Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 5, 2023 2:20 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Heinz_Comrade314 said:
I use Arch Linux. I will only use Arch Linux. And I will never use Ubuntu again.

Any specific reason or experience that lead to your decision?
Feb 8, 2023 11:22 PM

Jun 2022
Heinz_Comrade314 said:
I use Arch Linux. I will only use Arch Linux. And I will never use Ubuntu again.

Nothing in specific, my decision to stop using Ubuntu was a culmination of (mainly performance based) issues I had over the roughly ~6 months or so of me using it. So, at least for my machine, Ubuntu performs worse than other GNU/Linux distros. To be fair, I was a fairly novice Linux user at the time I was using Ubuntu, so that likely contributed to me being unable to solve the issues I had.
Feb 14, 2023 1:10 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Heinz_Comrade314 said:

Nothing in specific, my decision to stop using Ubuntu was a culmination of (mainly performance based) issues I had over the roughly ~6 months or so of me using it. So, at least for my machine, Ubuntu performs worse than other GNU/Linux distros. To be fair, I was a fairly novice Linux user at the time I was using Ubuntu, so that likely contributed to me being unable to solve the issues I had.

In addition to that the Gnome desktop environment is also heavier on the resource usage in comparison to KDE Plasma, XFCE or LXQT.
Apr 3, 2023 11:49 AM

Oct 2014
According to filesystem creation timestamp i've been using Xubuntu 20.04 since October 2021. The only problem is when i need to manually compile some programs i can't get up to date GCC so i can't really compile anything other than ancient stuff. Kinda sucks but it's better than having an unstable system. I also cannot get glibc updates but it's not that crucial i think. 
Apr 6, 2023 6:38 PM
Nov 2022
Im using Manjaro right now.
Sep 26, 2023 5:04 PM

Apr 2016
I have been using EndeavourOS for about a year, but yesterday I moved to NixOS to test it out, but I won't be staying for long, I am just checking how an immutable distro works, in a week or two I plan to move back to EndeavourOS.
On my home server, I am running Armbian.
Nov 9, 2023 8:28 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to Sasbyek
I have been using EndeavourOS for about a year, but yesterday I moved to NixOS to test it out, but I won't be staying for long, I am just checking how an immutable distro works, in a week or two I plan to move back to EndeavourOS.
On my home server, I am running Armbian.
Got lost on the way back to EndeavourOS and made a stop on PopOS! to test it out, but left one day later after I discovered that I can't uninstall more than half the Gnome bloat that is installed by default, otherwise it would break Gnome.
Now I am back on EndeavourOS and don't plan on trying any new distro for a long time… unless I get a good deal for a Ryzen 5700x during black friday, if that happens I might try Gentoo.
Nov 30, 2023 3:00 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to Sasbyek
Got lost on the way back to EndeavourOS and made a stop on PopOS! to test it out, but left one day later after I discovered that I can't uninstall more than half the Gnome bloat that is installed by default, otherwise it would break Gnome.
Now I am back on EndeavourOS and don't plan on trying any new distro for a long time… unless I get a good deal for a Ryzen 5700x during black friday, if that happens I might try Gentoo.
@Sasbyek yeah some distros are like that. they have ridiculous dependencies removing one small binary makes the whole system uninstall itself :D
that's why i stopped using arch linux as well they compile in every useless dependency. at that point gentoo becomes your only option which sucks because you need to compile gcc, llvm, spidermonkey and chrome as well. i am sure there are other big programs out there but i forgot them. i was only using these and it took days. so i jumped ship and installed ubuntu yeah outdated stuff sucks but what can you do.
Dec 15, 2023 10:47 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to Cnon
@Sasbyek yeah some distros are like that. they have ridiculous dependencies removing one small binary makes the whole system uninstall itself :D
that's why i stopped using arch linux as well they compile in every useless dependency. at that point gentoo becomes your only option which sucks because you need to compile gcc, llvm, spidermonkey and chrome as well. i am sure there are other big programs out there but i forgot them. i was only using these and it took days. so i jumped ship and installed ubuntu yeah outdated stuff sucks but what can you do.

@Cnon Don't get me wrong, I am not those kind of people that is a super minimalist that uses Suckless software on Gentoo, I just don't like to have too much stuff that I don't need on my system. Arch falls exactly on my sweet spot, something between "it just works out of the box" like Mint and a "do it yourself" kind of distro like Gentoo.
When I said about using Gentoo it would be something short, something like 2 weeks to a month, just to see how things work over there, I kinda like to test other distros.

Cnon said:
removing one small binary makes the whole system uninstall itself
I had this problem just yesterday, I installed Debian on an external SSD to try a Stable Diffusion script that only works on Debian based distros, and I used apt to remove just one package, but sometimes for some reason apt starts doing stuff before asking for confirmation, and it literally nuked the desktop environment and all the rest, I literally felt like Linus nuking his PopOS install, with the difference that I had no warning. Not that I cared that much, I was already mad that the Debian install does not add the user to the Sudoers file automatically, and now I am using the script on Ubuntu.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Poll: How often do you update your system?

Cnon - Dec 19, 2023

5 by Klefki_of_Awsome »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:12 PM

Poll: » Your favorite File Manager

Cnon - Mar 28, 2017

7 by Cnon »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:15 PM

» What do you think about trinity desktop

Cnon - Aug 12, 2023

3 by konfou »»
Sep 28, 2023 3:09 AM

Poll: » Text editor of your choice

Cnon - Jun 16, 2020

23 by Sasbyek »»
Sep 26, 2023 5:28 PM

» Share your bash history

Cnon - Dec 6, 2020

15 by Sasbyek »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.