New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 7, 2015 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
10 -i liked it
1-i disliked it

Nov 7, 2015 1:22 PM

Mar 2014
Tbh I'll just think up which number suits it. I never rate an anime I haven't completed more than 8.
Nov 7, 2015 1:28 PM

Jun 2009
My ratings are supposed to be indicative of how much I would enjoy a particular anime "at the present time". I may have rated an anime a 7 right after I initially finish it, but then 9 months down the road that rating may have changed to a 4, or bumped up to an 8, or not at all, depending on whether I may have seen something better, or thought about it a lot and learned something about it that I now found distasteful, or a pleasantry.

(I closely follow MAL's definition of what 1-10 means.)
Nov 7, 2015 1:37 PM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why do people think you can rate on anything other than enjoyment? Enjoyment is the end result.

It's not. Not for me, at the very least.
I try and rate on what I perceive as quality, basically how good I think the anime is. Enjoyment is not all of it, just a factor, even if an important one. Enjoyment comes from many things, not all of them are reasons to praise something.
For example, I watched a live-action movie Piranha 3D with friends. We had a good time laughing at how atrocious it was. We enjoyed the movie. Was it good? Nope. Not by any strech of the word. It was all levels of bad and terrible.
The same can be said about some anime.

It only works one way though. I think anime can be enjoyable without being good, but can't be good without being enjoyable.
Or at the very least, I haven't yet seen something I didn't enjoy yet still consider good.
Nov 7, 2015 2:03 PM
Oct 2015
If an anime really impresses me that I thought it wasn't going to = 8+
Good amount of action = 8+
enjoyment= 8+
6 and below= don't even rate the anime

I rate a lot of animes that shouldn't be rated high really high. It also goes for movies as well; most people rate things low (well rotten tomatoes) but i rate it high.
Nov 7, 2015 3:29 PM
Apr 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Why do people think you can rate on anything other than enjoyment? Enjoyment is the end result.

Not really.

Enjoyment has little value for me, when I'm rating. After all, unless we rate to "show our rates to other people" which sounds shallow as fuck, I believe the logical conclusion is that we rate as a reminder for the future of the anime in question. I can forget part of the plot, specifics, names and plenty of things about an anime, but I'm having a hard time imagining someone who would forget whether they enjoyed it or not. Thus, it would be pointless to rate based purely on enjoyment.

I rate anime in terms of quality, as objectively as I can, with a focus on the plot.
It's not an universal formula, though. Not all anime can be appraised the same way, so there's bound to be deviations. If it's something which I truly enjoyed every second, it will probably receive a small 'boost' in the rating, and the opposite applies to what I truly disliked. It will all inevitably boil down to my own criteria of what's "good and bad" -or my perception of it, if you will,- but that certainly does not mean enjoyment.

I think the underlying issue within this whole discussion is that most people have a hard time accepting the fact that "I liked it" does not translate to "it's good." It's perfectly fine to like something awful, and just because you don't like something great it doesn't mean that it suddenly stopped being great. I find admitting this to be a mark of integrity and rather liberating, since being able to accept things as they are regardless of your personal feelings is quite a relaxing experience.
After all, you wouldn't call Chopin a bad pianist even if you disliked his music, would you?

It probably all boils down to the purpose of your list.
Is it for yourself?
Is it meant to pamper your ego?
Is its purpose to be shown to others as a communication or a bragging tool?

The bliss of ignorance only lasts for so long. After that, there is only acceptance or denial.
Nov 7, 2015 3:43 PM

Aug 2014
I just go with MAL's system. But it's mostly subjective anyway.
Nov 7, 2015 9:28 PM

Sep 2012
TakaMeiyo said:
Inferno_Cop said:
Before rating a show I scream loudly "Allahu Akbar" followed by "la ilahi il allah...", then recite pslams of Bible then sacrifice my blood while repeating ancient sanskrit texts, god appear before me showering me with wisdom of "how to properly rate anime", follow my system if you don't want to rot in hell after you die.

Rating system :-
10 =/= 9,
9 =/= 8,
8 =/= 7,
if you are smart then you can figure out rest yourself.

You just described me O_O

No, you are the filthy pleb who don't understand how important the last ritual is and thereby doomed to suffer as an unknown entity on MAL for eternity.
Nov 7, 2015 10:54 PM

Sep 2013
Ya 8 or 8 + means they are pretty amazing.
Btw what I thought is MAL 7.5+ anime are all amazingly good and I will wtch all of them which are 7.5 +
Nov 7, 2015 10:58 PM

Jan 2015
I try to rate based on quality and enjoyability! While other people may not find Oregairu to be a 10/10(I mean they would be wrong) but I feel it deserves a 10. It has a good story the monologues make it very interesting likable characters. Just overall good.
I gave The future diary 6/10 even though I didn't find it enjoyable and kept having to restart cause I kept dropping it. I could have rated it lower but respected the quality of the anime and ended up giving it 6/10.

80% enjoyability 20% quality is probably about how I judge.
Nov 7, 2015 11:38 PM

Sep 2012
I don't think too much about this. I just rate whatever number I feel like.
Nov 7, 2015 11:49 PM

Nov 2012
How do you guys rate anime?

Rating in a the scale of 1 to 10.
What do you consider and expect from a series?

Consider the characters and don't expect too high.
What makes a 8+ anime?

Better than 7- anime.
Nov 8, 2015 2:49 AM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's not. Not for me, at the very least.
I try and rate on what I perceive as quality, basically how good I think the anime is. Enjoyment is not all of it, just a factor, even if an important one. Enjoyment comes from many things, not all of them are reasons to praise something.
For example, I watched a live-action movie Piranha 3D with friends. We had a good time laughing at how atrocious it was. We enjoyed the movie. Was it good? Nope. Not by any strech of the word. It was all levels of bad and terrible.
The same can be said about some anime.

It only works one way though. I think anime can be enjoyable without being good, but can't be good without being enjoyable.
Or at the very least, I haven't yet seen something I didn't enjoy yet still consider good.

So a movie that managed to entertain you and make you laugh despite being bad isn't good in some way?

You haven't watched a truly bad film. Something that's enjoyable despite being badly put together is still good. It means it achieved something interesting.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 8, 2015 8:46 AM

Dec 2011
Thread of the year.
Btw anime 8+ is an anime very good, great or masterpiece.
Nov 8, 2015 8:51 AM

Feb 2010
This thread again. Too tired to retype the same paragraph about why enjoyment isn't the answer to all questions in this universe over and over again. Just look for any of the previous 100 iterations of this thread and question.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 8, 2015 2:44 PM
Aug 2015
I rate things like this (yes I developed a system I have no life shut up):

1. Rate the story. This forms the exoskeleton for the rating.

2. Subtract up to four points for bad characters. If the characters are just as good as the story, add no points. If the characters are better than the story, add up the points that they are better (example: if the story is a 6 and the characters are an 8, add two points).

3. Add or subtract up to two points for animation and music. Only add or subtract anything for this if there is anything noteworthy about the animation or music, not if it's just good but not outstanding or slightly worse than average.

4. Add or subtract up to two points for personal (lack of) enjoyment. If the enjoyment was the same rating as what was already standing at step 3, add/subtract nothing. (Example: if a show had a 7 based on story, characters, animation and sound, and my enjoyment would also be rated a 7, do nothing.)

5. I never rate anything a 10, or at least, I haven't yet because I have never seen anything with NO flaws. To me, a 10 means literally flawless and with no room for improvement.

6. I also never rate anything a 1, or I haven't yet because there has never been anything that has been so atrociously bad that there is literally nothing good about it. Or maybe there has, but I have just never watched it (I'm sure Boku no Pico would be a 1, but I'm not watching that, am I?).

An 8+ anime is an anime with a strong story and characters, at the very least. If either the characters or the story fail, I will never rate it an 8, no matter how good the rest is or how much I enjoyed it. Most likely, an 8+ anime is one that has very, very strong characters/story, decent animation/sound and is one that I enjoyed a lot.

I more or less always expect an anime to be at least a 6. That's an anime that's not outstanding or great, but has nothing particularly bad about it. One that's completely forgettable. I might expect more from an anime if the premise sounds especially interesting or if it's regarded as really good by both critics and fans alike, but never lower. I don't watch anything that I expect it to be lower than a 6.

This went on for way too long lol. I also just realized that it might be impossible to follow. Sorry 'bout that.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime you regret not watching sooner

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

17 by Eleben »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - Today

26 by TsutanaiFuun »»
2 minutes ago

» who do you think is the best isekai mc and who is the worst ?

ame - Today

26 by TsutanaiFuun »»
4 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6?

Akuya - 7 hours ago

48 by Eleben »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

90 by DylTaku05 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.