Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 13, 2017 6:18 AM
Jun 2016
Hey I just watched the first episode and while I know you can't judge every series by their first episode this one was very different from other shows i've watched.

Is it suppose to be really weird or am i just not understanding whats going on, is it like Baccano and Durarara where its very confusing in the beginning but gets more cohesive later on, because i really enjoyed those two shows.
I heard there is also a lot of comedy in it, my favourite comedy anime include Prison school and Shimoneta do you think my taste in comedy fits Monogatari?

I you are a fan of the Monogatari series than feel free to tell me if you think its something for me.
Aug 14, 2017 4:10 PM
Aug 2017
Monogatari is not a comedy, it maybe have some elements and some parts of it where you could laught but is not a show designed to be funy like shimoneta or prison school. However if you enjoy more mature series like those monogatari is definitely for you and if you are not convinced enough you always can watch the 3 movies and definitely after that you would want to watch the whole series.
Aug 15, 2017 12:35 AM

May 2015
Monogatari is certainly different from your everyday anime. As for being confusing like Baccano, well I guess it will take some time to getting used to. Think of Monogatari like a book. Just read and follow along, and you'll get the all the details handed to you soon enough.

Now as for the comedy, the Monogatari series is not primarily a comedy, but it does have some pretty funny moments. Do understand that most of the comedy is dialogue-based rather than action-based, so be sure to pay attention and read well if you want to catch the funny stuff. For example, the first girl you met, Hitagi Senjougahara, is IMO the funniest character in the series next to the MC. She doesn't sound like it, but her comments can be really hilarious...especially in episode 3 hehehe. The comedy is not as prominent as Prison School or Shimoneta, but the series will have such moments to give you a quick burst of laughter. What makes the comedy so funny is that once you get to know the characters and their personalities, you'll know exactly how they'll act when put in a certain situation. Here's a quick example of the comedy that you'll expect:

(No spoilers, just an example)

Anyway, Monogatari is not just comedy but a whole lot of other things. It has some drama, a lot of mystery, very few but notably over-the-top action sequences (with the exception of Kizumonogatari, which has a lot of action), some parodies and breaking the fourth wall, some horror elements, and of course the obligatory fanservice ^_^. The Monogatari series is basically a whole bunch of short stories that are all connected one way or another. In my opinion, the Monogatari series is less confusing than Baccano.

If you can tolerate a lot of reading, then definitely continue on with Bakemonogatari. If you're not a fan of reading, then perhaps the Monogatari series might not be to your liking.
TarotistAug 15, 2017 12:38 AM
Nov 12, 2017 10:56 AM
Nov 2017
YoungGod62 said:
Hey I just watched the first episode and while I know you can't judge every series by their first episode this one was very different from other shows i've watched.
Just like these people above said. For me, i just watch these anime like flowing river and don't go for a marathon. Just for fun, dude.
Dec 18, 2017 2:06 PM

Dec 2017
I dont really like the Monogatari series. The first episode put me off but i think i should watch at least some more episodes because i just dropped the series on the first episode.

i like avocados on toast 
Dec 18, 2017 2:25 PM

May 2015
LeiLH said:
I dont really like the Monogatari series. The first episode put me off but i think i should watch at least some more episodes because i just dropped the series on the first episode.

Yeah, you definitely should. One episode enough to judge anything.

Dec 18, 2017 3:32 PM

Oct 2017
The main thing that put me off while watching this series is that they talk reallllly fast and then have really long boring cut scenes in between the dialog where they are just walking over a cgi background or something. So then you skip 3 seconds ahead and lose half the conversation trying to get through the boring parts.

Second thing, the dialog is very pretentious and loquacious.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Apr 23, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.