Forum Settings
Forums

Does it make sense to watch the movie after first 3 volumes of LN? (skipping a TV series altogether)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 30, 2016 8:43 AM

Jan 2014
Haruhi Suzumiya has been, so to speak, sitting on my shelf for a few years due to all the negativity that surrounds it's TV adaptation (Kyon vs Haruhi order arguments, Endless 8 whine etc). Then I encountered LN by accident and it seems very well written. I find Kyon's monologues to be especially appealing and interesting to read.

At the same time I've heard a lot of good things about the movie. Therefore, the question.

Will it be fine to just read the light novel, but substitute it's 4th volume with the movie to get a full experience?
dsw2biDec 30, 2016 8:49 AM
Dec 30, 2016 9:26 AM

Mar 2016
Movie basically adapts all of his inner monologue iirc in addition to providing everything you'd expect (visuals, voices, music, etc.)
Aure0linDec 30, 2016 9:29 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 30, 2016 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
poppyface said:
Movie basically adapts all of his inner monologue iirc in addition to providing everything you'd expect (visuals, voices, music, etc.)

I am more interested whether it ties in with the previous books. I am guessing that TV series somewhat faithfully adapts the first 3 volumes of light novel, but I can't be sure as I haven't watched it myself.
Dec 30, 2016 11:07 AM

Jan 2014
To be more clear, what I am planning to do is to read volumes 1-3 of Light Novel, then watch the movie, then read volumes 5-10. Will it work from a narrative standpoint?
Dec 30, 2016 11:17 AM

Mar 2016
Well from what I remember the main stories that share continuity with Disappearance are:

- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Establishes all of the characters) < All of Book 1
- Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Starts a story that continues in Disappearance) < Boredom of Haruhi or part of Book 3
- Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya (Contains Endless Eight and the Day of Saggitarius which gives Nagato more characterization and takes place before Disappearance, Remote Island Syndrome takes place after Disappearance though) < this is also Book 5 which is released after but should probably be read before
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya < Book 2, mainly for the cat
Mysterique Sign < Also Boredom or part of Book 3

The anime set it up a bit differently, having adapted some stories from the fifth book before Disappearance but otherwise everything should be in order if you just want to read books and substitute the 4th book with the movie
Aure0linDec 30, 2016 11:28 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 30, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2014
Thanks, that answers my question.
Dec 30, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2011
it's not too late to experience S1 in broadcast order, the way it was meant to be
Dec 30, 2016 2:25 PM

Jan 2014
Kittenpotpie said:
it's not too late to experience S1 in broadcast order, the way it was meant to be

I don't think it will work the same as it did in 2006 though. The market is vastly different nowadays.

I mean, Gundam was a thing 30 years ago. Doesn't mean people care about it much today. And isekai was popular like what, a 3-4 years ago?

What people like hugely depends on a context. And I have my doubts about breaking episodes order for more quirck and mystery. The light novel? That I am more confident about.
dsw2biDec 30, 2016 2:39 PM
Jan 2, 2017 10:44 AM

Sep 2015
The movie is amazing and ties in with the novels, but I believe that most of the experience is getting to know the TV series and then watching the movie, just reading the novels will tell you the story, but you are missing 70% of the work put in by Kyoto Ani and their team. If people's whining is preventing you to watch a series that you already believe is well written and faithfully adapted (which it is), you should not skip the series before the movie, in my opinion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.