Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 10, 2015 8:24 AM

Dec 2014
Hello, :3 Im pretty sure someone in this website does 3D Animation/modeling.

How long did it take you to master 3D Animation/Modeling? Is it hard especially for a talentless person that can't draw? xD

I'm currently just a student taking up 3D Animation/modeling in college. :)

Jun 10, 2015 3:17 PM
May 2014
I did a little 3D modeling and have been very interested with 3D art. Drawing always helps in any visual artistic field since a lot of the techniques and concepts from drawing can be applied to 3D. But it's definitely not a requirement, since you'll likely learn those concepts in your 3D course.

I've found that one of the most difficult parts for someone just getting into 3D modeling/animation is getting used to the development environment and tools. Powerful tools like Maya can have a steep initial learning curve if you're not used to that kind of thing. It's common to hear "practice, practice, practice" among artists, but it's really true for 3D modeling as half the process is figuring out how you can use the tools and techniques you have available to create the object you're visualizing/referencing.

As for how long it can take to "master," I can't say as that varies from person to person. But if you mean how long it'll take for you to start making things that "look" nice and professional, you can take a few days looking at a tutorial online and make something professional-looking.

But to "master" requires experience and/or a good foundation. A tutorial will let you reach a good looking end result consistently, but not provide much wiggle room for modifications and/or curveballs. This is why basics are important and also why self-practice is important, as you'll want to apply what you learn in class to something slightly different so that you know you're understanding the "concept" and not just the "technique." It's also why estimating a time period for "mastery" is difficult since it'll depend on what direction your course takes in teaching the material and how much effort you put into retaining the material and putting it to actual use.

More topics from this board

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
18 minutes ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.