Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 28, 2020 11:54 PM
Apr 2015
WeAreTheSame said:
HeroicIdealism said:
I'm not necessarily taking the stance that any animation made outside of Japan shouldn't be allowed on MAL, I just want to know the reasoning behind why this is permitted to be on the MAL database, and what the MAL community's consensus on the matter is.

As most of us know, this "anime" is made in China. If animation created in China qualifies as anime, then what makes something like Avatar: The Last Airbender not anime?
When did anime become "Made in Asia"?

Anime either means "Made in Japan" like it has been for decades, or MAL needs to not have double standards about this and allow Avatar and RWBY onto the database.
What is the reasoning behind allowing animation from China onto MAL? Are there any animations from South Korea on MAL?

Cause it is really good?

There are some good western animations too you know that? Being good is not the reason to qualify something as an anime. MAL is just inconsistent in its decisions that's it...
Mar 29, 2020 1:21 PM
Apr 2015
WeAreTheSame said:
GameDSS said:

There are some good western animations too you know that? Being good is not the reason to qualify something as an anime. MAL is just inconsistent in its decisions that's it...

Anime is cartoons. They are japanese cartoons. So is any japanese cartoon or animation considered anime? Even if something like what we're discussing resembles anime more? Hmmmm idk man I don't think its that deep, it ease what it ease.

You don't make much sense, my dude. First, you said that Chinese animations should be treated like anime/be on this website because they are good (and yes... I know that you probably meant the series that have anime art-style), then you say that only Japanese animations should be considered anime (which I agree). You're indeed inconsistent with your opinions. Also, the way you redact/write your text is so baffling, I can barely understand what you meant in your previous post.

And I still can't comprehend why do you have a problem with the American cartoons with the anime art style to be considered an anime when you accept the Chinese animation as such. Both of these aren't made by the Japanese, which in my opinion should automatically disqualify them to be on this site. But... If we allow one exception from the rule, then we should allow the other one. And this is when it gets complicated, as we can stretch the rules to fit anything into the "anime" category. And that's why nothing aside from Japanese shit should be allowed here. Just think about it, though. The only difference between American and Chinese animations with an anime art style are the people who made it. So it turns out that if you're Asian you make an anime, but if you're white or black you make cartoons... It's such nonsense.
Mar 30, 2020 3:32 AM
Apr 2015
WeAreTheSame said:
GameDSS said:

You don't make much sense, my dude. First, you said that Chinese animations should be treated like anime/be on this website because they are good (and yes... I know that you probably meant the series that have anime art-style), then you say that only Japanese animations should be considered anime (which I agree). You're indeed inconsistent with your opinions. Also, the way you redact/write your text is so baffling, I can barely understand what you meant in your previous post.

And I still can't comprehend why do you have a problem with the American cartoons with the anime art style to be considered an anime when you accept the Chinese animation as such. Both of these aren't made by the Japanese, which in my opinion should automatically disqualify them to be on this site. But... If we allow one exception from the rule, then we should allow the other one. And this is when it gets complicated, as we can stretch the rules to fit anything into the "anime" category. And that's why nothing aside from Japanese shit should be allowed here. Just think about it, though. The only difference between American and Chinese animations with an anime art style are the people who made it. So it turns out that if you're Asian you make an anime, but if you're white or black you make cartoons... It's such nonsense.

Tbh I only read the first sentence and I am only commenting just joking around lmao I haven't actually been serious with my responses. My true opinion is: "who cares where it comes from or what should be considered for this website?" But I don't have a problem with American animation I haven't mentioned them at all, you might be reading someone elses reply. I think anime is an art style that originates from japan. Honestly after reading your entire post I completely agree with you, but I don't take it that seriously man... I'm on here to make friends and love anime.

It's hard to see if someone is serious or not on the internet. If you weren't serious about that then it's ok :)
Mar 31, 2020 5:44 PM
Jan 2020
And here I thought that anime was an art style and not solely a cultural icon specific to Japan, yeah I know that Japan is very famous for it but I thought anime was more like the comic book art style.
Nov 1, 2020 10:28 PM

Apr 2014
Avatar the Last Airbender is the best Anime,
cmon guys...
Dec 22, 2020 12:47 PM
Aug 2017
this is on my anime list, but castlevania isn't. weird.
Feb 6, 2021 4:29 AM
Nov 2020
Anime is just short for Japanese word for animation. All cartoons in Japan are anime. Time to put this old nonsense to bed.

Anime has never meant Japanese cartoon in the west, anyway. Anime would be considered a style if anything. I guarantee everyone, in the western world, seeing King's Avatar, without hearing any spoken word, would consider it to be an anime.
Apr 20, 2021 12:35 PM
Nov 2020
Does it even matter, this site is to keep the database of anime and manga so what's wrong with having extra data, it's atleast better than having less than than the amount that exists.
Jun 8, 2021 1:43 PM

Sep 2018
Deoxyribo9 said:
To be fair when you compare the animation style of communist-china to china today there's a clear difference in influences. Chinese Animation nowadays has to appeal to the mass market so much of the anime like art style comes from that.

China is still a communist country, so China is still "communist China"

Also, all you people are idiots and need to shut up. Who fucking cares if MAL allows chinese and korean animation, it's not like there is enough of them or a big enough seperate fandom to get their own database.

GameDSS said:
Also from what I've read here a foreign (not Japanese) comic won't be listed if it doesn't have any Japanese adaptation (anime, etc).

I'm not sure what the hell your are talking about. Western comics don't get listed on this site at all, even if an anime is based on them. If you mean Korean and Chinese comics, then you are also completely mistaken, they list them here whether they are connected to japanese media or not. If there is something you think should be in the database and isn't go to the board for that and request it be added instead of whining about MAL being "inconsistent".
KristiwazhereJun 8, 2021 1:58 PM
Jun 20, 2021 11:20 AM
Aug 2013
I like kings avatar so I don’t mind having it on here on the contrary.
If the logic was based on style then avatar last airbender would fit here well as well imho.
I wouldn’t mind it if mal took it one step further and would go with anime being anything animated be it western or Asian and put Ben 10 or whatever on here as well. Benefit will be that they reach a bigger audience that might in turn also get interested in ‘Asian anime’
Jul 21, 2021 8:09 AM
Mar 2014
The distinction is very clear cut. East Asian cartoons count as anime, Western stuff don't.
Nov 23, 2021 5:11 AM

Oct 2019
Nictator said:
Anime becomes communistic, the borders will broaden until there are no borders, Chinese Cartoons are the revolution. Get over it weebs.

Where's the revolution it's been 4 years
Mar 5, 2022 5:25 AM
Aug 2020
This is an anime too ya know
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

NettoAzure - Apr 6, 2017

225 by Rineczka »»
Jan 11, 12:47 PM

» Will The King's Avatar get an English dub?

awesomeblackman - Oct 30, 2018

8 by egosumjohn »»
Nov 3, 2023 7:48 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bubbletea - Apr 28, 2017

82 by AshleyHawk1 »»
Dec 18, 2022 6:08 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Lambdaa- - Apr 7, 2017

163 by Nat_V »»
Oct 13, 2022 11:53 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

eplipswich - Jun 15, 2017

148 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 18, 2022 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.