Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2019 4:41 PM
Jan 2017
Requesting to change the name, from Firo to Filo ( https://myanimelist.net/character/112909/Firo ).

Anime source
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35790/Tate_no_Yuusha_no_Nariagari

Based on the title of Episode 05 which is "Filo" and also it was stated by the main character its name, which is also Filo. There's also a scene in which the name of Filo was shown (in group/party info perspective).
Feb 17, 2019 6:54 PM
Jan 2017
(I can drop this as another case) There's also a character name here in MAL which uses rōmaji and English translation. [That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime] Verudora Tenpesuto is the romaji but English translation is Veldora Tempest and MAL named this character as Verudora Tempest which ambiguity can be raised. Are they using English or just rōmaji?

If I'm not wrong there's no "lo" in Japanese alphabet/writing system.
azia_jjFeb 18, 2019 1:07 AM
Feb 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Nov 2016
Firo sounds better than Filo and its the canon way to romanize Her name.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2019 7:26 PM

Jan 2018
Yeah, it's almost strictly romanji. I never understood the exceptions like the one you mentioned, though. The name that's always bothered me the most is Rin Tohsaka (Fate series) being spelled "Toosaka". I understand it's correct romanji, but it looks like shit spelled that way.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Feb 17, 2019 7:57 PM
Jan 2017
So MAL is using rōmaji/romanization in naming all characters here not their English equivalent name?

If it's yes (for romanization) then they should rename bunch of information in their database. And there's no point of submitting this request forum.

And also, you can't just choose name based on which is sounds better. You should named it appropriately.
Feb 18, 2019 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
azia_jj said:
So MAL is using rōmaji/romanization in naming all characters here not their English equivalent name?

If it's yes (for romanization) then they should rename bunch of information in their database. And there's no point of submitting this request forum.

And also, you can't just choose name based on which is sounds better. You should named it appropriately.
MAL will use the romaji if the original name is in kanji or hiragana and will use the English spelling if the name is written in katakana. Filo's name is written in katakana so you are correct that it should be written as Filo on MAL. In names like Tohsaka (Toosaka) and Nico (Niko) they are written in hiragana so their official name doesn't matter to MAL because of their rules. I think the weirdest one is Sakuraba Laura who gets called Rola on MAL. Rola is the official spelling, but everyone calls her Laura, including the characters in the anime.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Character & People DB - Recent Merges/Removals ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kuroshiroi - Dec 6, 2009

1394 by Kitsunes97 »»
1 hour ago

» Tatsunoko Production profile pic disappeared?

EdgyEcchiSenpai - Apr 17

1 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 1:45 AM

» Character Picture Move Request

SimpleXtra - Apr 17

0 by SimpleXtra »»
Apr 17, 3:39 AM

» Character Picture Change Request

queserasera - Apr 16

0 by queserasera »»
Apr 16, 1:42 PM

» Picture Change/Remove Request

grin3671 - Jul 19, 2022

1 by Zuudachi »»
Apr 10, 7:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.