Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2018 12:22 PM

Jan 2017
i was wondering why did the author of vagabond make kojiro a deaf character when he wasn't deaf in real life? any hypothesis on that? i mean, he could've just made him talk and hear, like he originally did but he chose to make him deaf.. hmm
Aug 31, 2018 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Make the character more interesting?
It's unique, at the very least.
Aug 31, 2018 12:29 PM

Jan 2013
CondemneDio said:
Make the character more interesting?
It's unique, at the very least.
Definitely. It also closes him off from the rest of the world and adds to his absolute talent in swordsmanship; his mind is entirely dedicated to it and is free from other distractions.

I personally think making him deaf resulted into a great archrival. too bad we're never going to get a continuation of Vagabond
Aug 31, 2018 12:39 PM

Jan 2017
i thought maybe the purpose was to reduce talking and focus more on the blade. historically musashi and kojiro were archrivals so their relationship is destined to be special in the manga. so i thought maybe the author wanted to highlight their relationship to the blade and spare dialogues. would've loved to see their final epic battle, hopefully the manga is going to be published again
Aug 31, 2018 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
okwhynot said:
i thought maybe the purpose was to reduce talking and focus more on the blade. historically musashi and kojiro were archrivals so their relationship is destined to be special in the manga. so i thought maybe the author wanted to highlight their relationship to the blade and spare dialogues. would've loved to see their final epic battle, hopefully the manga is going to be published again
Yeah that's one way to interpret it.

i dont know man. MAL regards it as finished which I find extremely weird since the author did not say a word about it ending. He only notified for a break as far as I can remember. it's been like three or four years already since the last chapter.
Aug 31, 2018 1:32 PM

Feb 2015
The thing is.
Kojiro is not really someone who existed in real life.
There's 0 physical, historical or any kind of evidence he's ever existed besides Miyamoto Musashi stating that he did, so the popular hypothesis is that Kojiro is someone that Musashi made up back then to spread his name.

And Vagabond has made plenty of changes to the autobiographical novel of Musashi that it's based on.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Aug 31, 2018 1:48 PM

Jan 2017
wow that surprised me, i thought i already did some good research on that topic and was sure kojiro really existed. thanks for clearing that up a little! that would've also been a pretty cool plottwist in the manga, to find out that kojiro didn't exist in the first place. but the actual plot doesn't fit this hypothesis.
Sep 29, 2020 4:06 PM
Jun 2019
sorry for the reply to such an old post as a post that often comes up in a google search I felt the need to correct something the book Musashi is not an autobiography but a piece of fiction by Eiji Yoshikawa
what book he might have been mistaking with is Musashi's actual book The Book of Five Rings which does not have any reference to Kojiro
Now as to whether Kojiro was a real person am not sure there various different sources online that claim he did with different levels of validity but personally for me it's very hard to get any concrete evidence having no understanding of the Japanese language
Sep 29, 2020 4:15 PM

Jan 2017
EddyJpeg said:
sorry for the reply to such an old post as a post that often comes up in a google search I felt the need to correct something the book Musashi is not an autobiography but a piece of fiction by Eiji Yoshikawa
what book he might have been mistaking with is Musashi's actual book The Book of Five Rings which does not have any reference to Kojiro
Now as to whether Kojiro was a real person am not sure there various different sources online that claim he did with different levels of validity but personally for me it's very hard to get any concrete evidence having no understanding of the Japanese language

thanks for the info! no need to apologize, information is timeless

you mean this question i posted comes up in google searches??haha
Sep 23, 2022 7:32 PM
Feb 2015
I mean this is just a theory, but maybe it got to do with how he doesn't have his own voice in history being mostly mentioned by others but not leaving behind any writing, like Musashi did. though just random thought I had when looking up things about the different characters' historical counter parts.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 327 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Interstice - May 24, 2015

105 by wafflegir »»
Apr 16, 8:50 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 2 Discussion

jeanfarias - Jan 15, 2012

16 by Goongalar »»
Apr 13, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 59 Discussion

DeleteThisShit - Nov 28, 2013

13 by dantehasdantedme »»
Apr 12, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 322 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Jan 19, 2014

37 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Vagabond Chapter 315 Discussion

Raikoye - May 25, 2013

13 by astoneon »»
Apr 11, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.