Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2018 9:24 AM

Dec 2008
I dunno if anyone thought of this idea, but let's hear it.

Alrighty, imagine if MAL connected to Crunchyroll, Netflix and HuLu OK? Then, any anime you watch on any of those networks will lead "automatically" to update your anime list based on whether you are watching certain episode(s) or you completed the anime.

Opinions?
Nov 1, 2018 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
This would a nice quality of life update but I doubt many people would care enough to take full advantage of this feature.

Firstly, I think this is a pretty lazy way of doing things.

Secondly, there are a considerable number of people who illegally stream/torrent anime (including me) who will most likely not be inclined to start using these services just because it does all the updating automatically.
Nov 1, 2018 9:40 AM

Dec 2008
changelog said:
This would a nice quality of life update but I doubt many people would care enough to take full advantage of this feature.

Secondly, there are a considerable number of people who illegally stream/torrent anime (including me) who will most likely not be inclined to start using these services just because it does all the updating automatically.

You would be given the choice whether or not to connect. Even if you have CR, NF, HuLu account(s), you still have the choice to connect or not.

Like really, I do what I could to avoid pirating anime. I have premium accounts at CR and NF for years. The least we deserve is such feature that helps us updating our lists at MAL auto instead of doing it manually.
Nov 1, 2018 10:35 AM

Jan 2016
also would be nice with KissAnime, 9anime, Gogoanime and Masteranime
Nov 1, 2018 11:09 AM

Dec 2008
RobinTheKing said:

I disagree. Aren't these sites illegal? I understand the financial status of us anime watchers, but really? At least Crunchyroll takes only $7 a month, and yet some countries have weak currency that I'm not sure one whether they can or not afford Premium account at Crunchyroll for $7 a month.
Nov 1, 2018 11:49 AM

Jan 2016
ArabianLuffy said:
RobinTheKing said:

I disagree. Aren't these sites illegal? I understand the financial status of us anime watchers, but really? At least Crunchyroll takes only $7 a month, and yet some countries have weak currency that I'm not sure one whether they can or not afford Premium account at Crunchyroll for $7 a month.

Crunchyroll has a terribly small anime collection, not friendly with people that are not in the USA (more than half of the anime are not available to other countries), SJW stuff, video player has a lot of problems. If they would make the site better, I would try to pay.
Nov 1, 2018 12:16 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
That simply won't ever happen for various reasons. First off, you need real partnerships with them, which means money, which means the advantage of having said partnerships would be much lower than the money they would have to spend to get them in most cases. Secondly, every site wants traffic, so if you don't even need to go to MAL to update your list and you do it through other sites, MAL gains nothing really. Such features could only come through scripts or apps, just like Taiga updated your list from every episode you had downloaded and watched.

There are already CR videos in entries, but that's as far as it will get, unless MAL somehow becomes the beacon of everything anime-related and is sought after everyone (which won't happen).

So no, this idea is just helpful to you and won't help the site grow really. (That and Dena currently does nothing useful, so...)
Nov 1, 2018 12:18 PM

Apr 2016
RobinTheKing said:

Give this man a medal, and a bouquet of roses as well.
Nov 1, 2018 12:34 PM

Dec 2008
*sigh* ... I hate to admit it, but sounds like what Maffy said is right. Such networks like Crunchyroll/Netflix are million/billion dollars corporations.

Sad day, sad man.
Nov 1, 2018 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
RobinTheKing said:
ArabianLuffy said:

Crunchyroll has a terribly small anime collection, not friendly with people that are not in the USA (more than half of the anime are not available to other countries), SJW stuff, video player has a lot of problems. If they would make the site better, I would try to pay.
Just install that userscript for CR to bypass the outside of USA blocking rights
Nov 3, 2018 3:53 PM

Jul 2008
As someone who left this website for kitsu long ago, there is no reason why they can't have at least just links to the said legal websites from the anime page. well you can add illegal links to, but I think this site wouldn't last as long unless you wanna move the server somewhere. Excuses excuses is all I hear. That is just one reason I left, I don't wanna get too of topic so I'll leave it at that.
Nov 3, 2018 4:00 PM

Apr 2016
Mow123 said:
As someone who left this website for kitsu long ago, there is no reason why they can't have at least just links to the said legal websites from the anime page. well you can add illegal links to, but I think this site wouldn't last as long unless you wanna move the server somewhere. Excuses excuses is all I hear. That is just one reason I left, I don't wanna get too of topic so I'll leave it at that.

Sorry to hear that.
Nov 3, 2018 8:26 PM
Aug 2011
ArabianLuffy said:
changelog said:

You would be given the choice whether or not to connect. Even if you have CR, NF, HuLu account(s), you still have the choice to connect or not.

Like really, I do what I could to avoid pirating anime. I have premium accounts at CR and NF for years. The least we deserve is such feature that helps us updating our lists at MAL auto instead of doing it manually.

Seriously "The least least we deserve is such feature"?

Why do you deserve that? This site is free to use and supported by advertising. You deserve whatever free service the ads pay for. If you had completely automatic updating then you could avoid seeing the ads which pay for the service, so you, by definition, would not deserve that. Plenty of things are technically feasible, however they're not necessarily economically feasible.

Additionally, to integrate MAL into other sites would require running scripts on those other sites, not on MAL. It's up to CR, NF, Hulu to provide those services. But they'd need dedicated support staff just for managing MAL users, and making sure that every episode on their services links to the correct entries on MAL. None of those companies are going to spend the money on that. Finally, if they do it for MAL, AniList users and whatever other service users will start demanding the same thing. Maintaining software features is expensive, so companies will always prefer to not have the feature at all.
cipheronNov 3, 2018 9:06 PM
Nov 3, 2018 10:39 PM

Oct 2014
MAL is partnered with Crunchyroll (and by proxy Funimation as well). Hulu and Netflix would probably not be in the picture. MAL, being partnered with Crunchyroll, is now also against piracy in order to maintain their agreement with Crunchyroll, which means they'll never partner with any illegal sites.

All of this is just pipe dreams until we can get the API back up, though.
Nov 4, 2018 12:59 PM

Sep 2012
It's really hard to manage your authentication without an API. So even if they want to add this, they don't, they have to come up with an API that handles auth requests really well.
Nov 4, 2018 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
Funny how crunchyroll used to be an illegal site as well.
Nov 5, 2018 12:36 AM
Mar 2018
Related to this is displaying the streaming sites of the anime in the details. Makes it easier to know where and when the episodes will be simulcasted or uploaded.
Apr 6, 5:20 PM
Mar 2024
The only reason I would want this is because I've watched a considerable number of anime, perhaps a couple hundred. I'd like to have them all organized in one place. However, I don't have endless hours to sift through the ones I already have. Additionally, I'd appreciate being able to track the ones I've dropped or finished. If MyAnimeList (MAL) is connected to Crunchyroll (CR) or Funimation (FM), I think it's a cool idea, simply because I'm pressed for time.

More topics from this board

» Way of setting all titles to the English version by default

skyblade743 - Apr 9

8 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
5 minutes ago

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

6 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
8 minutes ago

» Hey MAL, how about you don't allow NSFW ads on your website

Milk_is_Special - Mar 24, 2020

13 by pjposullivan »»
26 minutes ago

» How can I hire app developers in India?

lillygracia - 6 hours ago

0 by lillygracia »»
6 hours ago

» Introduce a "lost media" tag to titles

_cjessop19_ - Mar 22

6 by Kwanthemaster »»
Yesterday, 3:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.