Forum Settings
Forums

People should stop using "realistic" as positive/negative critique. "Realism" needs context on why it's good or bad.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 29, 2019 12:49 PM

Feb 2018
Vilkku92 said:
foxsuprise said:

I can definitely see your point, thanks for responding. Documentaries, which cover non-fiction, depend a lot more on realism, which I wholeheartedly agree. I would say that it is hard to pull off such a feat in anime. It depends on the context on how it's pulled off. Like sometimes they also dramatize/romanticize real world scenarios to make a plot point more impactful, which opens whole new can of worms in the realm of realism.

I was mostly thinking about films like Armadillo and those reality series about soldiers in Afganistan, which don't have any dramatizations of real events, maps with animated arrows or voice-overs explaining what is happening.

Fair point. Thanks for showing a documentary in which utilizes this particular technique to convey a realistic, non-fictional war movie effectively. I haven't watched this movie before, so I'll check it out.

Of course, I also don't really think that for a war movie to be realistic it needs to pretend the cameraman is actually there with the soldiers. You seemed to imply that the opposite of a "realistic" war movie is a war movie utilizing traditional filming techniques, which I don't quite agree with. [...] There are war movies lying between the extremes of "documentary" and "absurdist comedy", many of which are usually described as realistic.

I agree that non-fiction movies that show dramatization/romanticization does not mean a movie is "unrealistic". Similarly to fiction, a real-world scenario dramatized can seem to be realistic to which it can be effective depending on the context. I am arguing that absolute rigidity over real-world scenarios being described from a first-person pov using this particular technique may not show things as effectively in fiction. Every single element being realistic in fiction in this specific technique may hinder it. It can work, but it's hard to pull off and depends on the context. It does not mean there aren't other techniques to show a "realistic" war movie, it's just one way that can hinder it.
I can see what you mean about traditional filming techniques, and admit it is a mistake on my part. And I can also see what you mean by my implication of the opposite way--i didn't mean a movie isn't "realistic" any more, rather than these elements not being completely realistic, and that's not a bad technique to use. I should've worded it better. I do stand corrected about realism in this technique can't work whatsoever, like your example in Armadillo.

The realm of realism in non-fiction is a lot different than fiction, I agree just because it has fictional elements (absurdist comedy) in it, it doesn't mean it's suddenly fiction, nor "unrealistic". At the same time, fictional elements can water down real events and are not classified as documentaries, like Titanic. Non-fiction is a whole new can of worms in this regard in the realm of realism.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

54 by OreoKetchup »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

19 by Maou_heika »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

20 by DigiCat »»
13 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

11 by Avicebrons »»
22 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

53 by maya2003s »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.