Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 30, 2017 10:08 AM

Oct 2016
I've been thinking of watching Chihayafuru for a while but when I look up clips they mostly have romantic moments in them. How much of Chihayafuru is romance and how much is suspense or game in your own measurement (like percentage or episodes)? How often does the MC get emotional? Also, how serious is it compared to Hikaru no Go if you've watched that?
Jun 30, 2017 11:23 AM

May 2015
Romance is implied, but is not central to the story. You won't be seeing much of it. You're just seeing those clips because shippings.

Suspense/Game moments are around 80% of the anime, even more so in season 2. The MC is a Karuta geek. She talks about it 24/7 and is a complete novice to romance. The MC is...pretty emotional actually (she's a crybaby), but it didn't bother me in the slightest. Let's just say the emotional moments happen after a win or loss. Never seen Hikaru no go, but it's not too serious. It's pretty lighthearted actually. The most serious moments are when the game gets really tense. However, the more serious the anime becomes, the funnier it gets. Worry not! The funny moments have great timing and almost never interfere with the tension of the anime.
TarotistJun 30, 2017 11:26 AM
Jun 30, 2017 1:50 PM

May 2012
Don't hesitate, just watch it.

It has a different ethos than Hikaru (or Shion no Ou) because it stresses team play over individual achievement. There are both team and individual events in karuta tournaments, and the top players usually think that team play isn't worth it. Chihaya herself, and the author, think otherwise.

Jul 1, 2017 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
It looks like you've already started watching the animated series of Chihayafuru. I hope you're enjoying it. Usually I recommend first reading at least the first chapter of the manga first. There are a few differences in the adaptation and I personally think those differences are significant - especially for those people who watch and read both the manga and the anime. Some people suggest skipping the first chapters adapted into the first season of the anime but I don't agree with that approach. Could be just personal preference? The two stories in these different media can also stand on their own though....

Kodansha Comics (USA), publisher of the most recent English translation of the manga has made the first chapter available as a preview or sample on their site:

http://kodanshacomics.com/series/chihayafuru/

Hopefully the rest of their digital edition will become more widely available for purchase in the future. Right now their contract only allows them to release it in certain places...
removed-userJul 6, 2017 2:26 AM
Jul 2, 2017 6:13 AM

Oct 2016
@VersoSciolto
One more question, is Chihaya the best player among the two main boy characters?
Jul 2, 2017 6:26 AM

May 2015
Shinn_Asuka666 said:
@VersoSciolto
One more question, is Chihaya the best player among the two main boy characters?

Let's just say she has her advantages and disadvantages. Just watch the first episode and you will understand...
Jul 2, 2017 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
Shinn_Asuka666 said:
@VersoSciolto
...hereby I'm belatedly echoing what Tarotist and particularly SeijiSensei wrote before:

Don't hesitate, just watch it.

No need to wait for my answer to that final question. As an introduction to the series I couldn’t do it justice by answering that particular question anyway. That you asked such a question means you pretty much have what you need to find out for yourself… More talk only builds unnecessary expectations at this point, imo. Start with the manga or jump into the anime, either one is better than comments in this thread will ever be.. so, in short, go ahead and make up your own mind.
removed-userJul 6, 2017 2:25 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 29, 2011

216 by minnaslay127 »»
Apr 24, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zimno - Oct 11, 2011

180 by saabiK »»
Mar 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2011

146 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Nov 1, 2011

182 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 12, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Confucius - Oct 10, 2011

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Mar 11, 2:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.