New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 20, 2017 12:57 PM

Feb 2015
CHAPTER 89
A NEW START

Apr 21, 2017 8:03 AM

Dec 2015
Fairy Tail is on my PTW, so figured out that reading a fanfic of it may just give me some ideas about what the universe will be.

Read the first six chapters, and gotta say you've gotten nice atmosphere and world building. From that, I'd guess that FT is an upbeat shonen series with magic. Guess I'll see that soon, but that thing itself already makes me bump FT into a more prioritized series I should check.

The character that stand out to me so far is Gajeel. A cold anti-hero kind of character. Me likey!

However, the battle can use a lot of improvement. My high standard for battle scenes is likely because I'm spoiled by some great battles in other fanfics I've ever read.
1. Big paragraphs take away the tension, along with long sentences. The paragraphs can use more spacing. I don't know if it's intended to be paragraphed that way or it's the BBCode problem, but it loses a lot of tension.
2. The visuals aren't enough. The prequip paragraph is a good example of visuals, but next up? Not too much. When Levy uses [Solid Script: Fire], how does the spell look like? A barrage of fireballs? A stream of fire? I can't visualize [a powerful fire attack]. And Elfman's monster form? How does that look like? I get that he's big, but it's still a very scant visual.
3. The most lacking aspect in the battle is the physical strain. You just tell that the characters are tired/hurt. Go deeper into the character's feeling. How's the pain? Searing? Stabbing? Etc. But if the characters can't feel pain, then you can forgo them. And the wounds. How do they look like? Where are they located? Etc. More visuals are surefire way to increase tension because if described enough, readers can even feel the characters' pain, whether the characters feel it or not.

The key to write better fight scenes? First, read more stories that features great battles, not necessarily from fanfics in general or fanfics of the fandoms you know and love. This is the best one because it's hard to express the awesome explosive and/or bloody fights in your head with mere WORDS, so seeing the examples of such great fights will certainly give you ideas how to write them better. Second, this is less helpful, but do reflect on a few action animes/mangas you like. For example, what makes the fights so awesome? Answer it by yourself (e.g. awesome choreography a la TTGL, very bloody with emphasis on physicality a la Berserk, etc), and see how you can apply the answer to your work.
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Apr 21, 2017 10:09 AM

Feb 2015
impmontamer03 said:
Fairy Tail is on my PTW, so figured out that reading a fanfic of it may just give me some ideas about what the universe will be.

Read the first six chapters, and gotta say you've gotten nice atmosphere and world building. From that, I'd guess that FT is an upbeat shonen series with magic. Guess I'll see that soon, but that thing itself already makes me bump FT into a more prioritized series I should check.

Your guess is right on spot. Fairy Tail's definitely lighter than Naruto or Bleach, which had some serious dark tones.

impmontamer03 said:
However, the battle can use a lot of improvement. My high standard for battle scenes is likely because I'm spoiled by some great battles in other fanfics I've ever read.
1. Big paragraphs take away the tension, along with long sentences. The paragraphs can use more spacing. I don't know if it's intended to be paragraphed that way or it's the BBCode problem, but it loses a lot of tension.

Have you tried reading it on fanfiction.com? I'm not sure, but it might be a little more readable on there than on here. Link is in the first post.

impmontamer03 said:
2. The visuals aren't enough. The prequip paragraph is a good example of visuals, but next up? Not too much. When Levy uses [Solid Script: Fire], how does the spell look like? A barrage of fireballs? A stream of fire? I can't visualize [a powerful fire attack]. And Elfman's monster form? How does that look like? I get that he's big, but it's still a very scant visual

I know I'm bad at descriptions, but most of it is stuff from the anime, and this was written for those who have watched the show in mind. As for original designs (like the MC and his Prequip ability), I know they're super barebones and something I need to work on. I suppose that on the brightside, you can use your imagination to make it look whatever you want, lol.

impmontamer03 said:
3. The most lacking aspect in the battle is the physical strain. You just tell that the characters are tired/hurt. Go deeper into the character's feeling. How's the pain? Searing? Stabbing? Etc. But if the characters can't feel pain, then you can forgo them. And the wounds. How do they look like? Where are they located? Etc. More visuals are surefire way to increase tension because if described enough, readers can even feel the characters' pain, whether the characters feel it or not.

I have deliberately avoided going into greater detail about wounds, as Fairy Tail, the show, rarely shows any either. You'll hardly see any blood or real injuries, mostly just bruises, which is what I'm sticking to for my story as well to stay consistent to the feel of the original work. There might be a few exceptions to that in later battles, but that's mostly how it's going to be like.

impmontamer03 said:
The key to write better fight scenes? First, read more stories that features great battles, not necessarily from fanfics in general or fanfics of the fandoms you know and love. This is the best one because it's hard to express the awesome explosive and/or bloody fights in your head with mere WORDS, so seeing the examples of such great fights will certainly give you ideas how to write them better. Second, this is less helpful, but do reflect on a few action animes/mangas you like. For example, what makes the fights so awesome? Answer it by yourself (e.g. awesome choreography a la TTGL, very bloody with emphasis on physicality a la Berserk, etc), and see how you can apply the answer to your work.

Thanks, though you've only read the first battle? I'd like to know what you think of any of the later battles if you continue reading to see if there's any improvements. But I appreciate the feedback, and glad that you're at least liking it.
Apr 21, 2017 7:51 PM

Dec 2015
Okay, marathoned until ch10... And Gajeel remains as my fav. I'm always a sucker for anti-heroes, so he has my attention. Also, Elfman sounds like a fun character. Talks about manliness all the time like Kamina!

Milennin said:
Have you tried reading it on fanfiction.com? I'm not sure, but it might be a little more readable on there than on here. Link is in the first post.

Read it and find out that the formatting is much better there. I'll be reading from FFnet afterwards.

Milennin said:
I know I'm bad at descriptions, but most of it is stuff from the anime, and this was written for those who have watched the show in mind. As for original designs (like the MC and his Prequip ability), I know they're super barebones and something I need to work on. I suppose that on the brightside, you can use your imagination to make it look whatever you want, lol.

Not all readers are fandom familiar, although that's a rare case (unless you frequent FFnet general forums and play the review games). Like me, I like reading fanfics to get an idea about a series I'll be watching/reading, so I'm likely to come fandom blind. It sounds funny, but I was just that nosy.

Leaving to readers' imagination actually takes away the power of the scene (especially actions), because your mind is too busy to picture what's happening. Reading becomes tiring IMO. However, there are times when using bare descriptions and leaving to readers' imagination can work very well. This is still a mystery to me, so I don't know how to explain it. A fanfic ever pulls it out so well and grosses me out.

Also, considering that you have an OC, describing only the OC's skills in detail runs the risk of pushing the OC into Gary Stu/Mary Sue territory. Try balancing the descriptions.

Milennin said:
I have deliberately avoided going into greater detail about wounds, as Fairy Tail, the show, rarely shows any either. You'll hardly see any blood or real injuries, mostly just bruises, which is what I'm sticking to for my story as well to stay consistent to the feel of the original work. There might be a few exceptions to that in later battles, but that's mostly how it's going to be like.

If there are rarely detailed wounds, I thought you could use more sensory descriptions to make up for them. Not just visuals, but other senses as well.

As for the Geo Golem battle, I see that there are more descriptions already, although [monster made of rock] is still...very bare. But aside from the scant descriptions, the writing style isn't strong enough to bring out all the tension (or maybe it's because I'm so spoiled at this department). Avoid passive voice. Keep "telling" minimum and use more "showing." For example, Roth feeling drained is "telling." But if you describe Roth panting and sweating with aching muscles, it's "showing."

I wonder if you ever read action fanfics/original works before writing this? If it's a fanfic, do share it.
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Jul 16, 2017 10:05 PM

Feb 2015
CHAPTER 90
LIGHTNING

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

362 by nin-tendo »»
8 hours ago

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Today, 6:15 AM

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - Yesterday

4 by Kinspie13 »»
Yesterday, 9:41 PM

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
Yesterday, 8:41 PM

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.