!

(I haven't actually read or seen every single episode or chapter of everything, just the ones I liked :p I did check out the first chapter or episode of practically everything I could find!)

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:56 AM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Apr 24, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.