13.5%
7.7%
104 votes
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 8, 2016 9:12 PM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Actually, I mostly used the definition Dave Cullen used in writing about Columbine. Do you have anything else that defines psychopathy while excluding high social skills?

Un-stealthily avoiding the first paragraph, wouldn't expect anything less from you.

What is it with your urge to want to constantly drag threads off-topic? Pretty sure this thread isn't about psychopathy.
You do realise both the Columbine kids were bullied, right? Psychopaths don't have "high social skills", they just tend to have a knack for manipulating people.

Being able to manipulate implies you have good social skills.

No, the Columbine kids weren't actually bullied. I'm not sure where you get that. Harris hated everything, had a superiority complex. Dylan was depressed and suicidal. More often than not, Harris was the bully to others.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 9, 2016 7:35 PM

Jan 2014
As many have already mentioned, it is humans themselves.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 9, 2016 8:16 PM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Being able to manipulate implies you have good social skills.

...Just wat?

No, the Columbine kids weren't actually bullied. I'm not sure where you get that. Harris hated everything, had a superiority complex. Dylan was depressed and suicidal. More often than not, Harris was the bully to others.

Every credible source claims both kids were bullied, not sure where you got that they weren't (probably another dubious blog). Possibly being bullies themselves doesn't mean they weren't bullied. Whatever the actual story was, neither of us will ever know since neither of us were them, nor were we there, we can only speculate and assume based on information given to us.

Manipulation is a social skill. It's making someone do something using interaction. Making people love you or trust you is also a social skill. These are a set of actions you use in a social setting to get a desired effect.

Dave Cullen's book is considered the big authority on the subject. His conclusions also fit what I read in aColumbineSite, which compiles pretty much all the evidence. Perhaps the bullying thing may be true for Dylan - he was suicidal and depressive. Eric Harris was a psychopath and everyone was sure he's model behavior (Except for a very few).
Nov 9, 2016 8:18 PM

May 2013
One word, plain and simple: deforestation.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 10, 2016 1:18 PM

May 2015
SnugglyWhuggly said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Manipulation is a social skill. It's making someone do something using interaction. Making people love you or trust you is also a social skill. These are a set of actions you use in a social setting to get a desired effect.

Dave Cullen's book is considered the big authority on the subject. His conclusions also fit what I read in aColumbineSite, which compiles pretty much all the evidence. Perhaps the bullying thing may be true for Dylan - he was suicidal and depressive. Eric Harris was a psychopath and everyone was sure he's model behavior (Except for a very few).

No, it's really not. It's psychological warfare, hardly a social skill.
Are you trying to imply you need to manipulate people in order to get them to trust or love you...? Babies don't have social skills, most parents will still love their babies. Animals don't have social skills, at least "human" social skills, but many people still love and trust their pets as well. What you're claiming makes literally no sense.

As far as I'm aware, from everything I've ever read on the subject, both kids were bullied. Not saying I'm right, but I'm just saying I've never read to the contrary. I am pretty sure Eric Harris wasn't a "model behaviour" though (whatever this even means). Being a psychopath doesn't make you the charming, stereotypical movie psychopath. If you believe everyone who allegedly has psychopathy is Patrick Bateman, I think you need to do more research into what psychopathy actually is.

Only psychopath that comes to mind who even remotely fits the typical stereotype, is Ted Bundy.

I'm actually not sure if Patrick Bateman fits the 'psychopath' bill. It's been awhile since I read that book.

Well, if you can't show me your sources I can't compare. Both aColumineSite and Dave Cullen's books are considered leading authorities on the subject. The website has tons of evidence. I'd like to see evidence that bullying was a serious issue with these two.

Social skills is getting people to like you, understanding the social situation, acting in a way that benefits you the most. A person with high social skills is a person who's great to be around, since he understands what people want and can communicate with them. The reason I use 'manipulate' in this context is because Harris didn't use his high social skills to connect. Rather, he used them to avoid being a suspect in planning a massacre.
Nov 10, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
Entropy. Everything stagnates over time, no matter how good it initially seems.
Nov 10, 2016 8:00 PM

Aug 2016
A lot of these are the results of the actions of humans, so I'm going with humans.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Nov 10, 2016 8:01 PM

Jun 2009
I'll leave a quote

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

― Jim Butcher, Vignette

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

36 by Crawlie »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
1 hour ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.