Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 6, 2017 11:57 PM

Mar 2017
Sooo I watched the jap version and it made me cry.
Probably gonna see if I can find the dub version online on youtube or something. Is it a good enough dub to make me cry?
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Sep 27, 2017 6:48 PM

Oct 2010
Straight answer, it's not terrible. It doesn't work well, IMO. One reason is because the Japanese script uses things like "Atashi" and "Boku" and that doesn't translate at all to English, so it's better in Japanese for that reason but also the acting is FAR superior.

Secondly, "Jap" is a racist word.
Sep 28, 2017 1:34 PM

Mar 2017
Kougeru said:
Straight answer, it's not terrible. It doesn't work well, IMO. One reason is because the Japanese script uses things like "Atashi" and "Boku" and that doesn't translate at all to English, so it's better in Japanese for that reason but also the acting is FAR superior.

>pointing that out even though the context i used it in didn't even imply using it as a slur
smfh
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Sep 28, 2017 1:42 PM

Oct 2010
Context doesn't matter. Just like how it doesn't matter with the "n" word. The term is racist, plain and simple. The use of the word offends Japanese-Americans, especially those that lived through WW2's discrimination era. The proper abbreviation for Japanese is simply "JP". Notice that I didn't get hostile over it...just trying to educate people that may not realize it's offensive to some Japanese people.
Sep 29, 2017 3:39 PM

Aug 2008
Kougeru said:
Um, that doesn't really matter.
Oct 10, 2017 3:53 PM

Mar 2017
destructo22 said:
Kougeru said:

Um, it really does in terms of acting and other stuff. If it doesn't translate well then that's not really good
╠╬╣ 일 » 이 » 삼 » 사 ╠╬╣

Oct 30, 2017 3:50 AM

Oct 2017
The sub is way better than the Dub. Maybe because I watched the sub version first and tried to watch Dub but didn't turn out good.
''We have to live a life with no regrets.'' -By Portgas D. Ace
Oct 31, 2017 9:10 AM

Mar 2016
destructo22 said:
Kougeru said:

It DOES matter, like many other things completely lost in translation for dub. This movie heavy relies on Japanese culture, their beliefs and traditions. And because of this, 80% of people who watched this movie didn't understand it at all (comments like "ultra generic story etc" only proves that I'm right). This movie is a masterpiece if it comes to script and scenario, but it's not ease to spot these little details (even with good translation, not mentioning about dub crap).
furukawa-samaOct 31, 2017 9:14 AM
Oct 31, 2017 12:18 PM

Aug 2008
TroverTa said:
destructo22 said:

Um, it really does in terms of acting and other stuff. If it doesn't translate well then that's not really good
from my understanding, those are just female and male versions of the same pronoun. I don't see how that gets "lost in translation" in an adapted English version. Very negligible meaning is lost if at all when translated to English. It all means "I", anyways.

furukawa-sama said:
destructo22 said:

It DOES matter, like many other things completely lost in translation for dub. This movie heavy relies on Japanese culture, their beliefs and traditions. And because of this, 80% of people who watched this movie didn't understand it at all (comments like "ultra generic story etc" only proves that I'm right). This movie is a masterpiece if it comes to script and scenario, but it's not ease to spot these little details (even with good translation, not mentioning about dub crap).
that's not what the Kougeru is talking about. Even if you knew the Japanese language, does that mean you know everything about Japanese culture, religions and traditions? Not really. I don't know where you pulled that 80% number from, but this movie really requires more than one watch for the casual viewer (like myself) to fully understand the undertones of the shinto religion and how it plays a part in the movie's mechanics. Maybe some independent research will help too. The extra knowledge required for Japanese religions and the English dub localization have no correlation whatsoever. Even if a regular bloke watched this movie in its original Japanese dub and subtitled, they might not be familiar with shintoism and therefore dismiss the movie entirely. It's not because of the English dub's fault.
Nov 2, 2017 6:00 AM
Jun 2017
I watched the japanese version (english subbed) and just recently the English dub version and i still like it...
Nov 5, 2017 2:32 PM

Jan 2009
Yes the dub was good. Dont get fooled by the nay sayer's. You wont miss any thing compared to the jap version.
Nov 9, 2017 5:20 AM
Nov 2016
Now this is what I'd call "A damn good movie".
Nov 9, 2017 7:18 PM

Jul 2012
Why not just listen to it and decide for yourself?
Nov 9, 2017 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
I wouldn’t know, since I don’t like dubs
Jan 26, 2018 11:23 PM
Jun 2016
furukawa-sama said:
I take great issue with this:
1. People are "understanding" this movie already far more than they should, projecting a depth that I can guarantee with my life as stake, is very sparse. (Trust me the amount of work I put in trying to find it even I find incomprehensible). BTW, to be clear on this, I'm not saying you should stop liking the film, just don't consider it nuanced or deep. Even Makoto Shinkai said that he intended this film to be merely entertaining.
2. Basically nobody watches dubs. Dubs are way more unpopular than you'd expect
3. Nothing's a masterpiece. NOTHING.
4. The movie is generic, I've watched it subbed 6 times (in a desperate attempt to find something to like about it) and it is definitely generic.
Jan 29, 2018 2:28 PM
Nov 2017
I liked the dub, although mitsuha voice actor you can tell is struggling
Jan 29, 2018 11:01 PM

Oct 2016
I just finished it just now. Never watched the sub, but I can say the dub is worth a try. It's fucking awesome.
Jan 30, 2018 1:45 AM

Nov 2011
Kougeru said:

Jap jap jap jap jap jap jap jap jap jap jap jap
Jan 30, 2018 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
I've seen the movie 3 times , 1x subbed and 2x dubbed.

I personally prefer the dub, Why? I don't know

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.