Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Akame ga KILL!
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 13, 2017 11:06 PM

Dec 2016
I know the ending was controversial and lots of people hated it, but to call these final episodes filler is pretty ridiculous. That implies you could stop at episode 21 and have the plot resolved, which is just patently false. I don't really think this requires much explanation or argument - the filler tag is unwarranted and should be removed.
Feb 27, 2017 12:21 PM

Jun 2016
It's marked filler because it is.
The last 3 episodes are not canon and were aired BEFORE the end of the manga. The end of the manga is canon, not the anime.
Feb 27, 2017 4:31 PM

Dec 2016
MIUUZICK said:
It's marked filler because it is.
The last 3 episodes are not canon and were aired BEFORE the end of the manga. The end of the manga is canon, not the anime.

It's not at all unusual for the anime canon to be different from the manga canon. That happens a lot.

i think it should stay there for people like me who dont want to watch something and bam season 2 never released at least this way u get a full story

You don't at all though. At the end of episode 21, Night Raid hasn't launched its attack on the capital. Esdeath and Honest are still in power. The ending of 21 is not even close to a plot resolution. And they don't even set up a second season at the end of 24.
Feb 27, 2017 5:00 PM

Apr 2014
RP59 said:
That implies you could stop at episode 21 and have the plot resolved, which is just patently false

But that is where the argument is flawed. Having a filler ending does not at all imply that you could stop at X amount of episodes and the plot is resolved. If that was true and the plot was resolved there is no need for the last episodes; ergo it does not comply with the actual ending of the source material (for any and all reasons) and is filler

the last 12 episodes of Zatch Bell are filler~ that doesn't imply you can stop at episode 138 and the show would be resolved
the last 7 episodes of Blue Exorcist are filler~ again not implying that you can stop at episode 18 and have a resolved plot
RP59 said:

It's not at all unusual for the anime canon to be different from the manga canon. That happens a lot.

That doesn't make it any less filler because it may be prevalent. If anything, it just means all those anime endings should be listed as filler too
Feb 27, 2017 5:32 PM

Dec 2016
KazuyaKujo said:
RP59 said:
That implies you could stop at episode 21 and have the plot resolved, which is just patently false

But that is where the argument is flawed. Having a filler ending does not at all imply that you could stop at X amount of episodes and the plot is resolved. If that was true and the plot was resolved there is no need for the last episodes; ergo it does not comply with the actual ending of the source material (for any and all reasons) and is filler

the last 12 episodes of Zatch Bell are filler~ that doesn't imply you can stop at episode 138 and the show would be resolved
the last 7 episodes of Blue Exorcist are filler~ again not implying that you can stop at episode 18 and have a resolved plot
RP59 said:

That doesn't make it any less filler because it may be prevalent. If anything, it just means all those anime endings should be listed as filler too

There are anime where the entire series takes a different path than the manga which inspired it and vice versa. That doesn't make it filler, it's just a different canon using the same characters and universe. Would you classify the past 15 or so episodes of Game of Thrones as filler? They've passed the ending of the last book published so far and are continuing to make episodes. Something doesn't have to be 100% faithful to the source material to not be filler.

Something is filler when it doesn't advance the plot and is in the show just to bump up the number of episodes. So yes, it does imply you can skip those episodes and not have the plot suffer. The whole point of having a filler tag is so you know you can skip those episodes if you want.
Feb 27, 2017 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
@RP59 yes I would consider the last episodes of Game of Thrones filler. Why? i've never seen the show or no anything about it, but one quick google search yields
http://www.animemaru.com/next-season-of-game-of-thrones-to-be-filler-until-books-catch-up/

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1524701/why-game-of-thrones-is-going-to-keep-giving-us-filler-episodes-according-to-a-major-actor
The title of the first link even tells you that if the source material is not caught up to the animation, it is filler. That is the whole point of filler. The tv producers fill in the material the weeks that they have no source to produce, not because they just want more episodes or something. Therefore
RP59 said:

There are anime where the entire series takes a different path than the manga which inspired it and vice versa. That doesn't make it filler

is a false statement. That makes it totally filler.
RP59 said:
Something is filler when it doesn't advance the plot and is in the show just to bump up the number of episodes

Wrong. It is not used to bump up the number of episodes. They have to air something that week or they don't get paid. If it means making something up then by all means they will earn that paycheck. If they could have gone with the original source instead of making filler up, they would be happy, because it's less time they have to waste, and less people they have to pay.
RedPlatyFeb 27, 2017 5:44 PM
Feb 27, 2017 5:56 PM

Dec 2016
KazuyaKujo said:
@RP59 yes I would consider the last episodes of Game of Thrones filler. Why? i've never seen the show or no anything about it, but one quick google search yields
http://www.animemaru.com/next-season-of-game-of-thrones-to-be-filler-until-books-catch-up/

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1524701/why-game-of-thrones-is-going-to-keep-giving-us-filler-episodes-according-to-a-major-actor
The title of the first link even tells you that if the source material is not caught up to the animation, it is filler. That is the whole point of filler. The tv producers fill in the material the weeks that they have no source to produce, not because they just want more episodes or something. Therefore
RP59 said:

There are anime where the entire series takes a different path than the manga which inspired it and vice versa. That doesn't make it filler

is a false statement. That makes it totally filler.

So, after some Googling, I have found that there is no consensus within the anime community on what constitutes filler. There are two primary definitions:

1) Anime content that was not present in the manga (your definition)
2) Content that does not advance the plot (my definition)

I fundamentally disagree with the former definition on the basis that adaptations do not exist solely to be carbon copies of the source material. That largely defeats the purpose of making an adaptation in the first place. That said, because that definition is one of the two widely used ones, I think the filler tag is justified. Because I was thinking about it from my definition, the tag made no sense to me and inspired me to make the thread.

Besides, I have no great interest in defending those last three episodes. It's pretty much consensus that they sucked.
rypo59Feb 27, 2017 6:03 PM
Feb 27, 2017 6:21 PM

Apr 2014
@RP59 Both definitions are correct
Lets examine
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?639382-Non-Filler-XY-Series-Episode-List
According to it, XY050 is essential non filler
However,
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/XY050 this tells us basically that the pokemon run out of food and begin to fight. A girl sees them and asks if they are okay. Enter Team Rocket. Hardly useful to the plot and skip-worthy. It is content that does not advance the plot (the definition that you like).
Then you go making wild claims again
RP59 said:

adaptations do not exist solely to be carbon copies of the source material.

for many series this is quite the opposite. They exist solely to emulate their predecessor. Hunter X Hunter (2011) is a great example of this. The anime force ended at 148 episodes because the mangaka kept going on "health related" hiatuses (but that's for another time). Instead of padding it up (padding is different than filler), the producers chose to just end it. If they wanted to, they could have padded it up and kept the series running for several weeks more. however, to emulate it's manga, it ended without any excess media
Feb 27, 2017 6:51 PM

Dec 2016
KazuyaKujo said:

RP59 said:

adaptations do not exist solely to be carbon copies of the source material.

for many series this is quite the opposite. They exist solely to emulate their predecessor. Hunter X Hunter (2011) is a great example of this. The anime force ended at 148 episodes because the mangaka kept going on "health related" hiatuses (but that's for another time). Instead of padding it up (padding is different than filler), the producers chose to just end it. If they wanted to, they could have padded it up and kept the series running for several weeks more. however, to emulate it's manga, it ended without any excess media

That's certainly true of many adaptations. It is particularly common when the original content creator is involved with the adaptation and wants it to remain true to their original vision. Really, they obviously should have waited to make the Akame ga Kill series until the manga was done. I hope in the future they make another adaptation, because they could do a lot better with this source material in my opinion.

However, I maintain that there are many other adaptations which purposely divert from the source material, just because the creators want to. Take the Jin-Roh movie, for instance. It is set within the Kenrou Densetsu universe and the plot is loosely based on Part 1 of the manga, but the many changes are made thematically and on the technical level. Mamoru Oshii is largely responsible for both projects, but he clearly wanted the film to be a separate entity from the manga.

But in the case of Akame ga Kill, I agree now that the last few episodes should be tagged as filler based on the first definition we discussed. What I don't understand is this - If they intended for their adaptation to be mostly faithful to the source material, why start with the intent of finishing the series before the source material they were basing it on was finished? Dumb move on their part, and clearly it was a gamble which did not pay off in terms of public opinion.
Feb 27, 2017 7:12 PM

Apr 2014
Not sure why they chose to do that but if this helps ~
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22199/Akame_ga_Kill it started airing July, 7th, 2014
By that time,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Akame_ga_Kill!_chapters
only 48 chapters were published
It took the mangaka 5-6 months to put out the next 6 chapters on Dec 22nd, 2014 a week after the show already ended on Dec 15th
My guess as to why people didn't like it was because they could have signed a 26 episode contract, meaning if the mangaka worked a little bit faster, then part of that (or the whole) volume of 6 chapters could have been animated somewhere in there.
I personally would blame the mangaka because they had at least 4-5 chapters done prior to the shows end date and plus he/she wasted time on some extra chapters that came out on October 27th, 2014.
I guess many people didn't like that kind of ending, considering the next volume was only days away :[

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

282 by Cammell »»
Apr 18, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2014

1363 by Fiorno »»
Apr 13, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2014

981 by Fiorno »»
Apr 13, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2014

471 by Fiorno »»
Apr 13, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Uff...those continuous deaths

S1H2A3N - Mar 17

1 by 7Hunna_Jahmir »»
Mar 26, 2:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.