Forum Settings
Forums

I am writing a novel and I need an advice (or two)

New
Sep 29, 2016 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
Hello, not sure if this is the right section but I have two questions and I thought I might ask you guys for an advice

Sorry for the wall of textin advance

question no. 1
I wanted to add illustrations to my novel but I am not sure whether I should do the illustrations digitally or by hand and then scan them (I haven't got a tablet so I can't draw digitally now but I am planning on buying one so this is more of a question for the future)

question no.2
I also wanted to add some sort of trivia/lore pages every now and then for example before a chapter in which the heroes are going to an dwarven fortress/kingdom I wanted to add a trivia page with an map a coat of armes and short description of the country sort of the way they do it in video games, I wanted to do that instead of inserting all of that into the dialouges and boring the reader but I am not certain whether it is a good idea and maybe I should try inplement that stuff into the dialogues and the story (I plan on inserting some of it even if I'l make the trivia pages but my plan is to add as much as the reader needs and adding the rest into those trivia pages)

Edit:
question no.3
What are some websites I can post my novel on for download or online read, so I won't have to worry for someone stealing my work? Also I want this website to be free for others to use, so no bandcamp type but something like soundloud only for novels and sories

Let me know what you think

(also sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am on my phone and if you have a phone you know how hard it is to right a paragraph on it)
removed-userOct 1, 2016 5:24 AM
Sep 29, 2016 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
I personally think you're looking into it too much, don't do lore and trivia, that's for fans to do if you're a good enough writer. You should have your character pages, but don't post them.

Also, if you're looking for an editor, I can help.
Sep 29, 2016 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
Senpaoi said:
I personally think you're looking into it too much, don't do lore and trivia, that's for fans to do if you're a good enough writer

Yeah you're probably right, I still think having a map is a good idea to help visualize the world

You should have your character pages

Chatacter pages as if a page with a drawing of character with a short introduction?

but don't post the

Not sure what you mean

Also, if you're looking for an editor, I can help.

Sure, I'll remember that tho I've only just started and it's in a very early stage
Sep 29, 2016 7:19 PM
Feb 2016
Darekmhn1 said:
Hello, not sure if this is the right section but I have two questions and I thought I might ask you guys for an advice

question no. 1
I wanted to add illustrations to my novel but I am not sure whether I should do the illustrations digitally or by hand and then scan them (I haven't got a tablet so I can't draw digitally now but I am planning on buying one so this is more of a question for the future)

question no.2
I also wanted to add some sort of trivia/lore pages every now and then for example before a chapter in which the heroes are going to an dwarven fortress/kingdom I wanted to add a trivia page with an map a coat of armes and short description of the country sort of the way they do it in video games, I wanted to do that instead of inserting all of that into the dialouges and boring the reader but I am not certain whether it is a good idea and maybe I should try inplement that stuff into the dialogues and the story (I plan on inserting some of it even if I'l make the trivia pages but my plan is to add as much as the reader needs and adding the rest into those trivia pages)

(also sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am on my phone and if you have a phone you know how hard it is to right a paragraph on it)

Develop the setting first, or turn the trivia into a setting outline. I'm developing an outline first so that I'll know what to do from there. Character, setting, etc.

Sep 29, 2016 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
Ouroboros108 said:
Darekmhn1 said:

question no. 1

question no.2

Develop the setting first, or turn the trivia into a setting outline. I'm developing an outline first so that I'll know what to do from there. Character, setting, etc.

Yeah, I am making the setting and characters first as well, (tho I am writing my story ideas down as well)
Sep 29, 2016 8:38 PM

Feb 2008
Book illustrations are normally done traditionally, then cleaned up digitally, so I'd say to go with that.
Sep 29, 2016 8:56 PM

Apr 2014
As for the first question, you can scan it and edit it in Photoshop or other tools you can edit it for, thus making it digitally. Seniors in our school do it that way because for the same reason.
Sep 29, 2016 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Sayanna said:
Book illustrations are normally done traditionally, then cleaned up digitally, so I'd say to go with that.

Kuneho said:
As for the first question, you can scan it and edit it in Photoshop or other tools you can edit it for, thus making it digitally. Seniors in our school do it that way because for the same reason.

I guess I am going to do it that way, thx
Sep 29, 2016 9:04 PM

Apr 2014
Good luck. Hope we'll get to see your illustrations and your novel.
Sep 30, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
are you as good at drawing digitally as you are by hand? go with the one you are better at.

I think those lore pages are a great idea. putting ALL that info in dialogues will be boring.

it'll be easier to take a step back from the hero's journey and know what he is getting into.
excellent idea. but make sure, its not tooo large or too long to take our minds off the hero's quest.
Sep 30, 2016 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
KuroudoAkabane said:
are you as good at drawing digitally as you are by hand? go with the one you are better at.

I think those lore pages are a great idea. putting ALL that info in dialogues will be boring.

it'll be easier to take a step back from the hero's journey and know what he is getting into.
excellent idea. but make sure, its not tooo large or too long to take our minds off the hero's quest.

I have no experience with digital drawing, lol, maybe it's a much, much better idea to draw them by hand

well now I don't know whether the lore pages are good or bad, I am confused *cries* but I guess there ain't no pleasing everyone
Sep 30, 2016 6:06 AM

Jun 2015
Darekmhn1 said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

I have no experience with digital drawing, lol, maybe it's a much, much better idea to draw them by hand

well now I don't know whether the lore pages are good or bad, I am confused *cries* but I guess there ain't no pleasing everyone
of course I think they are great.
i write descriptions of surroundings and how the place that person is in looks like.
And have been told, that its a good idea that I give some background, it makes it have a visual feel. Like when you see a scene and then the hero enters.
Sep 30, 2016 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
KuroudoAkabane said:

i write descriptions of surroundings and how the place that person is in looks like.
And have been told, that its a good idea that I give some background, it makes it have a visual feel. Like when you see a scene and then the hero enters.

well, descriptions of locations are obvious I meant some more like a mini wiki page

first, take a look at this
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Ferelden

now, what I mean is a example small map, on a page 1 and then on the second one something like that little table on the right only instead of a map a coat of arms then details such as government type, races, languages ETC, and then a small description kinda like the first mini paragraph, i mean this one:

[quote]Ferelden is a relatively young kingdom located in southeastern Thedas. It was formed by King Calenhad nearly four hundred years before the start of the Fifth Blight by uniting Alamarri clans.[/qoute]

only slightly longer (sentence or two longer)

that type of stuff
Sep 30, 2016 8:03 AM
Nov 2015
As far as I know all Anime and Manga ilustrations are made with graphic tablets, so if u want to write ur own novel and have illustrations then u should go for digital art for sure. You can also just ask an artist to draw the illustrations for you but you'll have yo pay them for sure.
Good luck.
Oct 1, 2016 12:19 AM

Jun 2015
[quote=Darekmhn1 message=47969708]
KuroudoAkabane said:

well, descriptions of locations are obvious I meant some more like a mini wiki page

now, what I mean is a example small map, on a page 1 and then on the second one something like that little table on the right only instead of a map a coat of arms then details such as government type, races, languages ETC, and then a small description kinda like the first mini paragraph, i mean this one:

Ferelden is a relatively young kingdom located in southeastern Thedas. It was formed by King Calenhad nearly four hundred years before the start of the Fifth Blight by uniting Alamarri clans.[/qoute]

that type of stuff

I agree with you to that idea, It's better to draw an illustration of the map rather than having multiple descriptions. Since you're drawing the illustrations by yourself, I think it would be better to place a two page spread of the map before the prologue.

Sorry for the bad English :D
Oct 1, 2016 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
@S0rahana

Well it would be tough to spread it on two pages since I am not working for any publisher or anything, I just plan on making it on my own and putting it on some website gir peeps to read for freeif they want to, a web novel, I think that's how it's called and it's really not a posibillity in a PDF file

And don't worry about your english, it's more then fine
Oct 2, 2016 4:09 PM
Sep 2014
Do not write info dumps into your own story, especially with pictures

Unless it's done very well any pictures will severely disrupt your narrative flow

You should have details come out on their own through character interactions and dialogue as well as any background description

Readers want to figure things out and feel smart, they do not want to be bombarded with information that may not be relevant for many pages
Oct 2, 2016 4:39 PM

Jun 2015
[quote=Darekmhn1 message=47969708]
KuroudoAkabane said:

Ferelden is a relatively young kingdom located in southeastern Thedas. It was formed by King Calenhad nearly four hundred years before the start of the Fifth Blight by uniting Alamarri clans.[/qoute]

that type of stuff
I see.
like a glossary page.
thats a nice idea.
but do not put that between a chapter.
something like that will be distracting in the middle.
but if you put that before the chapter begins, that would be a great setup.
like the early eps of fairy tail
Oct 24, 2016 2:54 PM

Nov 2015
I can't say that I'm a wonderful writer, although I write articles for such sites as Forbes, CNN, Lifehack and others. I'm not sure is it counts, as far as I'm not a usual journalist, I work for these guys http://www.netgeron.com/. Nevertheless, I want to give you a small advice. As for me, the most important for writer is to write true, to feel it. I like this thought: 'I write for the same reason I breathe - 'cause If i didn't I would die.' Good idea, isn't it?
Oct 24, 2016 3:08 PM

Dec 2015
do not over think the details, if you have an idea (for a visual) sketch it right away and keep it even if you don't use it later it is fine and you can choose to improve it later
Oct 25, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2015
If you don't hate your reader, please, don't give him a map of an imaginary location. I had to learn Mars' map to read the Martian Trilogy, oh boy I suck at this. I'm not learning some fantasy land geography. I skipped nearly a whole tome of Hyperion/Endymion because of unneeded and random geographical input T__T.

Generally speaking, especially if you're going for trad heroic fantasy, your reader knows what is coming. No need to tell him dwarves live in caves and craft nice armors.
Oct 26, 2016 8:26 AM

Feb 2010
Illustrations should really be used to "enhance" your work, mainly to showcase characters or other critical scenes for the reader. The idea of "wiki page" is probably not the best idea. Maps and other layouts are all well and good, and serve well in creating a world template in reader's minds, but anything more is too much and will be skipped over by the majority of readers.

The best is to carefully string together your world through your characters and dialogue. You don't want to "info dump" but you want to create a visual in your reader's mind. Carefully choose what is the most important details, focus on them, and slowly construct what you wish to show/tell. If done right, your reader will be that much more informed, and hardly notice that you spent the last few pages talking about a single city layout (or whatever you are trying to convey).

It's a delicate balance and takes time to get a hang of. With time though, you will notice that your story flows better and your characters feel more alive.

I also suggest "beta reads." Get your friends and family to read your work. Get as many eyes on it as you can and look for feedback. Every little bit counts, and don't be afraid to take criticism. Sometimes it can hurt, but it will only make you stronger.

As for sites that "protect" your work, and allow you to post things freely...I'm unsure. I've always held my work close to my chest till it is "completed" and I have attained the work's copyright. There are many sites that let you post for free, but you will have to look into their site's disclaimer and rules regarding that.

I can suggest this site:
https://www.inkitt.com/?ref=v_c6e68548-56f6-4fc6-b370-b798e60a9aa4

The above site isn't bad and has a decent format to put your work up. I would suggest taking a look into it and see if it fits what you are looking for.

As for art, digital is best. It will cost a bit to hire someone but my experience has been good. You will be surprised how friendly and reasonable some of the "freelance artists" are out there. You could always look for a "student" and see if they would be willing to do "free" work for experience. Otherwise, I would suggest grooming your craft so it's ready for prime time.

Hope I was helpful. Keep writing, and good luck.
Oct 26, 2016 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
@Clebardman
@alterangel1046zr

I already changed my mind and completely changed my approach to the entire thing...

But Clebarman, Buddy, I have a geographical fetish... I am not going to throw there 100 maps and they are not supposed to be necessary, just to make it easier for some to navigate where the characters are during their journey.

I also suggest "beta reads." Get your friends and family to read your work. Get as many eyes on it as you can and look for feedback. Every little bit counts, and don't be afraid to take criticism. Sometimes it can hurt, but it will only make you stronger.

My sister is a reader so I am planning to make her suffer through my terrible writing to improve it XD

As for art, digital is best. It will cost a bit to hire someone but my experience has been good. You will be surprised how friendly and reasonable some of the "freelance artists" are out there. You could always look for a "student" and see if they would be willing to do "free" work for experience. Otherwise, I would suggest grooming your craft so it's ready for prime time.

I may try but I rather keeping it mine, also I would guess that black and white sketchy illustrations which is what I want might be better if drawn on paper, but oh well I'll see for myself how it will work out. Also I don't think I am going to make any illustrations aside from chapter graphics.

Thank you.

Oh and I have one website already in mind to post it on.

Also it feels weird to see my thread back on the first page.
removed-userOct 26, 2016 9:43 AM

More topics from this board

» English essay

Jeycopp - Feb 3, 2015

12 by JeanParcks »»
2 hours ago

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 11:56 AM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Yesterday, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Apr 24

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Apr 24, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Apr 24, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.