Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2017 4:06 PM

Nov 2017
So I was wondering whether or not other people have a similar issue. I guess it's somewhat normal to be put off by things you do not necessarily enjoy, yet most of the times I can't bring myself to do something I just don't enjoy.

The funny thing is; I realize how important something can be, and that I really should start working on something, but I just don't do it.

I'm not really asking for tips and tricks or anything, though they are welcome, but I'm mostly just wondering whether others experience the same sense of urgency, yet still being able to ignore it. It's just annoying I suppose, and I generally have some sense of guilt whilst explicitly not doing the thing. Though that is starting to drop off lately as well. It's as if I'm procrastinating a level beyond what's acceptable, if that makes any sense.

I'm sure there are others who experience this in some way or another, but do others feel it on this level? Is this normal?

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you got this far, I might've been rambling a little.
Masanori-kunNov 30, 2017 4:12 PM

"Believing you can,
means you're already halfway there"

Blog Posts | Reviews
Nov 30, 2017 7:13 PM

Jul 2017
I don't really know this can be applied to everbody but as for my instance, staying focused is directly proportional to how you often do that particular action and amount of interest on it too.
For me, focus on particular work that i don't enjoy, lets say studying; will increase if you do it regularly or frequently.
So, if you have some work that are being procrastinated and unable to be focused on, i advise you to regularly do that work bit by bit everyday.
I'm sorry if this don't work out!! Since, methods are different for everyone. Cheers!
Nov 30, 2017 7:17 PM

Jul 2017
And yes, i also have been in a situation where procrastinating work got me into problems. It is for everyone to feel lazy about works that they have no interest in, but think in a way what you are gonna accomplish by doing the work. Motivations will definitely help you in doing something you dont like!
Nov 30, 2017 8:31 PM

Nov 2017
pfft you havent even hit the part where you dont do even the things you enjoy; which leads to incredible confusion over what youre even doing and eventually what you even enjoy
*peeks over sunglasses*
Shitpost.Fetish
Nov 30, 2017 9:15 PM

Jan 2015
It's easier to do a bunch of inconsequential busy work than it is to focus on one goal. I have trouble with staying focused even when it's something i'm really looking forward to doing like reading or playing a game.
It impacted my schooling to some degree as well. Passing birds taking my attention from the work in front of me until i snapped out of it.
Nov 30, 2017 9:22 PM
Jul 2018
The saying All In Due Time sounds very cliché, but it really does come down to everything just sort of happening at the proper time. I wouldn't focus so much on what you are not doing, but focus on the little things that you have done, and also just have confidence in the fact that everything happens when it's meant to happen. And if it doesn't happen, then it was never meant to be explored. Take small steps, set a plan of action (a goal), and then try to act on it. If you find it's not working out, dismiss it for the time, as it's probably just not the right time to take it down. The last thing you will want to do is rush the process. Setting too high of expectations on yourself will only create unnecessary ANXIETY. Don't think so much about it, just feel it out. Do what feels right to you.

EDIT: Also, try starting up your next goal in the form of a hobby. Rather than going full barrel into making it an actual profession. Sometimes our greatest starting points are as hobbies. Rather than careers. Hobbies allow us to explore what we can do with what may later become a professional area of practice.
removed-userNov 30, 2017 9:25 PM
Nov 30, 2017 9:25 PM

Aug 2016
You're not the only one, I often have troubles focusing on topics I have no interest in, and it's just hard to force yourself to get involved into it. But lately, I've started doing only the things I like and I have no problem focusing at all since I'm willingly wanting to do them.

For the tasks I don't like, I'd often think about them as "If I don't do it, I'll die" works.

Just think yourself as a camera lens, focus on the things that you find beautiful and interesting, blur the others but don't crop them out! (>﹏<)
Dec 1, 2017 12:23 AM

May 2013
Hmm, have you tried meditation? It seems like it won't help, but actually the mind is almost like a muscle... meditation really does improve your ability to focus at will.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 1, 2017 1:51 AM

Nov 2017
Thank you all for the replies. It is somewhat reassuring to see that everyone has a different take on what to do with such a problem, implying that there is not really a right or wrong.

J2H1 said:
... Motivations will definitely help you in doing something you dont like!

I guess that is true, I suppose that when you decide that you no longer need to focus on the task itself, rather focusing on the motivation behind it, it can become more bearable.

HO00lywOO-D said:
pfft you havent even hit the part where you dont do even the things you enjoy ...

That's true, thankfully. I can't imagine what would happen when I just don't see the point anymore.

Arius900 said:
... It impacted my schooling to some degree as well. Passing birds taking my attention from the work in front of me until i snapped out of it.

That's relatable, more often than not, I find myself being distracted by everything once I do finally decide to do something.

rubylightning said:
... Also, try starting up your next goal in the form of a hobby. ... Hobbies allow us to explore what we can do with what may later become a professional area of practice.

Your comment doest give me some kind of hope. I will try to throw the switch around a little. I can imagine seeing things as a hobby will make it easier to do the little things, so to say.

Haruna said:
... For the tasks I don't like, I'd often think about them as "If I don't do it, I'll die" works. ...

That seems a little drastic, but I can sense the logic behind setting a bar like that. I guess it doesn't hurt to try right, haha.

Gan_water said:
Hmm, have you tried meditation ...

I can't say that I have, apart from the one odd YouTube video guiding my insomnia. I suppose looking for something with a little more guidance is not a bad idea.

"Believing you can,
means you're already halfway there"

Blog Posts | Reviews
Dec 1, 2017 2:44 AM

Jan 2010
I guess it's... normal...
That feeling might be assosiated with these feelings
- Lazy
- Unmotivated
Or just generally very laid back and don't really give a damn about anything...

I sometimes like that too. Like, I know I have to do something but not doing it instead and still feeling guilty about it
Dec 1, 2017 4:01 AM

Aug 2013
Yep I have a similar problem. I presume because I have fear to lose something else if I do a specific activity but it can become a vicious circle and I do very little respect my possibilities
Dec 1, 2017 6:52 AM

Nov 2017
HO00lywOO-D said:
pfft you havent even hit the part where you dont do even the things you enjoy ...

That's true, thankfully. I can't imagine what would happen when I just don't see the point anymore.

yup, generally called depression and i recommend it to nobody
*peeks over sunglasses*
Shitpost.Fetish
Dec 1, 2017 7:12 AM

Aug 2013
No feeling of obligation and a lack of a sense for consequences and thinking ahead
You may know something is "Important" but you, not doing it, clearly says that you don't fully understand that fact and what the consequences are, and you deliberately distract yourself and you just base it on the norms that are set on what's important and what isn't.
Or you subconsciously distract yourself from the actual consequences, which means you may have ADHD
lol

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
58 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 3 hours ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.