Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 6, 2019 1:03 AM

Jul 2013
I'm one of those people who used to didn't get the hype with this show and you might see one my old threads here but after a re-watch a few years later, I'm finally starting to appreciate it for what it is. From a thematic standpoint, this movie is phenomenal and delivers it well. I don't think the characters were ever the main point of the show but how cohesive the themes are being presented from the story and symbolism. They're irrelevant to me in a sense where they're just tools to press the themes forward. It's not supposed to be a happy romance so the ending was completely satisfying despite what a lot of people say. It was about Takaki finally taking a step forward to a better life and move on which he does. It's a good ending.

The movie has fallen to the 7 mark and before you all say ratings doesn't matter, I know..... it's just that in this case, it used to be rated pretty highly and a recommended classic. I'm kinda shocked it has fallen this low through the years.
Nov 14, 2021 10:52 PM
Dec 2017
understandable, have a nice day and life.

Sep 11, 2022 5:17 PM

Oct 2015
Your Name seems to have effectively replaced this one in being Shinkai's magnum opus. It feels weird calling an anime obsolete but I think it fits here. Time is a funny thing.
Sep 29, 2022 2:45 AM

Nov 2014
I think the problem is people discovered Shinkai, Makoto because of Your Name and were expecting more of the same from this film.

Thing is you cant compare a novel to a poem and expect the same experience out of it.

It's a 7.5 now, a 8.3 when I first watched it, but will forever be a 10 in my heart.

「 俺を誰だと思っていやがる!」
嵐仙人
Signature | Transience

Oct 15, 2022 12:06 PM

Feb 2021
i get how people feel about this anime, and i was like them too but somehow this has grown on me so much that now i think its a near-masterpiece, again i understand why its low
Feb 8, 2023 7:10 PM
Nov 2020
Like it's one of the movies that u get to understand as it gets older lol. It's a realistic story. That's why
Feb 19, 2023 9:28 PM

Jan 2013
The weighted score is an 8 on AniDB, the average is even higher. Just MAL things. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 24, 2023 2:45 AM

Feb 2019
I was checking my completed anime list and I noticed I rated this 9/10 and I was wondering what others have to say about it. Truth is I watched this around the time it came out, when I was a teenager and loved every minute of it, but I wonder if I'd feel the same way if I rewatched it now.
Feb 24, 2023 3:02 AM

Jan 2013
NorthPaul said:
I was checking my completed anime list and I noticed I rated this 9/10 and I was wondering what others have to say about it. Truth is I watched this around the time it came out, when I was a teenager and loved every minute of it, but I wonder if I'd feel the same way if I rewatched it now.
It's generally regarded as being geared towards an adult audience, so you would probably still enjoy it.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 24, 2023 3:19 AM

Feb 2019
LostSpectre said:
NorthPaul said:
It's generally regarded as being geared towards an adult audience, so you would probably still enjoy it.
I'd probably still love it. Five centimeters per second was one of those movies that I really loved, but also made me kind of sad, so I just didn't want to watch it again. I might give it another shot when I'm in the mood for that kind of movie.
Apr 20, 2023 5:26 AM
Mar 2010
I came here to check the score of one of my most loved anime and was really stunned. 
There are so many ongoings with >8 score, and this masterpiece is <8. 
I have rewatched "5 centimeters" like 10 times. It's really good. For me its 10/10.
I can understand that someone dont got the feelings and rate it lower, but not 7.5!
After all, I prefer earlier works of Shinkai. I absolutely love "Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko", much more than Your Name, which I enjoed as well though.
I really really want to believe, that he is doing what he want to do and not what the audience expect.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.