Forum Settings
Forums

People spoiling plot unintentionally when talking about/reviewing an anime

New
Jan 25, 2017 7:15 AM
Oct 2016
Hey, am i the only one who hate spoilers here?? Of course the answer is no. Now people have gotten better at not spoilng stuff intentionally, but unintenionally.. oh boy how things get spoiled.

I will be talking about the anime Your Lie in April here so don't read further if you do not want to get things spoiled.
!
!
!
!
!

So.. My warning up there said nothing about how the anime turns out. But some people don't really think when they speak about an anime. For an example people will say: "This is a good anime, but prepare for the feels train", "Great anime, but it gets really, really sad". And stuff like that. Now these sort of sentences don't say "At the end, at that and that place, this and this will happen". But if you for an example say that you cried many times, you got your heart broken, you didn't know what to do after watching it then i can as a viewer add two and two together and probably figure out that when ... AGAIN SPOILERS ... Kaori is at the hospital, (In the anime Shigatsu) she will probably end up dying.

Now this is for all anime, and it doesn't have to be sad endings that it spoils, but just about anything. It can also be something as simple as a small description saying "This guy does this and this, but because of what he does, this happens and now he is in this situation. Sometimes i just don't feel like watching an anime if i know that the thing the MC spends the first episode(s) on will not turn out well. Now can you really get too picky as to what you get triggered about seeing in a review about an anime. I don't really know, i feel people should try their very best to tell and explain stuff about anime, without getting into if you will get some feels after watching it, how things at the beginning turns out, etc.

But yeah this was just a ... something ... don't know if i would call it a rant, but yeah. Tell me how you feel! :)
MikkelhessJan 25, 2017 7:18 AM
Jan 25, 2017 7:19 AM

Feb 2016
Stop reading reviews, problem solved. MAL "reviews" suck anyway..
Jan 25, 2017 7:28 AM
Oct 2016
Aquamirror said:
Stop reading reviews, problem solved. MAL "reviews" suck anyway..
If it would be that easy. Now i am not saying that i don't like reviews, and if i would stop reading them i would have to watch alot of anime to find something that goes to my liking. What i am saying is that people should avoid (if it is possible) telling to much about what feelings/emotions you will get, and how some things will turn out. It is fine if something happens at the start and then the story begins, but if you know something will happen, and it first happens at end of first episode, or in the second then there is alot of predictable plot getting revealed. Again, if there is no way around it without the review being absolutely crap and saying nothing, then go for it but if you can avoid it you should i feel.
Jan 25, 2017 7:33 AM

Oct 2013
how about you just don't care about spoilers and judge a show for what it is and not how much it can surprise you

there problem solved
Jan 25, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2016
It is very hard to not spoil some events especially when you are so annoyed by the series and want to explain your opinion, it become inevitable.
Jan 25, 2017 7:36 AM

Apr 2016
This is why people like myself put spoiler warnings. The best reviews spoil the piss out of their anime anyway; it's the best way to get examples and truly get every major point across.
Jan 25, 2017 7:36 AM

Feb 2016
There are a lot of reviews on MAL with "headings" or first lines like "Major/Minor Spoilers in the review" - so that's fine I think. But of course there are reviews containing spoilers w/o any warning - but if it's for finished series that's fine too in my opinion.

I mean there are shows that have been finished for years and people still complain about spoilers in reviews??? You had enough time to watch this show.

For some shows it's hard to review w/o spoilers - depending on the anime tho - because the review's main point might be about that spoiler [plot twist/dead etc.]

It's hard to stay away from spoilers in general on MAL and some other anime communities/SNS. If you're not okay with spoilers you really should stop reading reviews on MAL.
Jan 25, 2017 7:45 AM

Mar 2016
I feel like the people who get upset at being "spoiled" should avoid any outlet that could contain them, seeing as they're the ones with the problem. Fix it yourself, don't expect others to go out of their way to please you.

If a show is good it will be enjoyable to you even if you know the entire outline of the plot. Surprise factor is worthless in my opinion, why people are so bent on keeping it in tact I'll never know.

If you're considering someone telling you a show is "sad" a spoiler then that just about limits your reviews to "it was good/bad/okay". Which is what numerical scores are for.
Jan 25, 2017 8:02 AM

Sep 2016
As the majority of these replies have said, I think reading reviews without warnings to spoilers is one of the worse things to do. This point can go with anything. Don't google a character from a tv show as it could come up with pictures of their death scene. Don't youtube characters - it could come up with their death scene. Don't read reviews - it could go over their death scene.
From what you said about people saying "its a major feels train", "it get's really sad." I actually kinda agree tbh. The anticipation in mind of waiting for something majorly sad to happen ruins the experience.
Although I completely agree when people say you shouldn't judge a show for who dies but only for what the actual story is about, the fact that I know someone is going to die burdens me throughout the show and I can't help it. But thats just me.
To avoid any of this I'd say just watch a show without looking at comments, reviews, pictures etc.

"Even if your soul disappears, your wishes and curses remain in this world."

More topics from this board

» Have you ever got your anime/manga titles from recap videos on YouTube?

Kiryotsu - 12 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
22 seconds ago

» Do you think your favorite characters can be friends?

Yonahim_Zz - 38 minutes ago

8 by Kiryotsu »»
1 minute ago

» Can your waifu handle the pressure of being best girl in her show?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

36 by Yonahim_Zz »»
9 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

72 by omorashi »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.