Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 8, 2016 8:36 PM

Nov 2016
I think character development is key. I really don't care much for OP characters or Mary Sues because when you can't witness a character grow, it almost seems like a cop out on the part of the writers. If there is no change among a character over however many episodes, it feels like I didn't really get to know them and connect with them. If a character has legitimate dreams, fears, and regrets that are delved into, I can view them for who they really are rather than just a collection of tropes all mashed together.
Dec 9, 2016 8:55 AM

Oct 2009
I like them to be aloof, cool, badass, and have some kind of supernatural, sci-fi, or otherwise fantasy aspect. Bonus points if its a female main. Also, they should be atleast teenage aged if not adult, since I don't like lolis.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Dec 10, 2016 4:15 AM
May 2016
I like an anime protagonist who's got a harem but doesn't think his life is a miserable confusing mess or is a complete idiot. Or a guy whose true love is staring him in the face and isn't a completely oblivious idiot. I'm looking at you, Ash!
Dec 10, 2016 5:29 AM

Nov 2013
one that has ambition. not just a simple ambition like wanting to lead a normal life, but something BIG. y'know.

not stupid.

has flaws in personality and knows damn well he/she does.

not wishy-washy.
Dec 10, 2016 5:35 AM

Apr 2016
-No powers "accidentally" handed on a silver platter.
-no mr. Gary Stu McGoldenheart
-no vagina magnet for no reason
-no "i just saw someone get killed, so it must be my fault!!!"
-not a crybaby lil bitch
-when they fuck up, they actually own up their mistakes
-from zero to hero
Dec 10, 2016 7:04 AM

Jul 2016
That they arent a useless wimp the entire anime
Dec 10, 2016 11:28 AM

May 2015
I want the protagonist's worldview to create the story.

If you can't do that - if the story exists because of external events (Aliens come and want to destroy events UGAHA) then the protagonist should have a personality/worldview that greatly affects the events. S/he doesn't just solve the conflict, but opt for a solution specific for them.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 10, 2016 11:56 AM

Oct 2016
Taekochan said:
I think character development is key. I really don't care much for OP characters or Mary Sues because when you can't witness a character grow, it almost seems like a cop out on the part of the writers. If there is no change among a character over however many episodes, it feels like I didn't really get to know them and connect with them. If a character has legitimate dreams, fears, and regrets that are delved into, I can view them for who they really are rather than just a collection of tropes all mashed together.

This, I definitely agree with this.

Love-love the stars
Love-love the moon
Nothing comes even close
To half of you

Dec 10, 2016 12:00 PM

Aug 2013
Extreme badassery, and loads of power but when there's a reason behind it. I hate MC,'s that are strong just cuz the writer felt like it, or its fits with the story better and such.
Dec 10, 2016 12:10 PM
Nov 2016
Taekochan said:
Stranger213 said:
-No powers "accidentally" handed on a silver platter.
-no mr. Gary Stu McGoldenheart
-no vagina magnet for no reason
-no "i just saw someone get killed, so it must be my fault!!!"
-not a crybaby lil bitch
-when they fuck up, they actually own up their mistakes
-from zero to hero

^
+stupid and oblivious to a minimum, also for the supporting characters.
Dec 11, 2016 12:13 AM

Apr 2013
takenMalUsername said:
I tend to like MCs that are good based on skill if that makes sense.
I don't like things like plot armor or they're naturely good.
This is why I hate the MCs in Oda Nobuna, but that's a different thread.
Does not exist.. If anybody ever wins it's always plot armour
Dec 11, 2016 12:36 AM

Mar 2013
I like characters that have:

1. good self control
2. have extremely tragic past they can't forget
3. have some unique powers that is hard to achieve
4. don't talk much
5. aren't suited to be leaders
6. dressed in black
7. are absolutely frightening when they lose it

A good example would be Hiei from Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Patiently waiting for the best day of my life, the day when i die.
Jan 5, 2017 11:24 AM

Oct 2015
i like totally badass and overpowered character
Jan 5, 2017 11:30 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, being likable and relatable in one way or the other I guess. I think it's close-minded to have very specific attributes you expect from a MC. It depends a lot on the context of the show. I've grown fond of a number of very different characters for different reasons in the past. As long as his choices and values feel somewhat consistent with their personality and backstory, they'll make a pretty good MC imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 5, 2017 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
If they make the series entertaining by themselves, aren't awfully outshined by side characters in likability and aren't a complete copy of all possible protagonist clichés put together then it's all good. Weak, strong, wimpy, badass, troubled, grown up, anything goes as long as they're fun.
Jan 6, 2017 3:39 AM

Dec 2016
I just want constancy of his own nature and personality.

I hate drastic changes, I don't like for example when they start as normal human beings and end up being overpowered superheroes. If he's gonna be a superhero well....he must be the superhero from the beginning.
Jan 6, 2017 4:01 AM
Sep 2015
Manliness, A man who inspires all those around him, A man who is a complete badass, A man that will do anything to accomplish his goals regardless of what cruel fate awaits him, and a man with a sense of humour.
Jan 6, 2017 5:02 AM

Jan 2017
Well, I generally do not care if the protagonist is male or female (I would like to see more Adventure anime with female protagonists who are strong though.)

I basically want a well-written character. Not one that sticks to tropes, or is a cookie cutter archetype, and perhaps a bit realistic in terms of their outlook on life [as in, stray away from the 'friendship is power' mentality we see in a lot of Shounen anime, or something similar to that ridiculous trope].

I also want them to be interesting, at least enough so that I can actually care about them as well as be interested in them. I don't need a complicated back-story, I just need an engaging protagonist who is enjoyable to watch, and isn't a whiny little individual (unless the story calls for it, or it's part of the plot-line [as in the character get better and more competent as the story progresses]).

I also don't care if the are weak at the beginning so long as they get stronger as the plot progresses (if that's applicable to the anime), and I dislike protagonists who are overpowered from the start for no reason, unless once again it's plays into the plot (Like Hiiro from the novel, 'Konjiki no Moji Tsukai'. His unique magic, 'Word Magic' is overpowered, but that's the point, with numerous people in the story mentioning just how cheating like that ability is. Still requires practice and training/experience to make full use of it though)
DeoranJan 6, 2017 5:08 AM
Fiat justitia ruat cælum (Let justice be done though the heavens may fall)
この世界は素晴らしいけど、たくさんバカことがあるよ。。。悲しいね?(This world is wonderful, but full of stupid things. Sad, isn't it?)
Find me on AniList

Jan 6, 2017 12:38 PM

May 2015
nry said:
I just want constancy of his own nature and personality.

I hate drastic changes, I don't like for example when they start as normal human beings and end up being overpowered superheroes. If he's gonna be a superhero well....he must be the superhero from the beginning.

Why is that? Some people go through extreme changes in life.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 6, 2017 1:05 PM

Mar 2009
I like them adult and mature. Certainly no weaklings, no underdogs, no crybabies - they make me cringe.
I also don't like them talking too much. I prefer protagonists who speak through their actions.
I also don't like the emotional types, I prefer those who let logic guide them rather than their heart.
Bonus points for protagonists who can and will kill other characters without thinking too much about it.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Jan 7, 2017 4:02 AM

Nov 2009
Crippling insecurites

or

Infallible confidence and the strength to actually back it up
Jan 7, 2017 7:33 PM

Oct 2014
A protagonist that is relatable and flawed but will develop and overcome those flaws as the series progresses.
Jan 7, 2017 7:52 PM

Sep 2016
My fav kind of MC

Definitely not a Mary Sue/ Gary Stu.

Showing realistic reactions and emotions (he/she reacts like a real person would in certain situations).

Perfect balance between morality and getting what he/she wants.

Will have a mental breakdown once in a while (just like real people)
Every major event will affect his/her way of thinking.

Has to rely on other characters but actually physically/mentally (not obviously) strong enough to overcome his/her problems alone.

Well-developed (the viewers are able to understand why he/she acts like this/that).

He/She will eventually overcome his problems, gradually (but not rushed as in certain anime).

Basically he/she is neither a good guy nor a bad guy, just somewhere in between.

He/She is able to make a decision in a major event without stupid cliche reasons behind it, and must live with/ carry on with it (which means that decision changes the course of the story).

His/Her way of thinking and course of action is manipulates and is manipulated by the people around him/her (a.k.a the supporting characters).

He/She gains experience from past events and struggles to make the best choice in the upcoming events based on his experience.
HerrSaitamaXJan 7, 2017 8:40 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2017 8:36 PM

Feb 2014
I need my MC to not be a self-righteous person, with a sense of humor, sarcasm preferred. Have a semblance of a personality. Doesn't contradict themselves with their morals for the sake of plot. As long as I have those simple things I would be fine

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Jan 8, 2017 12:23 AM

Jan 2017
I like my MC to not be overcomplicated in terms of personality, abilities and backstory, at least at the start, I'm fine with them becoming more complex overtime. I like simple MC far more, as it makes it easier to know them and pay attention to other characters.

If the MC is complex and none of the other character are, I really don't see myself caring at all except for the comic-relief. If they are all complex, it just creates a giant cluster competition.

Also don't like my MC to do unexplained ***pulls. If Yuya pulls another EGAO victory with a random card he never used before, I'm gonna be to lose it
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

52 by SuperAdventure »»
29 seconds ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

15 by Longnines »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

69 by Longnines »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

20 by SuperAdventure »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

30 by Shirayukin »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.