Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 15, 2015 6:20 AM

Aug 2011
One of the things that drives me nuts is that bonus chapters for manga are included in the total number of chapters. This means that for each manga I want to complete I have to either hunt down the bonus chapters, assuming they've been translated, or lie about the number of chapters I've read, which I cannot bring myself to do. I understand that bonus chapters are added based on the tankobon volumes, which I get and am cool with, but now that MAL has an actual development team I'd like to see a better solution.

What I am suggesting is to add a second input to the chapter section of our manga lists. If a manga has 90 numbered chapters and 10 bonus chapters it would have two fillable slots. In order to mark a manga complete a user would have to have the 90 filled in the main chapter slot, but could leave the second entry blank in the bonus chapter slot. If the user had read bonus chapters, they could add the number into the second entry and it would affect their list's chapters read and reading time, etc, but wouldn't be necessary to mark the manga complete. The entry for bonus chapters could even be only in the more info section of our list entry if that would be easier to implement.

This would really benefit users who read older manga that were likely fan-translated long before we had the wide range of scanlators doing specials and bonus chapters (I'm looking at you, Elfen Lied). It would also benefit readers, like myself, utilizing Crunchyroll's simulpubs. Many of Crunchyroll's manga (Nanatsu no Taizai, Mysterious Girlfriend X, etc) had several bonus chapters translated when the backlog was being created from backlog volumes, but no longer get new bonus chapters translated once the manga reaches simulpub status. Also some manga, like Fairy Tail, seem to have no reasoning behind which bonus chapters get translated on Crunchyroll.

The other major benefit is that it allows users to easily keep track of read bonus chapters without messing up the numbering of their ongoing series. If I'm on chapter 300 of a manga and I've read 15 bonus chapters, it will say I'm on chapter 315. If I go back to that series a year or two later, it's hard to remember I was on chapter 300 if the chapters read says 315. I end up just ignoring adding bonus chapters until the end, but for series I've been reading for five or ten years, it means I have to keep track of the bonus chapters somewhere else or I likely won't remember which I have and haven't read when the series finishes years later.
JayArcherJul 15, 2015 6:26 AM
Fate has no forgiveness for those who dare stand against it. - Chrono Cross

More topics from this board

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

16 by Piiyuuush »»
4 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.