Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
How do the visuals compare to ufotables work?
Jul 2, 2017 9:45 AM

May 2010
I know alot of people were worried that a fate series not being done by UFOTABLE would have inferior visuals. Based on what we have seen so far, how does it compare?
Jul 2, 2017 9:52 AM

Aug 2010
YouniverSoul said:
I know alot of people were worried that a fate series not being done by UFOTABLE would have inferior visuals. Based on what we have seen so far, how does it compare?

Above average. If ufotable is an overall 10 and DEEN is an overall 1 (with Toei being -10), this is a 4 in art and an 8 in animation.

Of course what truly sets ufo apart, aside from their digital team, is their consistency. You really need to look hard to find an off-model shot. Apocrypha, however,, just from its first episode which normally gets a lot of attention, isn't consistent. They prioritize the action scenes, which is good, but you kinda hope the non-action scenes get the same treatment too.
Jul 2, 2017 10:01 AM
Nov 2009
The colouring and composite aren't very good, but having Takahito Sakazume and Shun Enokido as the action animators makes up for that. They're very talented young animators who and bring a unique stye of animation due to honing their craft with digital animation instead of pencil and paper.
Jul 2, 2017 10:07 AM

Jul 2007
The fake cult of personality built around ufo production is ridiculous tbh.

Ufotable is not a standard to hold up to. Ufotable is a factory where all of their shows look the same and reuse same storyboards. Sure they throw around some nice filters here and there and some gradients to make it look good but its not animation quality. Your average viewer might have been indoctrinated enough to buy in into narrative that Ufo does high quality animation, but in reality they have not done anything notable since Zero. If there's a company to look up to its BONES and even they are mixed bag.

As for Apo - Action choreography wise it is better than Ufotable stuff by a bit but that's not saying much. So far there has not been a truly "complex" fight to truly show off whether it is better or worse. And frankly its first episode. Its unknown if action quality will remain consistent or if we will get dips downwards in between "big" moments like with other A1 shows. Depends on dat Netflix money and dat FGO advert money that A1 is getting to make this.

Overall animation is average all around tho though. Not bad not perfect - its what one would expect from A1.
AhenshihaelJul 2, 2017 10:11 AM
Jul 2, 2017 4:43 PM

Mar 2016
It looks good for a 1st episode!
They put some filters like Ufotable does.

Besides, the fight scenes are more well done by A-1 then Ufotable in my opinion! So, I'm glad it's A-1 macking the fights and the scripts because UBW was terribly written!

So, Yeah, this one is a must-watch... Seems promising!
Jul 2, 2017 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
For me (as far as the first episode goes) the art is decent while the animation is quite solid in my eyes. It doesn't hold up to what Ufotable does but it doesn't necessarily need to be. It's pretty solid in my personal opinion.
Jul 9, 2017 8:12 PM
Mar 2017
A-1 very good with qualty they make i think they can hold it
Jul 12, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2015
The question annoys me. Of course it doesnt look as good. That shouldnt be the question. The question should be how good it looks. It looks really good still. Im actually glad someone else is making apocrypha. I love ufotable but seeing a different style is great. The animation is still really good overall and i see no reason to complain but people will still complain anyways that it isnt ufotable
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Jul 12, 2017 6:53 PM

Nov 2013
It looks good so far from what I've seen. Not as good as ufotable obviously, but it still has better animation than most other anime this season.
Jul 22, 2017 10:21 AM

Oct 2014
It looks way better than I was expecting. Not Ufotable standards, but it's definitely good.
Jul 22, 2017 11:50 AM

May 2010
so yall saying fate/apoc has lesser visual quality that Fate/stay that aired 2 years ago? wow lol Ufotable seems amazing
Jul 22, 2017 10:07 PM

Mar 2016
It honestly baffles me how anybody can say this show has well animated fight scenes. Basically every fight up to the current episode is just characters zooming around all over the place with horrid choreography and camera work which makes it difficult to process what is happening visually, or completely stationary faceless characters being killed, all this coupled with loud and obnoxious sounds that almost rival the clang sound effect from Berserk 2016/17. They even add in that annoying blue filter that is in every UFOtable show just to show how much they are trying to copy them but have no actual idea what made the fights in Zero and UBW good, so they just put a bunch of flashy lights in the show being played over by horrible sound effects to fool people that this is good animation.
ReddayeSocksJul 22, 2017 10:11 PM
Sigh.
Jul 23, 2017 10:57 PM

Jun 2013
Problem here is that animation we are seeing is actually worse than what they originally made becasue of the TV format it is broadcast. A-1 complained to TV station but nothing could be done to fix this.

We need to wait BD's to really enjoy the animation.

But then again, who watch anime for animation only?
Jul 23, 2017 11:08 PM

Oct 2015
YouniverSoul said:
so yall saying fate/apoc has lesser visual quality that Fate/stay that aired 2 years ago? wow lol Ufotable seems amazing
just not the same level of special effects, the visuals are only a bit behind on ufotable imo

More topics from this board

» A Guide to Fate/Apocrypha

OneBetta - Mar 14

2 by OneBetta »»
Mar 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

97 by TheBiggestAm »»
Mar 9, 7:31 PM

» Who is your favorite character from Apocrypha?

Omarumba - Feb 25

28 by Manthors »»
Mar 1, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2017

278 by PirateHasan »»
Jan 5, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Fate/Apocrypha Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

86 by PirateHasan »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.