Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 30, 2017 4:38 AM

Aug 2013
Faederwulf said:
MarthePryde said:

That's an interesting point of contention. If certain musical or artistic products cause harm naturally within society, then is it reasonable to censor them for the greater good?

Or, does the exposure to this art and music enable good consequences in society beyond the harm that they naturally cause?

How would you define the harm that they naturally cause?

Anything psychologically damaging. For example - when bad art is held up as being masterful (as is the case with modern art museums), it warps the healthy view of beauty. Now, obviously I don't believe that everyone should have an identical view of beauty, but anyone who believes a canvas filled with scribbles is a work of art has a broken mind, and such things are contagious unless dealt with. We live in a world where most treat beautiful paintings as out-of-date or uninteresting, the common modern view of an ideal woman is an unfeminine skeleton caked in makeup, and so forth.

Do you think that could have anything to do with the "noise" of this age?

Or to be more lucid, would you attribute this to a general wave of philistinism? If so, what do you think the causes of it are?
JustaCratDec 30, 2017 5:28 AM
Dec 30, 2017 5:22 AM

Feb 2011
p0ckyy said:
how much do you value individuality in a scale out of 10? i would rate its value 10/10. i embrace the weirdos of the world. traps, trumples, weebs, feminists, u name it. humans are free bodied agents and should act as such.

I think there needs to be an important clarification on the meaning of individuality.

Individuality comes from individual, individual comes from the mix of two particles of latin:
"in-" used to note a negation, it means "not"
"-dividere" it means "to divide", "to split"
"individual" literally means "indivisible", when talking about persons it describes that part of persons which can't be further divided without losing meaning, it describes the core of a person's personality.

Individuality doesn't mean to be different, but being true to the most inner part of oneself. (regardless if it's original/special or not)

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 30, 2017 5:51 AM

Aug 2016
I give it a range spanning from 6/10 to 8/10, being the 6/10 the best one (capable of satisfying the natural and unavoidable egoism in human nature but giving an important part to society keeping it strong and efficient) and the 8/10 the max tollerable by a functioning society (this is the most realistic one and the minimum requirement of effort from the individual to the society to keep it running).

Below and over this it's either an autocracy or a rotting democracy. Too low individuality will depress people and make them inefficient on the long run while to much individuality corrupts people and turn them away from society needs, weakening it and leading to the death of the State in times of struggle.
Ἄκουε δή, ἦ δ᾽ ὅς. φημὶ γὰρ ἐγὼ εἶναι τὸ δίκαιον οὐκ ἄλλο τι ἢ τὸ τοῦ κρείττονος συμφέρον.
Listen—I say that justice is nothing other than the advantage of the stronger.

Dec 30, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
MarthePryde said:
Faederwulf said:

Anything psychologically damaging. For example - when bad art is held up as being masterful (as is the case with modern art museums), it warps the healthy view of beauty. Now, obviously I don't believe that everyone should have an identical view of beauty, but anyone who believes a canvas filled with scribbles is a work of art has a broken mind, and such things are contagious unless dealt with. We live in a world where most treat beautiful paintings as out-of-date or uninteresting, the common modern view of an ideal woman is an unfeminine skeleton caked in makeup, and so forth.

Do you think that could have anything to do with the "noise" of this age?

Or to be more lucid, would you attribute this to a general wave of philistinism? If so, what do you think the causes of it are?

It's a natural process. Much as a human grows old and dies, so do civilisations, societies, and groups of people in general. Anything that lives by time has "seasons", and our civilisation is currently in it's Winter. Of course, I'm not saying this to be edgy or pessimistic - Spring always follows Winter.

As for the process of it, the common saying describes it perfectly - hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times.
Dec 30, 2017 3:51 PM

Dec 2016
I value it too much. Independence is all I have.
"Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."
Dec 30, 2017 6:26 PM

Jul 2017
It's 10/10, I would say. Very important.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Dec 31, 2017 2:51 AM

Jun 2017
Exceptionally. I'm not keen on people who follow too many trends, or fake their interests or what they stand for to appease to a crowd or someone they 'crush on'. I will always root for people who are themselves, no matter the situation.
Mar 10, 2018 6:12 PM
Dec 2017
I value the right to have your own perspective and to change your mind.
Freedom is the brother of individuality.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» proxy

jackfrostenson - 15 minutes ago

1 by vasipi4946 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

27 by Sad »»
25 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

37 by Sad »»
30 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
2 hours ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.