Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 24, 2018 8:20 PM
Feb 2017
I've never played MMORPGS or any games SAO tried to emulate, so I found the world filled with infinite possibilities. If I remember, there were salespeople in the first episode, blacksmiths, a farm somewhere, a council/republic setup by the knights, and a pseudo-school full of kids who were playing the game. I remember the infobroker, but idk if that is a job. I don't know what the hell I would do to pass the time other than get better at the game. Am I gonna put myself on the frontlines, no I would not.
May 17, 2018 5:52 AM

Nov 2009
SAO the game uses a classless skill-based system. But it uses experience and levels.

It also uses a lot of player skills (as opposed to player character). For example, Argo the Rat, the information broker, don't have any "information broker" character skill, she just has a good mind for business and spends a lot of time collecting information.
And most of the eponymous "sword art" is player skill too. Sure, those powerful named blows were system-assisted, but everything else (most importantly, parrying!) was to be done by the player.

Crafting does use character skills, but the problem is, you need to slay monsters to get "experience" to get better at crafting. And you aren't as good at slaying monsters because you spend a lot of time crafting. Crafters had a hard time, but they were really necessary.

Personally, I am the kind of person who would fight. Maybe I don't have what it takes to join the clearing group, but I should be able to fight on the level of Black Alley Cats or Silika.
Nov 28, 2018 3:53 PM
Oct 2018
I know that this is a severely late response but I couldn't help but want to add my own two cents.

I have always found the job system interesting in SAO. You can do whatever you want and for the most part there is a skill to go with it. I also like to think that there are 3 major sections in this system.

The first is that one can choose to be in the battle zone and fight. The skills involved would be your typical RPG style things. This includes weapon and shield skills (battle skills) which increase in level the more it is used against enemies and maybe with training against an inanimate object.

The second involves people who use skills that aren't used in most cases during battle. SAO is known to allow the player to do whatever he/she desires, so one could have a fishing, gardening, cooking, blacksmithing etc skill and level it up as it is done more. This style is used if one wants to live a more peaceful life in Aincrad.

Lastly, the 3rd set of jobs are the more informal ones like Argo's info broker job. With her case, she uses a more diverse set of skills to help her job as info broker. These skills can involve bartering or camouflage and it all makes up what she wants to be.

All in all, one can choose from a wide range of skills to best fit how they want to live in Aincrad. There is no real set path so if you don't wish to fight, you can relax and improve your cooking skill instead.

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.