Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you think that Psycho-Pass does not incorporate and explore a society's cultural influences on its political institutions enough to be more thematically effective?
Aug 11, 2016 3:25 AM

Aug 2012
I hope this is the place to post this thread, for I'm at a loss.

Regardless, as per the title, I'm genuinely curious and interested to examine this show from an academic standpoint. Specifically, I am hoping to interact with fellow sociology, political science, psychology, economics, history and anthropology students and professionals on the concepts used throughout the show. I don't think anyone's done this before, have they? So hopefully that with the creation of this thread it would allow us to discuss and understand the show and our academic disciplines better through the exchange of ideas.

As for me, I'm a psychology student and have been reading much from various fields of social science and the humanities. Also, I do not know everything, it isn't physically possible to do so, and thus I apologize at certain points for my lack of knowledge on certain aspects that are being discussed.

And with that, perhaps we shall begin. I'll wait for a response to assess other individuals' interest in this thread before posting one myself. And oh yes, here's a poll in the meantime.
Aug 22, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
Sorry, I am not a student of any of these fields. But I would be interested in seeing these thread take off and people have a conversation over this. Would be nice really. Was a bit surprised no one besides you had posted here.

Feel free to post whatever you would like to share with the community, I'd like to read it.
Aug 24, 2016 1:36 PM

Aug 2012
Wow, to think it's been 2 weeks. Before I knew it, I already lost hope that anyone would even bother reading this thread until you came along and made a reply, dayyum!

Yeah, I hope so too, that y'know it takes off and some legit conversations start to take place. Thanks for showing support. I'm glad :D
Aug 24, 2016 1:45 PM

Aug 2012
So there've been 3 other votes cast after 2 weeks it seems? (Well, besides mine)

Now, I'm sorry for not stating it beforehand but I would also like anyone who made a vote to post a reply so that I can get to know your thoughts and ideas. Pretty please? :'(

Also, I'll be busy this week, so I'll post a reply next week to further elaborate upon the question that I'm asking in the poll. It's convention week here in Kuala Lumpur so that's the reason why if you're wondering.
Aug 25, 2016 12:11 PM

Jul 2015
Ya sure, take your time. I haven't really formed a reply so far cause I don't entirely understand the question. If you could elaborate a bit, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sep 15, 2016 6:35 AM

Aug 2012
Okay, OMG... I gotta apologize bros, I completely forgot about this thread... #SeppukuTaimu Just wow, such brain cells, much malnutrition lelz...

Anyways, it's been so long that there's little point in explaining what happened cept than well, let's just get down to it.

Oh man, I don't know if anyone would even bother with this thread anymore but I'm still gonna try, can't give up just yet.

So essentially, what I was attempting to explain is that within the context of Psycho-Pass, Gen Urobuchi simply did not further explore how culture is crucial towards the development of the governmental and economic sub-system that encapsulates the then society of Japan. In the movie as well (sorry, I haven't watched it but I'll go by what I've observed), he doesn't attempt to link how the culture of South/South-East Asia led to the development of a war-torn region that is run by authoritarian autocratic governmental systems. For instance, the institution of culture in Japan has influenced how the institution of government has developed throughout the many centuries that the Japanese archipelago has been inhabited. Then later when foreign economic systems were introduced, the institution of economy in Japan began to develop based off those ideas, but are ultimately influenced by the institutions of culture and government for they are interconnected.

Thus as an example, based off the characteristics of Japanese society (which is a product of the interconnectedness and mutual influencing of the various institutions) in which Psycho Pass depicts, it can be inferred that the culture of Japan remains as it is in our present time, but with more lax attitudes towards sexuality.

There are other institutions as well, with the most recognizable ones being the institutions of religion and the military.

The reason why I bring this up is that over the years I have come to gain a better understanding of cultural, economic and governmental systems and how they interact with one another while being distinct. I've also begun to develop a framework from which I can describe, distinguish and categorize the various concepts more effectively so that I am able to them understand better. Hopefully, with further study and discourse I can then further refine my knowledge and perhaps formulate better frameworks for understanding.

I thank you for reading and continuing to participate in this discussion. I apologize for my tardiness but hopefully now that I've reviewed the thread settings, I'll be able to pick up on new posts as they arrive. Yes, in case you were wondering why.
NishizawaMihashiSep 24, 2016 3:46 AM
Sep 22, 2016 7:56 PM

Sep 2016
im in no way an expert in any of theese fields but this is what i think...

1.pressure of society to find a job ,be educated...hence the job system
2.world war 2 is the best example....why did japan participate in it ...?
3.why did you assume the history of japan was as it is...?

i need to think more...well ..il come by later...
Sep 24, 2016 4:00 AM

Aug 2012
Oh hey there!

I'm not sure as to what your're specifically referring to in points 1 & 3, but especially 1 so I'm afraid that I can't adequately reply to that however in regards to point 2...

While there are several different reasons, the ones that stand out the most are due to 1) ideological impetus and 2) economic necessity. The in-depth specifics of which I don't really know all that well.

And as for point 3, like I've said, I'm not too sure about what you're referring to specifically in what you stated. Are you specifically referring to the fictional future timeline found within the show, or are you wondering about the key details that had happened which ultimately led to the future timeline becoming reality? It'd be great if you could come back and discuss more about the specifics of your points so that your points become clearer.
Oct 6, 2016 9:45 PM

Sep 2016
NishizawaMihashi said:
Oh hey there!

I'm not sure as to what your're specifically referring to in points 1 & 3, but especially 1 so I'm afraid that I can't adequately reply to that however in regards to point 2...

While there are several different reasons, the ones that stand out the most are due to 1) ideological impetus and 2) economic necessity. The in-depth specifics of which I don't really know all that well.

And as for point 3, like I've said, I'm not too sure about what you're referring to specifically in what you stated. Are you specifically referring to the fictional future timeline found within the show, or are you wondering about the key details that had happened which ultimately led to the future timeline
becoming reality? It'd be great if you could come back and discuss more about the specifics of your points so that your points become clearer.

let me quote quora here

What was Japan's motivation for entering World War II? What role did the Japanese emperor play during World War II?

Japan was desperate and in social and economic crisis, and the country was racked by devastating natural disasters. Dozens of earthquakes ravaged the country leaving destruction in their wake.

The bottom fell out of the Japanese economy and they became a country ready for political upheaval. By 1926 over three-million workers were unemployed and thousands had lost their life savings.

For the first time in history, Japan was on the edge of revolt. A communist movement became popular and was gaining momentum.

The Diet (Japanese Parliament) took action to exterminate what they called "Dangerous Ideologies" and created the "Tokka" or special police and smashed all communist sentiments by 1928.

In 1930 a string of assassinations began. It was a brainless period of patriotism when zealots tried to purify Japan by murdering its leaders.

Extremists felt their leaders were cowering to the West by limiting Japan's navel expansion and Prime Minister Hamaguchi was killed in 1930.

The political murders continued when a faction called “The Blood Brotherhood” carried out the executions of Finance Minister Junnosuke Inoue and Baron Takuma Dan.

The public sympathized with the assassins and considered them heroes and pled for leniency. Eventually the killers and their accomplices were released.

Japan, a nation dependent upon imported resources, suffered when the The Great Depression hit America destroying their greatest economic industry, the export of silk to the U.S.

Why did officials ignore peace-loving Emperor Hirohito, who once wrote “Sublime is the moment when the world is at peace?” And why did Hirohito never make a forceful enough appeal to prevent hostilities?

Hirohito accepted his role as a priestly figurehead who was expected to maintain a god-like dignity and not involve himself in affairs of state except in a purely ceremonial role.

The Emperor realized that the war-loving generals and politicians were deliberately venerating him to divine status to purposely render him impotent.

Although Hirohito indirectly made his disagreement known he was handcuffed by custom and ancient tradition from voicing out his true desires or making specific demands.

Japanese leaders believed that Asian colonies could supply them with raw materials and aid them in their economic problems through conquest.

Acting upon his own initiative Lieutenant Colonel Kanji Ishihara began Japan's military aggression by attacking Manchuria under pretext of wrong-doing in order to seize territory.

By March 1932, the Japanese Kwantung Army led by the recently promoted Colonel Kanji Ishihara was given the go-ahead to capture all of Manchuria, Jehol, and a part of Mongolia.

The United States and other powers refused to recognize the new independent state of Manchukuo which was made up of conquered lands that had been taken from China.

The Japanese were infuriated by “The League of Nations” condemning their actions and withdrew from the League disregarding world opinion and peace treaties.

In 1939 the United States rescinded its commercial treaty with the Empire of Japan and began to restrict essential shipments of oil and metals.

These actions created resentment for the West and furthered the already deep seated Anti-Anglo feelings.

By 1941 the U.S. joined in a full embargo which was a devastating blow to Japanese need and reliance upon imported oil.

Japan, given a choice of withdrawing from China or be denied the resources they needed to continue their campaign, chose war.

Prime Minister Hideki Tojo said, “ We have nothing to fear in fighting the U.S. and Britain.” It was decided that Japan would attack America in order to remove the last meaningful obstacle to turning the Pacific into a Japanese lake.

Unfortunately for the Japanese three aircraft carriers escaped and a last minute decision to not destroy the shore facilities left the American Navy base intact.

Thus it was the assault on Pearl Harbor would eventually lead to the downfall of Japan, and in the famous words of a Japanese commander, who had been educated in the US and knew how big and wealthy we were said after the attack, “Awake a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

https://www.quora.com/What-was-Japans-motivation-for-entering-World-War-II-What-role-did-the-Japanese-emperor-play-during-World-War-II
Oct 6, 2016 9:52 PM

Sep 2016
we all seek an ideal society.
but the definition varies.
in the anime they reveal food shortages in the earlier years.food shortages was shown as the reason for the changes i believe.
the ideology of one who has power is likely to be implemented in times of hardship i suppose.
question - if you dont feel guilt when you do the crime you are not guilty?
then a psychopath would be a free man yes?
rrbgoku791Oct 6, 2016 9:57 PM
Oct 6, 2016 10:01 PM

Sep 2016
The Sibyl System is the name given to a law enforcement enterprise run in cooperation with the government to manage crime in 21st century Japan. It is the sole operator and manager of proprietary hardware and software used to analyze the criminal tendencies of the entire country's populace. The Sibyl System establishes the Public Safety Bureau and rules over its personnel, along with all Psycho-Pass technology and weaponry with an iron fist.
Contents[show]
The Sibyl System (aka Sibyl)

The Sibyl System is a hive mind made up of "people" who, like Makishima, are criminally asymptomatic so that their Psycho-Passes cannot be determined. There are 247 currently known members in total, with 200 of these members working around the clock to scan and determine the Psycho-Pass of everyone in the country.
Membership

The most important qualifications needed to become a member:

You must possess a personality that doesn't fit in with humanity's conventional standards.
You must be able to oversee human actions from an objective viewpoint, without empathy or sympathy clouding your judgment.
You must be criminally asymptomatic; that is, unreadable by the Sibyl System.

Membership is determined by existing members who will use any means necessary to persuade you to join them. Once approved, your brain is surgically excised from your body, then housed in a unique container and integrated into the hive mind where your personality co-exists with other members. Members may participate in real-world activities by utilizing cybernetic bodies, such as that of Joshu Kasei. These bodies are constructed to be easily replicated and integrated with whichever mind it houses. The identities of the the Sibyl System members, with the exception of Kozaburo Toma and Misako Togane, remain unknown to date.
Etymology

The system is named Sibyl after the "Cumaean Sibyl" of ancient Greek mythology. Known as a prophet with oracular powers, she was once mortal but wished to be immortal. She is granted her wish by the god Apollo, but her boon becomes her bane when she forgets to also ask for eternal youth. Sibyl eventually withers away to be tiny enough to fit in a jar, then hung from a tree where children below taunt her saying, "Sibyl, Sibyl, what do you wish for?" to which she replies, "I wish to die."[1]

This version of Sibyl is reinforced in two instances: the first during Tsunemori's first mission when Masaoka calls Sibyl's judgment an "oracle" and the second when Joshu Kasei declares to Makishima, "I feel like a prophet right out of a myth" during one of their conversations.[2][3]
Sibyl's Core

The core is located in the deepest sub-basement of the NONA Tower. Sibyl does not rely on computers entirely, as was originally thought for, as Tsunemori learns, Sibyl is comprised of glass chambers, each housing a member's brain. The members have to discard their original bodies, so that their brains can work in the chambers day in and day out to scan and measure every person's Psycho-Pass in Japan.
Job Assignment

In addition to just managing crime, Sibyl controls who can do what job after graduation. Everyone takes a Sibyl exam that determines what jobs they are eligible for and decides everything such as what industry you can work for and what professions you can or can't have. In this way they tighten their control. As has been stated by Rina Takizaki, there's not really a democracy anymore because Sibyl decides who the bureaucrats are. The officials elected by the citizens are just figureheads.[4]
Foreign Policy

Upon taking control, Sibyl closes the borders of Japan for both entry and exit by any and all individuals. This is done for several reasons:

Monitoring the Psycho-Pass of everyone coming and going is too much for the system to handle.
It jeopardizes international diplomatic relations should a foreigner be designated a latent criminal.
Foreigners deemed to be active criminals are subject to the same consequences as natives.

In fact, when Sibyl was activated, many people were exiled: social critics, political groups, students, university teachers, and some farmers; basically, anyone deemed useless in the new order.

http://psychopass.wikia.com/wiki/Sibyl_System
Oct 6, 2016 10:03 PM

Sep 2016
Hyper-oats are an extremely advanced form of food production invented some time between 2060 and 2069.

Hyper-oats are a very hearty and plentiful genetically modified food crop. They were bred to eliminate the need for importing foods due to the Sibyl System's Isolation Policy. This modified grain makes up 99% of the food supply in the country. Though it is an extremely efficient means of food production, it has a few inherent flaws. Due to it being genetically modified it has little genetic diversity and is vulnerable to any new strain of disease or insect predation. This is countered by the Uka-no-Mitama Defense Virus Project; however if this protection system were to be disrupted, it could place the entire agricultural system in jeopardy.
Impact On Society

With the rise of the Sibyl System and the new innovations in technology, more people moved into the built up urban areas. This population shift was the largest in the countries history and left too few people living in rural areas growing crops. Hyper-oats were created to fill this gap by increasing yields and productivity of each farm they were planted at. Hyper-oats are vital to the Sibyl System because without this important staple in their food supply, they would have to loosen their Isolation Policies to allow for import of food. As well as damaging the Isolation Policies possible food shortages could cause nationwide stress and increased Hue cloudiness which would ultimately lead to the breakdown of the Sibyl System.
History
Hyper-oats 1

All along the watchtower

Hyper-oats were developed by the Agricultural Scientist Nobuaki Kudama. He also developed the protective virus Uka-no-Mitama to discourage disease and predation during the plants growth. His work made Japan self sufficient enough that the Sibyl System could be implemented and maintain stability.

http://psychopass.wikia.com/wiki/Hyper-oats
Jan 5, 2017 4:39 AM

Feb 2010
Just one single point that might defeat anything else about Psycho-Pass is that the policy of isolation is impossible. End of story. If there are no other countries or people - then yeah, maybe, but who then to isolate from? Historicaly, as soon as there had become available the means to travel around the would in months time, isolation was over for everyone. Japan didn't have much luck with it's isolation policy either.

Seriously, I expected this to have more solid background, but it's built on too many assumptions. And you can make a story without those flaws around similar ideas. Brains in a jar are one the most stupidiest things I've seen in anime. The truth is that brain alone cannot "think" or remain active 24/7 and the most of brain structure is built with body in mind, it has little use without a body. Neo-cortex, which is believed to be responsible for conscious thinking is but a smal fration of a brain.
I thought Sybyl was a computer mind, some sort of AI, that would make a lot of sense. But no, they have to have brains in jars.
burbelsJan 5, 2017 4:43 AM
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jan 5, 2017 10:25 AM

Aug 2012
Interesting. Considered again, some major concepts become completely unworkable and outright impossible. As much as there were a few little things here and there throughout the show that got me intrigued but over the years the more baffling concepts just tear themselves apart.

As someone who's studying the field, I personally am trying to really figure out how is it possible for consciousness to exist without a suitable shell but there's just been no luck. Electrical signals by themselves alone don't inherently equate to reflexive consciousness. The signals are merely data being transferred and that's it, signals don't perceive themselves without the necessary physiological faculties, that's my hypothesis so far.

In regards to isolation, I find it difficult to understand myself. While unthinking adherence to and immense fear of mad laws and punishments might keep the populace in check and in Japan which are further intensified by baffling cultural concepts, it would be rather unthinkable for such a thing to occur in present times most especially since that Japan is now a fully connected tourist destination with many expressing great interest in foreign lands, cultures and their material goods. While North Korea is a great example of this level of isolated madness, it took several decades of all-encompassing repression and socialization for it to take effect. But that also leads to another question as to how much things can actually change within a single year. In approximately 2 decades, Stalin had become such a terrifying force that many of the populace were fully committed towards loyalty to the state out of personal gain and immense fear.

Now that I have typed it out like this, I would have to say that it is possible for the current paradigms regarding open borders can change in Japan but it would require some kind of event or series of events so threatening to domestic socio-economic-political stability that they would revert to Tokugawa era isolation whether gradually or suddenly. And this is where I think that Gen Urobuchi simply hasn't seemed to understand yet, if at all. In the movie he depicts South-East Asia as completely hapless derelict states but all manner of reasons fall heavily short as the people in South East Asia are more concerned with attacks from China instead of their neighbors. The man passes it all off as he has set the setting of Pscyho Pass to have occurred in the 2nd decade of the 22nd century CE but hell, we're close towards the 3rd decade of our 21st century CE and I don't see any of my South-East Asian political neighbors itching for some kind of regional domination through military conquest. I mean what is there to even gain? There's barely any mineral deposits left in this region, all there is are fucking jungles and rain. I just don't get it and thus my original criticism of Psycho-Pass's setting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

567 by scorpioniclibra »»
May 4, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

287 by scorpioniclibra »»
May 4, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2013

351 by scorpioniclibra »»
May 3, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2013

293 by scorpioniclibra »»
May 3, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Psycho-Pass Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2013

331 by scorpioniclibra »»
May 3, 6:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.