Forum Settings
Forums

In general, how much time between first Japanese release and first English release??

New
Sep 21, 2016 7:50 PM

Mar 2015
As the title says.

I don't usually buy a lot of manga but there's one I'm particularly interested in buying, namely Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen. 2 volumes have been published so far in Japan. As a general rule of thumb, how much time is there usually between the first Japanese release and the first English release?

Thanks in advance!
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 22, 2016 12:46 AM

May 2010
If it's not licensed, there is no English version.

Since it's a Shueisha title, I'll assume that Viz will one day license it for their Signature imprint. The first English volume usually comes out a year after the licensing announcement is given (it's usually in the announcement when the first book comes out) and the release schedule is heightened compared to the JP release schedule.
Sep 23, 2016 4:10 PM

Mar 2015
4evaDC said:
If it's not licensed, there is no English version.

Since it's a Shueisha title, I'll assume that Viz will one day license it for their Signature imprint. The first English volume usually comes out a year after the licensing announcement is given (it's usually in the announcement when the first book comes out) and the release schedule is heightened compared to the JP release schedule.

I'm a bit confused. To be clear, the first English-licensed (say by Viz) volume usually comes out one whole year after the licensing announcement?!
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 23, 2016 7:25 PM

May 2010
I can't tell you an exact date as it depends on what is in the announcement.

For Viz, usually when they announce something it comes out the next year. To give you a real life example, Yona of the Dawn and Haikyu were announced as licensed late last year at NYCC. Their first volumes came out recently. Not exactly 1 whole year.

TBH, the first volume doesn't matter as much as the release schedule.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

16 by PushedCaraway »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
3 hours ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
5 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.