Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2016 9:33 PM

Aug 2009
I expect not too many responses, but in trying to further my anime knowledge....why is this beautiful movie not rate much much higher? Are there technical issues that I am not aware of? Do people not like the animation, story, characters? Can't figure it out. Any help would be great.

And btw "people" have fixed some of the largely mainstream issues with the original cut. Just saying.

Sep 14, 2016 9:50 PM

Mar 2008
As much as I liked the aesthetic, I think I could never shake the feeling of having seeing it all before. Despite having its set of particular and unusual fantasy elements (a friendly hand, space vampires, etc.) those elements were marginal, and the core of the film was a stock adventure/chase with familiar vampire/hunter tropes.

The art was lovely, but the events and action sometimes felt unnaturally stuttered - like excerpts from a book. The characters were forgettable - their characters superficial. Not that it makes them unlikeable, but the supporting cast were essentially all cliches, an D himself as a stoic badassman doesn't give much to latch onto.

So essentially we have a straihtforward action-fantasy film - which while a wonderful production, doesn't have a powerful hook (imo) for the majority of viewers. While the setting, designs, and art were incredible, the particular action-brand and lack of character-focus/plot would likely put off those viewers who might have a strong interest in such vampire fantasy. On the flip-side, the action is well animated and interesting, but it's not outright 'epic', and unforgettably superb like in Sword of the Stranger or Cowboy Bebop, for example. Nor is it as iconic as the star moments of Akira or GiTS.

For an "old" anime film, I think it's rating (near 8?) is actually quite good. If you compare it with other 2000s films on the top list, sure, it doesn't stack up so well. But the highly rated films on MAL tend to have a broader appeal or franchise-backing that Hunter D does not.

That all said, it's been a long while since I've seen the film, so this might just be my ass talking gas.
Sep 14, 2016 10:21 PM

Aug 2009
Thanks for the rhetoric and insight. I actually agree with pretty much all that you said. So I guess my question is answered on its face. But I must say you might want to check it out one more time. It is pretty amazing, and I think we can't/shouldn't get caught up in revisionist history about the time period (not saying you personally are doing that).

There were a lot of jams we loved in the late 90s/early 2000s that I think this movie can hold water to. But of course there is a new standard, so some movies might not hold up because of said standard.

And to your point about the story, that is the larger issue that we are always dealing with, whether Hollywood or Anime, we are always dealing with recycled themes, and unoriginal ideas. But I was not put off by the "love" story and they actually "made it". Escaped I mean. Felt good, looked good, and it was an old story. I just thought, based on this site (how people rate things), it would be in the mid 8's, maybe even high 8s.

And by no means do I think people under appreciate it.

Nov 16, 2020 5:13 AM
Feb 2020
Because plebs.

Because plebs.
Jan 13, 2021 4:16 PM

Apr 2011
Kids don't know what's good.

Kawajiri is one of the GOAT's and Bloodlust is one of his best works (my favorite actually).
Jan 18, 2021 4:19 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Seriously though, I've just seen this and it's a visual masterpiece. It definitely deserves a score above an 8/10 at the very least.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Feb 20, 2021 1:29 PM

Feb 2021
Wow this is art, tye aesthetics, the color pallete, the world building, the characters desing, the animation, even if characters were bland and forgetable, this movie is over 1 hour and a half abd i didnt feel it, i get burn out with watching some animes and thatsbonly 20 minutes, and this, i didnt feel it, so good !!!!

Peak aesthetics, this deserve a score over at 8 minimun
Oct 31, 2021 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly, the plot isn’t explained well. It should’ve been a longer movie. Why did Carmela betray Meyers? Why did she need the girls blood and why was she in that tomb? Was that even her? Honestly the whole plot involving Carmela was confusing. Why don’t they explain why D’s hand has a little friend engraved in it some more? I feel like they don’t really explore that dynamic a lot. There’s just a lot of loose ends.

That being said I rated this a 10/10. Did not care. This is quite literally the best fucking animation I’ve seen come out of an anime, why is it so underrated? Had it not been for an edit I saw on Instagram, I think I would’ve never known this existed. I literally loved every second and the aesthetics were superb. I’m a huge vampire nerd and this just made me so incredibly happy, you have no idea. I’m rating this on pure enjoyment which isn’t something I really do. Like, GOD. THAT WAS AMAZING.
Mar 8, 2022 3:16 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
I just rewatched this movie over a year later and honestly, it's still confounding how this has a score below an 8. I know MAL is mostly shite at scoring but this one feels so off that I just don't get why it's not higher. Still my favourite art/visuals in anime of all time.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
May 26, 2022 11:47 PM

Aug 2020
MirjanVersia said:
Honestly, the plot isn’t explained well. It should’ve been a longer movie. Why did Carmela betray Meyers? Why did she need the girls blood and why was she in that tomb? Was that even her? Honestly the whole plot involving Carmela was confusing. Why don’t they explain why D’s hand has a little friend engraved in it some more? I feel like they don’t really explore that dynamic a lot. There’s just a lot of loose ends.

That being said I rated this a 10/10. Did not care. This is quite literally the best fucking animation I’ve seen come out of an anime, why is it so underrated? Had it not been for an edit I saw on Instagram, I think I would’ve never known this existed. I literally loved every second and the aesthetics were superb. I’m a huge vampire nerd and this just made me so incredibly happy, you have no idea. I’m rating this on pure enjoyment which isn’t something I really do. Like, GOD. THAT WAS AMAZING.

it was explained by the countenance carbuncle that Carmilla was stabbed in her sleep by Dracula and she died the tomb is like her crypt

though her spirit lingered in the world and the whole reason she betrays Meyers is so that she can absorb the blood of charlotte

but I get what you mean Vampire Hunter D' sort of get's away with not explaining a lot of history but I still think it never detracts from the story or film
Dec 26, 2022 1:02 PM

Oct 2020
Yeah, i'm confused it's one of the best anime movies out there yet it averages slightly below a 8 !?

More topics from this board

» What happened to the Vampire Hunter D series we were promised?

AnnaSartin - Jan 23, 2015

16 by AnnaSartin »»
Mar 31, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Karikaturata - Jan 16, 2010

74 by laughterjones »»
Oct 23, 2023 11:25 AM

» Miss this old look

KasutoroSama - Jan 21, 2022

1 by yudeauh »»
Jan 30, 2022 5:27 PM

» vampire hunter D amv

FMB - Dec 14, 2014

2 by FMB »»
Nov 6, 2020 2:46 AM

» Do I need to see the original Vampire Hunter D?

FrickinNormie - Sep 29, 2017

2 by Drastic-Measure »»
Dec 31, 2017 1:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.