Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 31, 2014 9:41 PM

Jun 2012
tl;dr at bottom

I'm just starting the manga, after watching the anime two or three years ago. I'm up to like, chapter 16 or so of Season 1 (I'm here because I assume it to be the active board for this manga ofc).

Anyway, due to impatience, I kind of glimpsed way ahead to a chapter called, "The End of the World". Long story short, the little bit I saw was nothing like what I expected, to say the least due to

Now I just want to make clear that I'm not a manga reader. This is essentially the first time I've even bothered looking at one seriously. However, if this manga is more of a legit dark horror of some sort, then maybe I shouldn't continue with reading this. I only started because I remember everyone saying the manga is much better, and I've always been curious about the actual plot.

Of course I do realize that I skipped literally years into the future of something, and towards what I can only assume is a very climactic ending, so I can't pass judgment from that. I'm just asking because I want to clarify whether or not this manga is anything like what I'm looking for (comedy/harem, with some dark parts, perhaps), as reading it at present is time consuming and slightly less exciting than I would prefer - it is primarily an alternate recap of what I've already seen in the anime, though the differences are fairly significant at some points, I suppose.

tl;dr: Is this a relatively funny and enjoyable comedy/harem, or does it become a violent, dark horror with people dying all over the place (sans the main cast)?

I may end up looking into it either way, but if it's the latter, it's not what I want right now. I've just finished up watching Attack on Titan, Madoka Magica, I'm about a third through HunterxHunter...in other words, enough dark, violent stuff for the moment >_>.
May 31, 2014 9:44 PM
Aug 2012
It doesn't get that dark at all really.
May 31, 2014 10:00 PM

Jun 2012
WatchingYouPost said:

So, just an isolated incident I assume. Though I suppose I should clarify that if a random unnamed bystander is skinned alive, mutilated, and devoured by 10 maneating creatures, I would still count it, despite no harm coming to known characters.
May 31, 2014 10:02 PM

Sep 2012
no i didnt think so
:3 KYANDI- KUN
May 31, 2014 10:07 PM
Aug 2012
Nightwire said:
WatchingYouPost said:

So, just an isolated incident I assume. Though I suppose I should clarify that if a random unnamed bystander is skinned alive, mutilated, and devoured by 10 maneating creatures, I would still count it, despite no harm coming to known characters.
I don't recall this happening.

The manga is not dark at all. There is a bit of gore and stuff near the end but nothing too graphic and definitely nothing to qualify it as being dark.
May 31, 2014 10:15 PM

Jun 2012
WatchingYouPost said:
Nightwire said:
WatchingYouPost said:

I don't recall this happening.

The manga is not dark at all. There is a bit of gore and stuff near the end but nothing too graphic and definitely nothing to qualify it as being dark.

The incident I'm referring to is this, to be specific (spoilers, if anyone that isn't done with the manga is here as well):

Which is of course towards the end, as you said. You probably skipped my lengthy explanation, but I was mostly wondering if that kind of thing was the norm. But, what I'm getting here is that this is an isolated incident, or just the way things turn towards the ending anyway. If that's the case, I'll continue and hopefully enjoy it.

edit: took me 10 minutes of editing before googling and realizing that img tags apparently don't work on MAL.
NightrailMay 31, 2014 10:27 PM
Jun 3, 2014 2:53 PM

Oct 2007
@Nightwire: Yeah, that was part of a certain character's back-story and is an isolated incident.

The manga certainly gets serious, after its humble comedic beginnings, but that scene you showed is really the only truly "dark" scene in R+V. Everything else is just serious, tense and shounen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2022 10:22 AM
Apr 2022
Master10K said:
@Nightwire: Yeah, that was part of a certain character's back-story and is an isolated incident.

The manga certainly gets serious, after its humble comedic beginnings, but that scene you showed is really the only truly "dark" scene in R+V. Everything else is just serious, tense and shounen.
Alucard getting sliced into piece by Akua was pretty dark too and also the black parade appearance

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rosario+Vampire Season II Chapter 12 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Oct 7, 2008

35 by Animillion »»
Jan 10, 2023 1:13 AM

Poll: » Rosario to Vampire: Season II Epilogue After Story Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IceColdLightning - Apr 21, 2014

129 by AnZiR08 »»
Nov 14, 2022 7:28 AM

Poll: » Rosario+Vampire II Chapter 13 Discussion

Faust721 - Nov 8, 2008

17 by Borkerino »»
May 16, 2022 9:16 AM

Poll: » Rosario+Vampire Season II Chapter 9 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jul 10, 2008

15 by Borkerino »»
May 14, 2022 7:02 AM

Poll: » Rosario+Vampire Season II Chapter 54 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Skyrim - Jun 5, 2012

65 by AnZiR08 »»
Apr 21, 2022 2:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.