Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 22, 2018 5:29 AM
Dec 2018
Are the characters really beating on Arima, knowing he's an abuse victim? Especially Tsubaki?
Maybe it's all about opinion, and some ppl are OK with that. Just can't see myself hitting my family and friends, especially if they were victims of abuse. Idgaf if it's a man or woman.

And I personally found Tsubaki and kaori both manipulative. I think it was wrong of kaori to force Arima to get into music again, despite knowing his trauma. I know she has good intentions but I think that doesn't matter. You still need to face the consequences .
And tsubaki basically telling Arima she is the only one who'll love him. Isn't that what abusers tell their victims so they won't leave?
Jan 1, 2019 7:36 AM

May 2011
Agreed with everything. I was sickened by the anime three episodes in, but I still watched the rest just to find out what the fuss was all about. Nope, didn't like it; didn't like it at all.

Kousei is very clearly suffering from some sort of mental trauma from his abuse (my armchair diagnosis says PTSD, but what do I know) and playing the piano is a trigger for him. People who are supposed to be his friends - who also have full knowledge about his abuse - are forcing this poor child to continuously face his trigger, then acting offended when he isn't magically "cured".

I didn't like either Kaori or Tsubaki for exactly the reasons you mentioned and it was especially horrifying when both of them essentially ganged up on him. No, it's not cute because they're two little girls and he's a boy, and boys can't be bullied by girls, amirite? Tsubaki was arguably worse, especially since it's been proven that she's physically stronger than Kousei and is constantly hitting him for "comedy". Just.. no. I can't describe my rage at her character when this happened.

So when I watched it, a lot of my friends on a Discord server made similar observations to mine, albeit less harsh, save for this one guy. His personality is a lot like Kousei's - he's quiet, sweet and quite introverted - and he loved Shigatsu to bits. I didn't want to out and out fight him because he'd been nothing but stellar ever since I'd known him, so we got to discussing Kousei as a character. See where I thought that Tsubaki and Kaori's pushiness was uncomfortable, this guy put it down to the girls doing what friends do. He's quite introverted like I said and hated going outside to hang with friends, so his friends would often bug him till he gave in. So he just saw the girls as friends with good intentions.

End of the discussion, he still stood by his point and I didn't engage any further. I liked the guy a lot and I didn't want to burn any bridges over anime. I imagine that most anime viewers are like him, hence the high scores and critical acclaim.

This became longer than I expected it to. I clearly have a lot of feelings about this anime. ( ̄▽ ̄;)
Jan 27, 2019 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
You are right. This is painfully clear in the anime. Also, the "comedy" bits have an effect on the normal design characters when Kousei's leg is hurting the day after Tsubaki kicked him or when Kousei commented on Kaori being violent a couple times.

Feb 1, 2019 11:46 AM

Sep 2018
Yea this violence humour is the only point big thing i dislike about this show...
Feb 1, 2019 12:01 PM

Nov 2017
I think you've made a good point worth considering, and it's very interesting.

However, in my opinion, and being an introvert myself, I can see 1. how introverts would be affected positively by attention from friends when they want to keep all of their emotions inside of them. That's not psychologically healthy.

And my main point, 2. Some talents are so great as in the case of Arima, the main character of the show, that losing that talent is tragic for everyone involved.

Yes, his mother was a witch, but she also created this amazing talent. Hiding that away is bad for the world and society.

His value is also that he inspires others. When you lose a voice who is central to an art, it can have negative impacts on that art. It can take time to overcome such a loss and in the end it may never be overcome.

Such as Heath Ledger, Kurt Cobain, that time Dave Chappelle hid in a hole for 15 years.

If you're still alive, friends are going to chide you to rejoin the party. Plus his friends want to see Arima get better. Arima is important to them.
Mar 7, 2019 8:49 AM
Aug 2018
Hmmm....I can't argue on the fact that he was being bullied by those girls , but overall I love this Anime,,, really heart touching!!! Take it seriously man, openings and endings are superb and also piano soundtracks are also lit & I love Kaori ;)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.