Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 7, 2019 9:35 PM
Apr 2015
So... I just finished watching DTB and naturally it left me with more questions than answers.

The plan was to watch season two and the OVA's and then potentially read the manga. However I've come to the realisation that the manga and anime do not follow on.

Therefore I have a couple of questions and if somebody would take the time to answer them it would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Is the original manga (https://myanimelist.net/manga/1016/Darker_than_Black__Kuro_no_Keiyakusha) set before the first season of the anime or is it an alternative version that has nothing to do with the anime?

According to wikipedia the second manga is set after the first season of the anime and completely ignores the second season and OVA's, so onto my next question.

2.) Which is considered canon the second season of the anime or the second manga? (https://myanimelist.net/manga/14975/Darker_than_Black__Shikkoku_no_Hana)
Jun 4, 2019 1:44 AM

Aug 2009
As I had said in an earlier post... The right chronological order, matching the manga, is:

1. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha / Manga
2. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha / Serie
3. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha - Sakura no Hana no Mankai no Shita / OVA (you can watch between episode 10 and 20 of the first serie)
4. Darker than Black: Shikkoku no Hana / Manga
5. Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden / OVA
6. Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini / Serie
空洞空洞...
Jun 8, 2019 4:53 PM
Apr 2015
Hey, thanks for commenting and helping to establish a sense of order, I was beginning to think this would never get answered.

While I also want to establish the DTB canon, quite frankly I don't think it's going to get answered, as there's no answers available.

For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about, the second manga (Jet Black Flower), "is a new story taking place one year after the events of season 1 and it replaces the events of both the OVAs and season 2 completely".

With that being said I'll ask a new question:

3.) Is watching the OVA's and season two worthwhile, given that Jet Black Flower could be considered canon and thus watching the OVAs and season two being utterly pointless?
Jan 27, 2022 12:03 AM
Oct 2020
Lord_Dan said:
Hey, thanks for commenting and helping to establish a sense of order, I was beginning to think this would never get answered.

While I also want to establish the DTB canon, quite frankly I don't think it's going to get answered, as there's no answers available.

For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about, the second manga (Jet Black Flower), "is a new story taking place one year after the events of season 1 and it replaces the events of both the OVAs and season 2 completely".

3.) Is watching the OVA's and season two worthwhile, given that Jet Black Flower could be considered canon and thus watching the OVAs and season two being utterly pointless?

How is the manga? I know this thread is years old so dont know if youll respond.

Season 1 is one of my favorite anime but i hated season 2 and the ova was just ok. I pretty much only really enjoyed season 1.

So if its true that they made a manga replacing ova/season 2 im wondering how it is
Jan 27, 2022 12:04 AM
Oct 2020
Lord_Dan said:

How is the manga? I know this thread is years old so dont know if youll respond.

Season 1 is one of my favorite anime but i hated season 2 and the ova was just ok. I pretty much only really enjoyed season 1.

So if its true that they made a manga replacing ova/season 2 im wondering how it is
Mar 19, 2022 3:01 PM
Apr 2015
@Mq84jdk

To this day I still don’t know what’s considered canon, as there hasn’t been any DTB media in over 10 years and because the franchise is a complicated mess!

I never read the manga so unfortunately, I can’t tell you if its any good or not.

However, I can provide you with some information, you might find to be beneficial:

“There have been two Darker than Black manga. The first, illustrated by Noki Ya, was serialized in Monthly Asuka.”

“This was the first manga based on Darker than Black, featuring Kana Shino as the main character. It is 9 chapters long, and also has an afterword and two omake chapters associated with it. It is not part of the anime's storyline.”

The second manga is called ‘Darker than Black: Shikkoku No Hana’.

“Darker than Black: Shikkoku no Hana is a manga drawn by the original character designer of the Darker than Black anime, Iwahara Yuji. It is not a manga adaptation of any of the existing anime episodes, but incorporates an entirely new story to the franchise that takes place after the first season of the anime.”

Season 2 of the Anime takes place after Season 1, however Tensai Okamura (The Director of Darker than Black), seems to have diverted much from the previous season.

“In Gemini of the Meteor, Okamura considered diverging from the previous season. Okamura, who found the first series' narrative confusing and rough, wanted to change the series' tone; Suo was created in contrast to Hei. Okamura hoped that the changes would appeal to new viewers, who would then understand the first season.”

Conclusion:

The Darker than Black anime does not follow the original manga and is instead its own adaption, with elements incorporated from the manga.

The second manga (Darker than Black: Shikkoku no Hana) is created and illustrated by Iwahara Yuji, the original character designer of the Darker than Black anime and not Noki Ya, who created the original manga. This manga does not follow the first manga, instead following Season 1 of the Anime and ignoring Season 2 and the OVA’s.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.