Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is it just me who finds Emma annoying ?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 3, 2020 9:45 PM
Nov 2020
She is so annoying people say her optimism is good but if I was in her shoes I would’ve went with Ray’s oringinal plan of just the 3 of them. You have to realize when your trying to survive having optimism gives you false hope thinking of the most logical situation where YOU survive is what comes first. Which is why I hate how they’re changing Ray to be more like Emma. Emma is just setting herself up more pain by trying to give hope.
Nov 11, 2020 3:11 AM
Sep 2017
Super annoying. I hate when mangaka doesnt give her a lesson for being an absolute naive, and make a good character development. But nah, nothing.. she just being naive and everything goes as she want. I feel like i was too dumb to hate her naivety because everything goes right with her decision.
We know that world doesnt work like that
Nov 24, 2020 3:27 AM
Aug 2018
Lol why do you think everyone gives bad reviews and the score dropped from 8,80's? This manga was absolutely amazing, dropped so bad after 110's. The closest thing we have got is AoT, you can see the difference...
Dec 4, 2020 7:17 AM

Dec 2020
SerhaTR0483-2 said:
Lol why do you think everyone gives bad reviews and the score dropped from 8,80's? This manga was absolutely amazing, dropped so bad after 110's. The closest thing we have got is AoT, you can see the difference...
Nah, it totally deserves the rating drop it got. Not only the story worsened with each chapter in second half, but the art became so trashy by the end, character design were so inconsistent
Dec 26, 2020 7:52 PM

Nov 2009
For me Emma is an amazing character and Im so glad that we finally see a girl main character in shounen
Feb 4, 2021 9:33 PM
Feb 2021
Yea totally.. Dropped the anime after season 1 coz now anime is too much focused on emma.. Which i hate.. Ray should have been the main lead
A female mc just doesn't have that pull....
Feb 7, 2021 4:58 PM
Dec 2020
Yes, she’s too extra in everything, too good too naïve and too postive
Mar 1, 2021 2:41 PM
Jan 2021
Only people who are too soft can tolerate Emma. Thank god this is anime. If this was real life, fools like Emma would get even Norman and Ray killed.
These "too good at heart" anime characters have always annoyed me, like can you guys use your brain even once ?
Mar 1, 2021 3:04 PM

Jul 2020
she's even more annoying than she was in manga
Mar 1, 2021 3:49 PM
Jan 2017
I can't stand her. It's just that the series started in a mature way about topics not considered in so many shows (at least in the series, anime and manga I've read until now) and also with something so fragile as childs.

We are presented with Ray and Norman, 2 unthinkable geniuses for their age, even so that they can think and understand with the mind of a person who had lived +40 years (this is something that is hard to me to accept). They consider everything always and have a realistic approach.

Then there's Emma who is obnoxious and stubborn to the point of endanger a whole plan bound to succes just because she wants to. It doesn't fit with what the shows introducts you to and doesn't fit with how serious the show think of himself, even with characters like Ray, Norman and Isabelle (Mama).
I know that a character has to be positive to be the moral powerhouse of the group but Emma's optimism goes through the roof. If you do something she doesn't like she throws that scary looking face (oh I'm shaking...) but when presented the oportunity to kill someone... nah, it's too hard, i can't...

Now we know why there has to be characters like Norman and Ray. Someone has to do the things Emma wants to do but not to let the viewer see (and believe) that Emma did it, it was Norman/Ray. Or that's what I think.

It's sad. There are some good characters but everything is in vain because Emma is the star and no one deserves to shine brighter... In my eyes the show had potential, a lot, but Emma ruined it.
Mar 19, 2021 9:17 PM

Aug 2020
Alara_usagi said:
For me Emma is an amazing character and Im so glad that we finally see a girl main character in shounen

How about Kill la Kill?
And there's alot girl MC in shounen anime, even in manga.
And this anime got 3 Main Character but more focus on this Emma, and alot anime got a Girl MC too even in "Naruto" Sakura is consider as a MC, but the Main Focus is on Naruto.
So to call
Alara_usagi said:
Im so glad that we finally see a girl main character in shounen
is kinda wrong cause in shonen there's a lot Anime that focus on the Girl MC too

I do think that she a great characters she smart, she strong, and got agility. But the One Thing that the reason why i dropped the Manga is her Naive Personality.

I just read the spoiler of the Manga. But to think that she got character development,pffft maybe my expectations is too high. The story is good to me but the Characters ruins it, IMO.

vade retro Satana
戻って、サタン

Mar 19, 2021 9:27 PM

Jan 2020
Emma in season 2 is insufferable

Mar 19, 2021 11:42 PM

Jan 2020
I found Emma to be annoying during the first arc, but part of why I loved the Goldy Pond Arc so much is that Emma gets a ton of growth and development. So her optimism is merited when we get to the endgame of the series.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Mar 23, 2021 11:55 PM
Feb 2021
Auvrish said:
BitterBones said:

Well, thanks for the disgusting comment. You could keep your oh-so-correct opinion to yourself, no thanks. Ray doesn't agree with you on the hatred anyway.

I personally like her. Yeah, she's too idealistic and a little naive n even borderline annoying at times but she has made stuff work for the most part so far so I am going to keep rooting for her.
Thanks for your disgusting opinion that nobody wanted.Now go stand in front of a mirror and masturbate while looking at your positive optimistic face

I haven't even read the manga but I am loving this comment section but anyway thanks for making me laugh @Auvrish
I thought that characters will often die here and there will be a painful and horrifying ways of children dying, emotional choices and hard ones too but after reading so much about this naive protagonist which everyone(the main cast) listens to I don't think I will read it. I don't want a naive protagonist in a horror story but a realistic one if you have any suggestions please give me some.
Ansh2004Mar 24, 2021 12:07 AM
Mar 25, 2021 8:31 AM
Dec 2018
It's not as much Emma's fault as it is the story's. The problem is that Emma makes difficult choices, i.e., saving everyone, but she doesn't have to make much effort to achieve what she wants, especially after the Goldy pond arc. Neither does she face any real consequences for her choice, which impact her character development in any significant way. This creates a lack of depth and disconnects the reader from the characters and their strife. This is why it easier for most people to connect with Norman when he returns because his motivations are backed by experiences and planning. On the contrary, by the end, Emma becomes a character greater than the story itself. She is unaffected by her surroundings and apparently follows the inverse Murphy's Law; anything that needs to happen for her to succeed will happen. Her otherworldly luck makes her achievements seem lacklustre, and her struggles shallow.
There is also the point that as the story progresses, even though more characters are being introduced, in reality for the readers, the characters are successively being reduced to the trio of Emma, (someone who is relevant for that specific arc) and, "Emma's family". I think these are the reasons why Emma comes off as annoying as the story isn't fleshed out enough to carry a character with such strong ideals. A great example of a story where this idealistic view of saving everyone works is Dr Stone during the stone wars saga. The story takes responsibility for the decisions of the protagonist and makes him work for it instead of handing it out to him on a silver platter.

TL;DR Emma seems annoying because she is extremely lucky and therefore unrealistic and hard to connect with.

P.S.
Most of this is only valid for parts after the Goldy Pond arc. I know I repeated the same point like 7 times, but that's how bad it is IMO. If you didn't like the Dr Stone analogy I apologise for it, I couldn't think of any other example off the top of my head.
BLiNK129Mar 25, 2021 8:39 AM
Apr 6, 2021 11:55 AM
May 2020
How can a female character be the main protagonist of a shounen which is made to cater boys!!! How can a boy relate with a girl huh?
Apr 11, 2021 9:01 PM
Oct 2018
Ansh2004 said:
Auvrish said:
Thanks for your disgusting opinion that nobody wanted.Now go stand in front of a mirror and masturbate while looking at your positive optimistic face

I haven't even read the manga but I am loving this comment section but anyway thanks for making me laugh @Auvrish
I thought that characters will often die here and there will be a painful and horrifying ways of children dying, emotional choices and hard ones too but after reading so much about this naive protagonist which everyone(the main cast) listens to I don't think I will read it. I don't want a naive protagonist in a horror story but a realistic one if you have any suggestions please give me some.

Watch parasyte (anime) it's only 24ep .i think u will love it.
Apr 12, 2021 1:37 AM
Feb 2021
Auvrish said:
Ansh2004 said:

Watch parasyte (anime) it's only 24ep .i think u will love it.

Thanks for the recommendation I will check it out sometime.
Apr 12, 2021 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
I personally don't find Emma annoying, but I can see why her naivety would annoy other people. Especially when she doesn't really change, if I recall correctly.
Apr 20, 2021 1:00 PM
Feb 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
If not for Emma, Norman would have been fine leaving with just three of them alone. Ray would have actually killed himself towards the end of the first arc.
Emma was always the driving point. From the very start I saw Emma as the MAIN MAIN character of the story and as it progressed, it became more relevant, especially during the amusement-park chapter when Ray was just left behind the curtain. I was pretty surprised to see her at the bottom of the trio, considering Ray, and especially Norman (since he disappears after the first arc) had more fav's despite them contributing much less to the story than Emma.
Norman and Ray may be smarter and more mature, but without Emma they would have failed. Emma's stubbornness is what makes her special.
Screentime is not directly proportional to popularity. Take the most popular example i.e AoT
Apr 25, 2021 10:06 PM

Oct 2008
It’s not that I dislike Emma. I like her, but I do not think that how she acts makes sense after what she’s been through somewhere around chapter 110’ish.

In fact, reading that made me come here wondering if anyone else had the same issues I did.

Saving everyone is good, great even. But when the men with guns stand there and threaten your family, you fucking shoot them. Not sit there shivering, wondering if you can kill a human being. Or maybe you do, because, you know, 13 year old child. But I think they’re sort of at the point where the trauma they’ve been through has so desensitized them that it shouldn’t really be a consideration. And then have a bit of character development when you realize that, yes, it is acceptable to shoot the man that just killed 3 of your people in front of your eyes, because you didn’t have any better alternatives short of godly intervention.

But nooo, that is exactly what we get with a demon that seems to appear solely to make sure the kids don’t have to kill a human.

And then they just... forget that a bunch of kids died, and all stand there crying over the adults? I... I just cannot make heads nor tails of it.

—snip, edited text after here after I finished the story —

But then, at the end of the day, I have to remember that this series is ultimately a shounen, and that imposes some restrictions on what you can (and might want to) have your characters do. I do feel like most instances of mind-bending naivete would be different if the genre was different.

It’d be interesting where they could have gone if so, but I’m kind of inclined to think the ending wouldn’t have been substantially different short of a lot more people/kids actually dying and a lot of character development.
It’d draw a nice distinction between Ratri sacrificing others, and Emma sacrificing herself to prevent any more people getting hurt though. Or maybe the whole promise wouldn’t be necessary since they reached most of the goal without it regardless.

But I’m not sure I ultimately want that. Yes, the magic of the first few volumes is lost, but I get a more or less happy ending, even if that requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. I *want* to believe someone like Emma makes it all the way through all that and ends up where she is. I don’t believe she could, I don’t believe everyone would support her through all that, in reality. But I ultimately read these books to escape that reality.
AeolunApr 29, 2021 11:46 AM
Apr 30, 2021 3:17 AM
Apr 2021
Is she annoying? 100% yes. Do I think she is a bad character? No.
Apr 30, 2021 10:26 AM

Sep 2019
She's a hoe that no one likes.
Apr 30, 2021 12:19 PM

Dec 2020
I didn't know emma was hated so much.... I was really vibin with her too

People with boobs > people with no boobs.

My lemons > ur lemons
Please just send to profile ^^
May 29, 2021 1:04 AM
May 2021
ofcourse she is most dumb and the worst charector, in the first season ray was shown super-intellectual child but in season 2 he becomes emma's servent always by her side. talking about emma i cant even imagine the level of her stupidity in season 2. Norman stakes his life and his super high IQ to make an unbeatable annhilation strategy but that little idiot emma is on verge of spoiling his plan. it pisssed me so much i stopped watching whenever emma comes in the scene. she blindly trust sonju and mujika the one met them few days ago and ditches norman who almost sacrifised his life in season 1 for their escape. this little brat emma wants to save demons ( the ones who f***ed humans in their farms from 1000 years). i didnt watched full season 2 but i hope emma dies !! and norman's plan be successful.
Jun 29, 2021 12:55 PM
Jun 2021
She super annoying especially not agreeing with Norman plan… like shut up its kill Or be killed
Jul 24, 2021 12:26 PM

May 2020
I too get the 'happy-go-lucky', always cheerful characters but the thing that annoys me and most people is the naïve characters. Even after being kicked by reality, she still remains naïve and stubborn and that pisses me off and what pisses me off even more is that everything goes according to her wishes and everyone around her magically agrees to whatever she tells. Although in the end she reunites with them I am happy that she doesn't get her memories back, I know that's a bit messed up but that's who I am.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 25, 2021 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly it’s all about how people think of other people. Literally Emma is pretty awesome she thinks of everyone not just her own kind. She cares, she’s sweet, she’s nice. Yes it’s true that she’s stubborn but that’s just a spice for the kindness if that makes sense. I love her character because she isn’t all about “BE SERIOUS BE SERIOUS” she’s more of like childish but mature. Every other person says they want her to be more like “I hate everyone” “I am a emo bastard that doesn’t care about family I only want to live and survive alone with Norman and ray” literally y’all crazy. Emma is literally not selfish. she puts other first. Y’all do realize that if only Emma, ray, Norman, gilda, don escape they all will die. It’s because there alone with no other support. First Gilda then don. Then our mains would have died. I don’t understand. Her nativity is one of the reasons why our other 2 mains have survived. My view on her is that she’s a kind soul.
removed-userAug 25, 2021 5:54 PM
Aug 27, 2021 7:31 PM
Dec 2020
Avichii said:
She's a hoe that no one likes.

she’s literally a child 😭 how tf is a child a hoe, weird ass dudes
Dec 11, 2021 8:52 PM
Aug 2009
I almost dropped the series several times just because she is so god damn annoying.

It's not just you, her desing is appaling. I've never ever seen such a plot armor in my entire life.
Jan 3, 2022 11:24 PM

May 2017
I don't see that much of a problem in her character, but more in the general writing. While she is the optimistic and kind hearted soul, she even keeps her views after all the things that happens later on, which is not bad per se. The bad thing is, that this almost never has any consequences and that other characters drop their beliefs just to be with her. After a certain point it gets way too unrealistic imo. Everybody just seems to be convinced by her to not kill anybody ,etc. That's the reason I found Norman so extremely entertaining. He basically took the role, Ray had in the first arc. Another problem... Ray became quite irrelevant later on. However, Norman did not fulfill his plans entirely, which is okay, but everything went so well for the kids. Emma got her plan, almost nobody died and we have our happy ending. I would have loved to see Emma taking at least a minor character development and accepting, that some bad things are neccessary. As said, in the early on arcs her character is totally fine, but I think after all that time passed, she should have had some different development.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2016

19 by Jonas1402 »»
Apr 8, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 45 Discussion

zal - Jun 29, 2017

27 by luv_for_anime »»
Mar 23, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 20 Discussion

ichii_1 - Dec 26, 2016

19 by instantzoso »»
Mar 18, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2017

23 by Plume_Neolympe »»
Mar 6, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2017

40 by Plume_Neolympe »»
Mar 5, 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.