Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 7, 2017 10:03 PM
Dec 2016
I'm almost halfway through Gurren Lagann. Before this I watched Shinsekai Yori. I feel like both of these series, while extremely different, have a variety a similar elements. It almost feels like Gurren is Shinsekai from the queerats perspective. I won't go any deeper so I don't spoil Shinsekai for anyone, but has anyone ever felt this way? Or am I just insane/stupid?
TJHookerAug 11, 2017 10:06 AM
Aug 7, 2017 10:21 PM

Feb 2011
​​​​​
Aug 7, 2017 10:46 PM
Dec 2016
Kittenpotpie said:
​​​​​

Hmm where does your confusion lie and how can I elaborate?
Aug 11, 2017 7:40 AM
Jun 2017
You're just insane/stupid
Aug 11, 2017 10:20 AM
Dec 2016
JKILYA123 said:

OK I'll elaborate. I created this post before finishing the first half of Gurren. The second half is far from similar Shinsekai, but the same can't be said for the first half. I'd say Shinsekai and the first half of Gurren are similar yet complete opposites. Shinsekai takes place in a post apocalyptic Earth run by humans. These humans oppress a race they think of as unintelligent beasts, the queerats. Gurren takes place in a post apocalyptic Earth run by beastmen. These beastmen oppress a race they think of as unintelligent apes, the humans. In both series the oppressed races gain access to the weapons that are keeping their people down. In Shinsekai the queerats "kidnap" a human child with a cantus and in Gurren they steal mechs. After gaining these weapons both oppressed races revolt go to war with their oppressors. To further the narrative of these shows being opposites, in Shinsekai the oppressed fail and in Gurren the oppressed are victorious. With that said both groups do lose their leaders. Both are coming of age stories. We follow their growth throughout their lives.
Dec 10, 2017 5:34 AM

Jul 2011
lol

Both these shows take place in post-apocalyptic world. And basically that's the only similarity between them.
May 11, 2018 8:52 AM
Dec 2016
nick_el_son said:
lol

Both these shows take place in post-apocalyptic world. And basically that's the only similarity between them.

I'm assuming you didn't read my reply
Mar 21, 2019 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
TJHooker said:
JKILYA123 said:

OK I'll elaborate. I created this post before finishing the first half of Gurren. The second half is far from similar Shinsekai, but the same can't be said for the first half. I'd say Shinsekai and the first half of Gurren are similar yet complete opposites. Shinsekai takes place in a post apocalyptic Earth run by humans. These humans oppress a race they think of as unintelligent beasts, the queerats. Gurren takes place in a post apocalyptic Earth run by beastmen. These beastmen oppress a race they think of as unintelligent apes, the humans. In both series the oppressed races gain access to the weapons that are keeping their people down. In Shinsekai the queerats "kidnap" a human child with a cantus and in Gurren they steal mechs. After gaining these weapons both oppressed races revolt go to war with their oppressors. To further the narrative of these shows being opposites, in Shinsekai the oppressed fail and in Gurren the oppressed are victorious. With that said both groups do lose their leaders. Both are coming of age stories. We follow their growth throughout their lives.
it's a shame no one recognized this post as I feel like the similarities are worth discussing."It almost feels like Gurren is Shinsekai from the queerats perspective" I would like to add that the monster rats like the people in Gurren Lagann also had to live underground.
May 27, 2019 9:23 AM

Jan 2013
TJHooker said:
nick_el_son said:
lol

I'm assuming you didn't read my reply
I did.
It's literally a staple of super robot anime/manga.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Yesterday, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.