Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

"Anime that went downhill after season 1" Attack on titan ranked #3 on this topic on crunchyroll

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 1, 2019 9:33 PM

Apr 2019
Usually children tend to say that season 1 was the best part because they do not know any better, also people with lower comprehensional abilities tend to think the same. On the other hand more mature people capable of rational logical and analytical thought will realize the importance and structure of each season and why this means that it gets progressively better through building the fundamental aspects of this story.
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 4, 2019 7:37 AM

Jan 2017
IMO the first season was the best season so far (excluding S3 part 2) because of awesome directing, great music from Sawano and interesting premise. It was one of my first anime and I remember all feelings that I have. So it was really awesome experience.
S2 was a little bit worse because of slow pacing and CGI Colossal Titan, but still very good.
S3 part 1 was a disappointment for me because the pacing was rushed (I prefer slower pacing over rushed even if it’s too slow). Also I watched S3 part 1 at the same time with Legends of the Galactic Heroes, so politics in LOGH is much more complex and interesting comparing to AOT. I mean that I like politics a lot more than action, but I don’t think it is very well written in S1 part 1 (I haven’t read the manga, so maybe it is a lot better there).
S3 part 2 now is very exciting and maybe it will be the best season of AOT. However, directing is also unstable: episodes 1,4,6 were really good, but a very hype episode 5 was a disappointment for me even though the animation, plot events and character development was good.
Jun 4, 2019 7:50 AM
Jul 2017
Maybe it’s not in terms of show quality but rather the hype itself. The story is getting better by the season but the hype isn’t what it used to be with all these seasonal breaks.
Jun 4, 2019 8:26 AM
Apr 2019
Nim0174 said:
Usually children tend to say that season 1 was the best part because they do not know any better, also people with lower comprehensional abilities tend to think the same. On the other hand more mature people capable of rational logical and analytical thought will realize the importance and structure of each season and why this means that it gets progressively better through building the fundamental aspects of this story.

you took the words right out of my mouth....
Jun 4, 2019 9:54 AM
Feb 2019
JUUSEE said:
I think it's a recurring thing where the 1st season of any anime is usually rated higher than subsequent seasons. The way I see it, people are brought into the show by its initial premise, and continue to expect the same things throughout the whole show.

AOT was initially a sort of cyberpunk survival horror show, where people fly around slashing titans or getting eaten. Then the story develops. Titan shifters are introduced. People will go, "convenient plot device", "bs development". This was introduced pretty early on, so it's a lot more tolerable for viewers.

Season 2 comes. More titan shifters. More "bs development", and "convenient plot device". We focus more on the titan shifter conflict than the survival horror aspect of the show. The story is slowly deviating from that viewers initially came for.

Season 3 will ruin these viewers. This is probably the biggest tonal shift the series had up to that point. The OP song got so much shit by the anime only community when it came out, plus a few manga readers. The politics really turned quite a people off, claiming that it wasn't what AOT is supposed to be.

TL:DR, people came for the initial premise and expects seasons 2 and onwards to reuse season 1's formula.

But the thing is Season 1 was only a simple way to let Isayama introduce his story, Season 1 was a zoomed picture, whenever the story develops the picture gets zoomed out more and more, it's not like he changed his story from season 2 onwards, that was supposed to happen from the very beginning, I read somewhere that Isayama already planned the end and the ins and outs of the story from the beginning, that's why he drops so many hints throughout the entire seasons, it's like he just wanted us to believe in S1 that it was only about humans Vs Titans, and they're trying to survive, he focused on that more than the characters moments, even though he did it with Jean, but I think he did it on purpose.

Now S3 part 1 is much much much better than season 1, everything gets better whenever the story goes on.
Jun 4, 2019 11:30 PM

Oct 2015
crybabynes said:
JUUSEE said:
I think it's a recurring thing where the 1st season of any anime is usually rated higher than subsequent seasons. The way I see it, people are brought into the show by its initial premise, and continue to expect the same things throughout the whole show.

AOT was initially a sort of cyberpunk survival horror show, where people fly around slashing titans or getting eaten. Then the story develops. Titan shifters are introduced. People will go, "convenient plot device", "bs development". This was introduced pretty early on, so it's a lot more tolerable for viewers.

Season 2 comes. More titan shifters. More "bs development", and "convenient plot device". We focus more on the titan shifter conflict than the survival horror aspect of the show. The story is slowly deviating from that viewers initially came for.

Season 3 will ruin these viewers. This is probably the biggest tonal shift the series had up to that point. The OP song got so much shit by the anime only community when it came out, plus a few manga readers. The politics really turned quite a people off, claiming that it wasn't what AOT is supposed to be.

TL:DR, people came for the initial premise and expects seasons 2 and onwards to reuse season 1's formula.

But the thing is Season 1 was only a simple way to let Isayama introduce his story, Season 1 was a zoomed picture, whenever the story develops the picture gets zoomed out more and more, it's not like he changed his story from season 2 onwards, that was supposed to happen from the very beginning, I read somewhere that Isayama already planned the end and the ins and outs of the story from the beginning, that's why he drops so many hints throughout the entire seasons, it's like he just wanted us to believe in S1 that it was only about humans Vs Titans, and they're trying to survive, he focused on that more than the characters moments, even though he did it with Jean, but I think he did it on purpose.

Now S3 part 1 is much much much better than season 1, everything gets better whenever the story goes on.

That's true. I'm still impressed at how Isayama is still able to craft a consistent narrative after all these years and the sheer amount of development the series has gone through. I just feel like some people stay zoomed in on the picture even as the story develops, and keeps using it to judge the rest of the story.
Jun 5, 2019 12:17 AM

Jan 2013
@Gon_x_freecs
When the reveal totally changes the tone of the series for worse, it's a bad twist.

Not that this is a good enough of a reason to the hivemind lol
Jun 5, 2019 12:19 AM
Mar 2018
CondemneDio said:
@Gon_x_freecs
When the reveal totally changes the tone of the series for worse, it's a bad twist.

Then what would YOU have liked to see from the reveal ? I am curious.
Jun 5, 2019 12:24 AM

Jan 2013
Gon_x_freecs said:
CondemneDio said:
@Gon_x_freecs

As the story went on, I thought it would go for a village of basically anarchists, that somehow got titan shifting powers. I think a war between them and the people inside the walls would've been infinitely better than what we got.
Jun 5, 2019 12:38 AM
Mar 2018
CondemneDio said:
Gon_x_freecs said:

As the story went on, I thought it would go for a village of basically anarchists, that somehow got titan shifting powers. I think a war between them and the people inside the walls would've been infinitely better than what we got.

So the banal battle of black and white ? A village where people are evil for the sake of being evil ? Thank god the author didn't choose this beaten path of actions and went for something else.
Jun 5, 2019 12:39 AM

Jan 2013
Gon_x_freecs said:
CondemneDio said:

So the banal battle of black and white ? A village where people are evil for the sake of being evil ? Thank god the author didn't choose this beaten path of actions and went for something else.

Nope, don't put words into my mouth. A battle between two morally ambigious factions without the need for chapter after chapter of stuff and people I don't care about.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

548 by ARTisANexplosion »»
Yesterday, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.