Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 2014 9:00 PM

Dec 2013
I want to start an anime club at school, but I'm not sure if my principal will allow it, saying that it's not educational. Do you guys have any reasons as to why an anime club would be beneficial, other than the fact that we will be learning about Japanese culture?

On a side note, I probably won't have any trouble with the age consent. If a show has a rating above PG, I can probably give a form to the members to have signed by their parents.
Jun 20, 2014 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
If you want to learn about japanese culture, I think it'd be more beneficial to just create a cultural club. I doubt your principal would accept that as a legitimate reason.

That being said, does your school prohibit clubs that are just for fun? I remember in my school, students were allowed to create clubs that didn't really provide any educational experience, but just for fun, and where students can meet up after school, and get to know each other better.
If your school does allow these types of clubs, there should be no issue.

Good luck~
Jun 20, 2014 9:06 PM

Dec 2013
shuryukan said:
If you want to learn about japanese culture, I think it'd be more beneficial to just create a cultural club. I doubt your principal would accept that as a legitimate reason.

That being said, does your school prohibit clubs that are just for fun? I remember in my school, students were allowed to create clubs that didn't really provide any educational experience, but just for fun, and where students can meet up after school, and get to know each other better.
If your school does allow these types of clubs, there should be no issue.

~Good luck

Yeah. We have tons of clubs that have no educational value.
Jun 20, 2014 10:25 PM

May 2014
I had one in my school but never joined it lol . I guess it was a cultural thing .
Jun 20, 2014 10:29 PM

Jun 2012
Make sure to use "No beta neckbeard schmucks allowed." as a footnote so you don't garner the stereotypical western Anime fan club.
Jun 20, 2014 10:33 PM

Jan 2013
Try asking him first and see what he says, before assuming he might say no. The high school i'm going to has one. Clubs don't have to be beneficial. That's why it's during after school, cause school ends. You can make it just for the fun of it. So try asking the principal. Hope he allows it~
Jun 21, 2014 9:22 PM

Feb 2013
Hello candyasz,

As others have already mentioned just put your proposal to the principal and don't overthink it. The worst that could happen is either they'll say no, so in that case in order to make it more educational... just expand the scope of your club to include Japanese lifestyle and culture. ;)
Optic14Jun 21, 2014 9:32 PM
My Projects: animeforums.netazumi.moe (anime girls screenshot gallery)
Jun 21, 2014 9:23 PM

Aug 2013
LOLOL
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Jun 21, 2014 9:24 PM
Aug 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Make sure to use "No beta neckbeard schmucks allowed." as a footnote so you don't garner the stereotypical western Anime fan club.
Remember this OP. It is very important.
Jun 21, 2014 9:31 PM

Mar 2013
Jun 21, 2014 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
My school had a Japanese club but the club didn't have too many people there so my friends and I (who the majority couldn't care less about anime/japan) just went there to hang out. Our school had a 35 minute free period every day (except Monday half-days) so that's what we did with our free time.
My post had nothing to do with your question, I just felt like sharing.
Jun 22, 2014 4:43 PM
Mar 2013
Well getting the club approved shouldn't be hard. I'm the prez of my schools Japanese club, and all you have to do is talk about culture and language when the teachers are around. Heck, just call it the Japanese culture club, anime is technically Japanese pop culture. As long as you do that, and be careful about what anime you watch you should be good. Your gonna need people who want to be in the club. Most of the time you need a number of signatures to get a club approved, but I once was the president of our schools penspinning club, so I doubt it won't get approved. Tell the teachers you plan on going to convention, but make it sound like they are more culture based. For my club most of the time we spend discussing anime and not watching it, but maybe consider having meetings outside of school.

Also, we never had to get approval for what we watched, so make sure you have a chill teacher as your sponsor. I think technically you have to though. Just put consideration in what you plan to do. If your just screwing around the whole time you could loose a sponsor or be disbanded.

As far as being beneficial, culture and language need to be the thing, and its not like you have to speak Japanese, pop a few youtube videos on the basics or something and it will be fine.

if you have anything esle feel free to pm me

More topics from this board

» Anime Recommendations - MAL

hacker09 - May 16, 2022

23 by CLModerno »»
50 minutes ago

» Painting Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) Music Album

mufarari - Jan 13

9 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» Oil Painting of Boa Hancock from One Piece Stampede

mufarari - May 19

4 by DesuMaiden »»
5 hours ago

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

13 by hacker09 »»
8 hours ago

» Where to make graphics with gifs?

StrawberryBlxxd - 10 hours ago

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.