Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

SAO had a lot of potential, but rather than making its ingenious concept on par with its execution.

Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 21, 2014 1:52 AM

Jul 2013
Korrvo said:
The wall of text was so big that it's length leaked into the title of the thread, holy crap.

SAO is entertaining and that's all I care about.
just proves to yo how many issues SAO had.
“You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together.” -Buddha
Sep 21, 2014 1:57 AM

Jul 2013
zharth said:
I wouldn't say that SAO *deserves* either hate or praise. It's just a story, whether good or bad, and some people liked it more than others. But I definitely agree that it did not live up to its potential as a story with a very intriguing premise. But I guess the author was overambitious in that respect.

I actually liked the Alfheim part of the story better, since it had a more cohesive plot, and plus I guess I just thought the fairy world was more interesting than the generic sword-without-sorcery Aincrad...

As far as realism is concerned, there were definitely way too many young, pretty females in those games, but it became pretty clear by the end that it was more concerned with being a nerd's fantasy than a gritty, realistic story about a game that people can't log out of. Unfortunately.

Thanks fro agreeing with most of the big points I made and also writing something interesting rather than typical one line replies.

Its true that the 2nd part was more cohesive, but it had the tail of being the second part which was not only stepped on but it was also a drag(shown in the massive rant).
“You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together.” -Buddha
Sep 21, 2014 11:20 AM

Sep 2012
ButthurtHetairoi said:
Korrvo said:
The wall of text was so big that it's length leaked into the title of the thread, holy crap.

SAO is entertaining and that's all I care about.
They are only issues if you make them issues.

I enjoyed everything SAO gave me and so did many others. Just cause it could have been "better" doesn't mean it "should" have been better, so I see nothing "wrong" with it in the first place, and thus very little reason to bitch or complain about it.

oh yeah and now that I'm actually reading your post

lol @ misogynistic

please go back to tumblr
KorrvoSep 21, 2014 11:24 AM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 22, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2013
Korrvo said:
ButthurtHetairoi said:
They are only issues if you make them issues.

I enjoyed everything SAO gave me and so did many others. Just cause it could have been "better" doesn't mean it "should" have been better, so I see nothing "wrong" with it in the first place, and thus very little reason to bitch or complain about it.

oh yeah and now that I'm actually reading your post

lol @ misogynistic

please go back to tumblr
Most of what i wrote has a lot of proof that backed up what I claimed. If the flaws are so evident and you can't see them, then I think you should take some film courses to make your critiquing more prudent. I'm not calling it wrong, but I don't think its right or even good. That's the bullshit that art has to deal with, subjectivity. That's why you have to compare and contrast.
Don't laugh at misogyny if its literally right there on screen. You are looking at the typical damsel in distress formula which is supporting inequality.
Sep 22, 2014 1:09 PM

Sep 2012
Here's the thing.

I like SAO, and I like it's "flaws", though I use the word loosely.

They aren't flaws; they are simply not what you'd rather see. The fact that you think it "should" be different is nothing more than a bi-product of a horribly elitist mindset that is just one of the many cancers that fandoms, like the anime fandom, have to put up with.

When you begin "critiquing" an anime for not being what it's clearly not trying to be, then that's where you know you fucked up.

"This apple should taste more like an orange because I like oranges better. 2/10, what a shitty apple."

Critique is fine and I welcome it as well as any form of intelligent discussion, but at that point it's not critique or intelligent anymore, it's just overrated bitching.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

Don't laugh at misogyny if its literally right there on screen. You are looking at the typical damsel in distress formula which is supporting inequality.
You will not get taken seriously on the internet if any of that shit is ever in any of your arguments.

Because for one, nobody gives a shit, and second, people hate femi-nazis. I am one of those people.

This is a show meant for guys. Guys have dicks. If you have a problem with that and want to be an obnoxious SJW, keep it to yourself, or as I said earlier, take it tumblr.
KorrvoSep 22, 2014 1:22 PM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Sep 22, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2013
Korrvo said:
Here's the thing.

I like SAO, and I like it's "flaws", though I use the word loosely.

They aren't flaws; they are simply not what you'd rather see. The fact that you think it "should" be different is nothing more than a bi-product of a horribly elitist mindset that is just one of the many cancers that fandoms, like the anime fandom, have to put up with.

When you begin "critiquing" an anime for not being what it's clearly not trying to be, then that's where you know you fucked up.

"This apple should taste more like an orange because I like oranges better. 2/10, what a shitty apple."

Critique is fine and I welcome it as well as any form of intelligent discussion, but at that point it's not critique or intelligent anymore, it's just overrated bitching.

ButthurtHetairoi said:

You will not get taken seriously on the internet if any of that shit is ever in any of your arguments.

Because for one, nobody gives a shit, and second, people hate femi-nazis. I am one of those people.

This is a show meant for guys. Guys have dicks. If you have a problem with that and want to be an obnoxious SJW, keep it to yourself, or as I said earlier, take it tumblr.

I'm criticizing SAO's structure, foundation, and writing. You are talking about the presentation and topics. Very different. You should read a more about film theory and analysis. Also if you want to compare apples to oranges, a survival video game doesn't mix well with incest. You presented a big budget piece with an interesting concept that has little exploration. Kind of disappointing that they took the formulaic route rather than the more intellectual and creative one.

Call me snobbish, but I'm expressing my opinion. Never called my answer objective. Its just everything is so laid out and simple for anyone to see. I just put it into words. Your accusations are hypocritical.

So you promote social hierarchy? wow
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.