Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 2, 2020 5:54 PM
Jul 2020
Fario-P said:
C-radica said:

Card Capador Sakra is PG||||||||||||||||||

That's just what MAL decided to rate it. Any reasonable person would consider Cardcaptor Sakura a G-rated anime; hell, I was a child when I first read the manga and checked out the anime, and I was fine with it. There's nothing really objectionable about the anime as far as I can remember.

On Hulu the sub is TV-14|||||||||||
Oct 2, 2020 5:57 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
C-radica said:
Fario-P said:

That's just what MAL decided to rate it. Any reasonable person would consider Cardcaptor Sakura a G-rated anime; hell, I was a child when I first read the manga and checked out the anime, and I was fine with it. There's nothing really objectionable about the anime as far as I can remember.

On Hulu the sub is TV-14|||||||||||

That applies to the SEQUEL Clear Card, not the original series—Hulu doesn't have the original series.
Besides I still didn't see anything objectionable in it. American rating systems are just too sensitive in my opinion.
Oct 2, 2020 6:00 PM
Jul 2020
WatchTillTandava said:
To add on to my autumn of 2019 post from almost a year ago, I was going to suggest Flying Witch as another great candidate when I read the comment above reminding me of the seemingly random and arbitrary nature of the rating system for anime on MAL, went back to Flying Witch's main page, and lo and behold, a PG-13. Why is Flying Witch a PG-13? Who knows? It's not the equivalent of, for example, a U.S. film rated PG-13 by the MPAA. There is zero violence of anything more than minor slapstick resulting in no blood or gore, no nudity or any other form of sexual content depicted or implied, no explicit language in terms of common vulgarities/curses or sexual or racial epithets and slurs, and no other subject manner which, while not graphic in the aforementioned categories, meets some other standard of being too heady and vaguely controversial and dramatic to justify a lower rating. It's a pure feel good sensory experience for anyone of any age with content no reasonable person could deem any more inappropriate for a 6 year-old than a 50 year-old. There is no way "parental guidance should be suggested" for those under 13 (in line with the language governing that rating) as it has nothing in it more violent, crude/vulgar, frightening, or otherwise raw and explicit than any G-rated Disney film or TV Y-7 show on American TV during children-oriented programming bloc hours.

I mean it dose have drinking. Also it rated TV-PG not TV-Y7. I was wondering the same with After School Dice Club it's TV-PG but the Blu ray is getting a TV-14. MAL rated it PG-13 too but I think it should be PG.And the same can be said about K-on
Oct 2, 2020 9:01 PM

Jun 2019
C-radica said:
I mean it dose have drinking. Also it rated TV-PG not TV-Y7. I was wondering the same with After School Dice Club it's TV-PG but the Blu ray is getting a TV-14. MAL rated it PG-13 too but I think it should be PG.And the same can be said about K-on

Does drinking, a staple in many countries and feature of daily life, even to excess, really factor into the ratings though? I can think of G-rated Disney films with drinking and even drunkenness and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples in the American ratings system and internationally. It may be different now than 50 years ago though as ratings in several areas have surprisingly gotten more puritanical and restrictive, like including warnings in ratings for depictions of smoking or even extreme weather scenarios.
Oct 3, 2020 8:41 AM
Jul 2020
WatchTillTandava said:
C-radica said:

Does drinking, a staple in many countries and feature of daily life, even to excess, really factor into the ratings though? I can think of G-rated Disney films with drinking and even drunkenness and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples in the American ratings system and internationally. It may be different now than 50 years ago though as ratings in several areas have surprisingly gotten more puritanical and restrictive, like including warnings in ratings for depictions of smoking or even extreme weather scenarios.

Spice and Wolf season 2 has a TV-MA and all they did was drink(and I guess some nudity too) but it still should be TV-14.
Oct 3, 2020 8:44 AM
Jul 2020
WatchTillTandava said:
C-radica said:

Also now a days drinking will likely give you a PG not a G.
Nov 13, 2020 8:06 AM
Jul 2020
WatchTillTandava said:
To add on to my autumn of 2019 post from almost a year ago, I was going to suggest Flying Witch as another great candidate when I read the comment above reminding me of the seemingly random and arbitrary nature of the rating system for anime on MAL, went back to Flying Witch's main page, and lo and behold, a PG-13. Why is Flying Witch a PG-13? Who knows? It's not the equivalent of, for example, a U.S. film rated PG-13 by the MPAA. There is zero violence of anything more than minor slapstick resulting in no blood or gore, no nudity or any other form of sexual content depicted or implied, no explicit language in terms of common vulgarities/curses or sexual or racial epithets and slurs, and no other subject manner which, while not graphic in the aforementioned categories, meets some other standard of being too heady and vaguely controversial and dramatic to justify a lower rating. It's a pure feel good sensory experience for anyone of any age with content no reasonable person could deem any more inappropriate for a 6 year-old than a 50 year-old. There is no way "parental guidance should be suggested" for those under 13 (in line with the language governing that rating) as it has nothing in it more violent, crude/vulgar, frightening, or otherwise raw and explicit than any G-rated Disney film or TV Y-7 show on American TV during children-oriented programming bloc hours.

I saw someone say Flying Witch is for teenagers because it a shonen anime.
Nov 13, 2020 8:08 AM
Sep 2020
Tonikawa/Fly me to the moon for sure! It's a romance. Appropriate for all ages I'm pretty sure.
Nov 13, 2020 8:13 AM

Jun 2020
A Dog of Flanders is a good one. Children don’t mind some sadness in their movies as long as they know what’s going on. Lion King, Bambi, etc
Nov 13, 2020 10:43 AM

Jul 2020
I haven't watched that many, but definitely check out Aiura. It's only about 3 minutes per episdoe with 12 episodes, so you can basically binge the entire thing and it takes as long as a normal episode.
Nov 24, 2021 5:54 PM
Jul 2020
I was wondering why LWA was G too. I am also wondering why Celestial Method is PG-13
Nov 25, 2021 2:28 AM

Oct 2008
Wakaokami wa Shougakusei! | Okko's Inn
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by LostSpectre »»
30 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

2 by RobertBobert »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

72 by Avicebrons »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 10 hours ago

16 by Lucifrost »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.