Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2008 6:27 PM

Apr 2007
How many girls in this club? I used to though that girls generally like yaoi or plain anime, but I see I'm wrong. But I think it's not very common. Right? Girls that like yuri are necessarily homossexual? I know that's a stupid question but I wanna know what you all think about this.

I don't mean to offend anyone.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 19, 2008 9:51 PM

Mar 2007
I think it'd be pretty safe to say that you'll find more girls that are straight that happen to like yuri, than guys that are straight that happen to like yaoi.
~Shade and sweet water~
Group Lead of Otenba -- Quality Check Lead of Static-Subs
Jan 19, 2008 10:02 PM

Apr 2007
Yes, but with guys I can't realize how they could enjoy watching yaoi without been homossexual. Even girls, how can you enjoy yuri and the hot scenes?
Jan 20, 2008 4:06 AM

Jul 2007
Well, it's all a matter of tastes, mainly. Why can't I enjoy something without being automatically labeled names? I realize that for straights watching yaoi/yuri is unusual, but doesn't mean it'll never happen. There's fun in the diverse too, and you don't have to be homosexual to enjoy it.

I very much prefer yuri than yaoi (I've only watched one yaoi, Loveless, and that was for the 3 episodes with yuri in it ^^'), because, well, I prefer girls over guys, but that doesn't stop me from watching other 'hetero' comedies.

Jan 20, 2008 11:44 AM

Jan 2008
Well, I'm a lesbian and I love yuri, but I have straight girl friends that like yuri too. I even have a gay friend of mine who likes it as well. They think unconventionnal relationship make for good entertainment.

Jan 20, 2008 4:27 PM

Apr 2007
lynx said:
I very much prefer yuri than yaoi (I've only watched one yaoi, Loveless, and that was for the 3 episodes with yuri in it ^^'), because, well, I prefer girls over guys, but that doesn't stop me from watching other 'hetero' comedies.

Sure, liking yuri doesn't mean you can't watch "regular" series. And good to know about Loveless, I wasn't sure if I should see it.

yuri_fangirl said:
Well, I'm a lesbian and I love yuri, but I have straight girl friends that like yuri too. I even have a gay friend of mine who likes it as well. They think unconventionnal relationship make for good entertainment.

I'll assume that you mean "gay man" (I'm not sure). But do you also like yaoi or are you averse to it?
Jan 20, 2008 7:29 PM

Jan 2008
magnus said:
lynx said:

Sure, liking yuri doesn't mean you can't watch "regular" series. And good to know about Loveless, I wasn't sure if I should see it.

yuri_fangirl said:

I'll assume that you mean "gay man" (I'm not sure). But do you also like yaoi or are you averse to it?

Yes I meant gay man. I really like shounen-ai because it's cute and still relatable to me (the process of coming out and general harship), but hentai-yaoi is just too much for me XP.

Jan 21, 2008 7:55 AM

Jun 2007
This is really a stupid question~

You can also say that every deathmetaler is a satanic - every trancer a crackjunky mmm

Its just abt taste - ifya like to see girl likkin each other you dun have to be strange, love is the most complex whatever we got on this freekin world
Jan 22, 2008 4:41 PM

Nov 2007
i like yuri the most even if im a girl,and im also a lesbian,and i dont like yaoi becuz i dont like seeing men screwing each other every other part of a scene
Jan 22, 2008 5:09 PM

Dec 2007
Hahah, I'm a girl
but im straight.
;D

i need your love, i'm a broken rose.
Jan 29, 2008 8:51 PM

Jan 2008
Like Mika in Love Vibes, I don't mind if I fell in love with a woman or a man, but women are much lovelier :3

Men really do think with their >_>;; most of the time.
Feb 7, 2008 4:18 PM

Aug 2007
As far as I care, as long as it feels and looks like the love is realistic and not just some awkward fake love junk, gender doesn't matter in love.

And just for the note, I'm a girl and I'm straight.
Feb 7, 2008 5:29 PM

Apr 2007
aly_angelflight said:
As far as I care, as long as it feels and looks like the love is realistic and not just some awkward fake love junk, gender doesn't matter in love.

And just for the note, I'm a girl and I'm straight.

The question isn't if gender matter or not in a relationship. It's not about prejudice.
It's about how much straigh girls like yuri, and it's not really important, I was just curious.
In conclusion I can say that there are much more straight girls liking yuri than I expected.

I think I had this idea that straight girls generally don't like yuri because whenever the lesbian subject come around girls usually say something like "gross" or anything like this.

So, that's not a unanswered question for me anymore. Thanks for all the depositions.
Feb 8, 2008 8:52 PM

Oct 2007
I'm a girl, I'm gay, and I LOVE YURI! haha
Feb 11, 2008 8:11 PM

Nov 2007
but i think yuri is more romantic,pasionate,and interesting
and they are more seriouse in love than yaoi or regular
Feb 11, 2008 11:20 PM

Oct 2007
lully911 said:
but i think yuri is more romantic,pasionate,and interesting
and they are more seriouse in love than yaoi or regular

Yeah I find Yuri romances are more... 'genuine' feeling because It's an unaccepted love that still prevails kinda thing. Most yuri's probably appeal to the romantic in all of us, they can encapsulate the entire notion of 'A love lost' - typical yuri ending D: Also sometimes it's just nice to watch female friendships ie. Marimite - which is yuri lacking but is so popular for this reason. I love Hetero love stories but they become so involved in 'Harem' situations and other such plot devices which can make me sigh a lot lol.

Also on Yaoi, I just find it a bit too shameless! I wouldn't watch a yuri where in the first ten minutes theres a kiss! plot development guys! lawl
Feb 12, 2008 11:50 PM

Jul 2007
At least they got a kiss... in the yuri shows, instead, it's "misteriously" covered by other objects/things, or they don't even kiss. Otherwise, the other female is in dire need of a mouth-to-mouth. There's always an excuse, and I always feel that showing a loving kiss is prohibited (thus why I don't like much incest relationship, because people can just say "oh well, they're sisters, it's obvious for them to show each other affection").
Ok, Kannazuki got those loving kisses I mentioned, but I don't like the show as a whole XD

Feb 14, 2008 9:23 AM

Dec 2007
u could be straight or bi and like yuri it really dont matter.
ppl shouldnt judge anyone for what they like and im not saying u are.
but there is nuttin wrong with girls liking yuri
Feb 15, 2008 2:28 PM

Jan 2008
I'm gay. But my friend is straight and she LOVES, I mean she is obsessed with yaoi ^^ I don't think that has anything to do with sexual orientation xD
Nippon, Nippon dream.
Feb 15, 2008 3:01 PM

Apr 2007
Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with sexual orientation. A little romance between two people of the same gender isn't a big deal for me. But if it's yaoi and it's not just a flirting or a kiss but almost explicit scenes, than I find it unpleasant.
What do you all think?
Feb 21, 2008 3:21 AM

Jul 2007
I don't find yaoi unpleasant, just... boring. It doesn't appeal to my tastes, and I'd rather watch something that I enjoy.
Usually, it should go like this: straight guys and lesbians like yuri, while straight girls and gays like yaoi. But if someone like both, all the better for him/her, I think. Apparently, I don't have an enough open mind to enjoy both, gender notwithstanding.
lynxFeb 21, 2008 3:45 AM

Feb 29, 2008 12:15 PM

Nov 2007
I am a girl who doesent like yoai, but i am verry openminded becouse i am bi mysslf to. it is more that i find the storys and plots of yoai, kinda... borig XD becouse its all about the two guys the story gets forgotten somehow
Feb 29, 2008 2:12 PM

Apr 2007
I think the concept of "open mind" is about to accept unusual opinions or choices. One can be gay and don't accept this, thus having a closed mind. You don't have to like yaoi to be open mind. I think the fact that you accept and respect that some people like it is enough.

Yaoi writers, and also hentai writers in general, should give more attention to the storys. But maybe they are just trying to make money and don't care if it has a good or bad story.
Mar 1, 2008 9:14 PM

Feb 2008
I'll add my 2 cents

I'm a girl and I like yuri but I'm straight as an arrow. What I like about yuri so much is that the relational stories between the charcters can be so much more developed than anywhere else. Everyone knows that women are more emotional then men, and girls you know this is true =P. It's because of that that the stories can get really heavy and deep. Even if the entire series lacked any intimate scenes...just the tension in regards to the relationship between the two girls is more than enough to grab my attention.
Mar 2, 2008 5:04 AM

Aug 2007
I'm a girl and I love yuri, be it canonical or only undertones.

I used to like yaoi when I was younger, but now I'm totally a yuri lover, lol~ well, gender doesn't matter in love, does it?

~mostly it's because yuri couples usually have better reason to love each other than most some hetero couples. I'm a sucker for character developments..

...or maybe because I do prefer girl characters than guys, lol.
Mar 2, 2008 3:54 PM

Feb 2008
jouttex said:

...or maybe because I do prefer girl characters than guys, lol.

I totally have to agree with you there =P.

The female characters in most anime, especially yuri oriented ones, are always better. Better drawn, better character designs...they usually get far more attention than the male ones...so why not go all out on their creation and story ^^.
Mar 2, 2008 9:23 PM

Sep 2007
I'm as straight as the day is long. I just like yuri because it's more appealing than yaoi. I might not have hated yaoi if I didn't see so much angtsy, sweaty, shirtless emo boys in yaoi images back when I was influential.

I'm not going to lie: one of the reasons I enjoy yuri is because it looks damn better.

I forgot about my preference to girl characters in a show too. I am more drawn to them at first then I am to a guy in an anime.
Mar 6, 2008 6:58 PM

Nov 2007
Im a girl and i may not be straight , but yuri has more of an intresting story,more dramatic or tragic, something that makes you wanna watch more.
you see for all that yaoi i watched so far (only 2 )the boys all have seriouse problems. Cuz all i see em do is screwing each other in every little scene.
Oh and the main character is either shy and acts like a little girl that falls in love with a cool and hot dude, or its a cool and hot dude that falls in love with a shy guy that acts like a little girl.
(yeah... only 2 T_T , got bored of it easily)
Mar 7, 2008 10:27 AM

Feb 2008
lully911 said:
Im a girl and i may not be straight , but yuri has more of an intresting story,more dramatic or tragic, something that makes you wanna watch more.
you see for all that yaoi i watched so far (only 2 )the boys all have seriouse problems. Cuz all i see em do is screwing each other in every little scene.
Oh and the main character is either shy and acts like a little girl that falls in love with a cool and hot dude, or its a cool and hot dude that falls in love with a shy guy that acts like a little girl.
(yeah... only 2 T_T , got bored of it easily)

One reason right there that I'll never ever indulge in a yaoi...well said lully911 ^^.
Mar 7, 2008 1:44 PM

Jul 2007
To be fair though, don't you think there's almost always the same pattern also in most yuri manga? For example: schoolgirl having a crush on her best friend distances herself from her because she doesn't want to lose their friendship, but then said best friend targets the schoolgirl with questions about her behaviour until she can't do anything but confess, and *oh coincidence* the other girl feels the same. Follows hot yuri secks. /end example.

Oh, I'm not saying I mind - on the contrary ^^ I just wanted to point out that some things are used and re-used in these manga too.

Mar 7, 2008 2:33 PM

Feb 2008
lynx said:
To be fair though, don't you think there's almost always the same pattern also in most yuri manga? For example: schoolgirl having a crush on her best friend distances herself from her because she doesn't want to lose their friendship, but then said best friend targets the schoolgirl with questions about her behaviour until she can't do anything but confess, and *oh coincidence* the other girl feels the same. Follows hot yuri secks. /end example.

Oh, I'm not saying I mind - on the contrary ^^ I just wanted to point out that some things are used and re-used in these manga too.

Most assuredly there's always some sort of formula that they follow. But I will say that I find the yuri forumla far more entertaining than the yaoi ones. Also...there's just something more...poetic about two girls falling in love with one another than two men. Perhaps it's just the preconcieved notions we have that men are, in general, brutes; yet women are seen to be more soft and caring, in general. Not saying that's any concensus...but at least that's how I generally see things...though there are occasions when I'm proven wrong on these =).
Mar 9, 2008 10:20 AM

Nov 2007
Anayu said:
lynx said:

Most assuredly there's always some sort of formula that they follow. But I will say that I find the yuri forumla far more entertaining than the yaoi ones. Also...there's just something more...poetic about two girls falling in love with one another than two men. Perhaps it's just the preconcieved notions we have that men are, in general, brutes; yet women are seen to be more soft and caring, in general. Not saying that's any concensus...but at least that's how I generally see things...though there are occasions when I'm proven wrong on these =).

Yeah but one thing is ,the two episode of the yaoi i watched, they had seks on the first episode O_O ,cuz one guy was like i will screw you here and their
i meen FIRST episode,they gave it all out on the firts ep.
on the other hand yuri mostly wait until the middle or ending
and yes there are alot of similer patterns in some yuri
but u wanna no something intresting i never seen before
i watched a yuri were this girl fell in love with her enemy that is her aunt O_O.......
im speechless
Mar 9, 2008 11:09 AM

Feb 2008
Er...can't say I'm all into the family thing. I understand cousins are ok in Japan...but just about anything else in the family is just a bit irking for me.
Mar 9, 2008 10:17 PM

Nov 2007
EXACTLY!
Mar 12, 2008 2:22 AM

Oct 2007
Wait, so yaoi fans hate yuri because it depicts emotion? Doesn't yaoi too?

Personally I haven't detected the same amount of wrath that Yaoi fans have towards Yuri as Yuri fans have towards Yaoi fans.. why do you think this is? I've been to conventions where Yaoi fans have been... 'typical Yaoi fans' and kinda ruined some fun stuff :( Whereas the Yuri following seems to be a little more restrained in public :S
(Sweeping generalisation. yes I know :P) I gather that quite a few adult female Yaoi fans out there are actually either gay or bisexual (ones I have encountered anyway) so wouldn't you think that they would be like, Pro-Yuri? whereas Yuri fans are either men, or women who like seeing female relationships so I can understand why malexmale would be un-appealing.
Just putting it out there, ^.^
Mar 12, 2008 9:36 AM

Feb 2008
Fallow said:
Wait, so yaoi fans hate yuri because it depicts emotion? Doesn't yaoi too?

Personally I haven't detected the same amount of wrath that Yaoi fans have towards Yuri as Yuri fans have towards Yaoi fans.. why do you think this is? I've been to conventions where Yaoi fans have been... 'typical Yaoi fans' and kinda ruined some fun stuff :( Whereas the Yuri following seems to be a little more restrained in public :S
(Sweeping generalisation. yes I know :P) I gather that quite a few adult female Yaoi fans out there are actually either gay or bisexual (ones I have encountered anyway) so wouldn't you think that they would be like, Pro-Yuri? whereas Yuri fans are either men, or women who like seeing female relationships so I can understand why malexmale would be un-appealing.
Just putting it out there, ^.^

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I really don't think it has much to do with it being about male x male or female x female. It has more to do with the plausibility of the relationships.

If you think about it, women are in general far more emotional than men could ever hope to be. It's just how women are wired...so to write an anime depicting that with two girls falling in love is very plausible becuase it fits our preconcieved notions.

Now we get to men. Can men be emotional, absolutely...but they don't necessarily show it in the same manner women do. Men in general are rough and gruff, not a bad thing. So to see to rough and gruff guys in love...it happens...but at least to me two rough/gruff guys aren't as appealing in a drama series as two beautiful and fragile women, no matter how strong one of the women appear.

Yet that's where our problem lies. It would appear that in a number of yaoi stories it isn't two rough and gruff guys getting together...it's a rough and gruff guy and a guy who's so feminine that if you just characterized the guy as a girl he'd be one. It's at this point you lose plausibility. Why settle for a feminine guy when you can have the real deal?

For full disclosure I will admit that in a number of yuri there always appears to be a much more willfull and stronger girl who's involved in the relationship...a great example would be the relationship between Nagisa, Aoi and Hanazono, Shizuma. Shizuma being by far more willful and full of strength than Aoi, yet Shizuma needs Aoi.

But that brings me to my final point. In general relationships between people work because one lacks what the other has. Also the perception is that one of the pair is stronger than the other. In yuri you can see the stronger girl getting with the seemingly weaker girl...but the weaker girl does have something to offer the stronger girl who may seek what she lacks through the weaker girl. The same applies in yaoi...it's just a psychological condition all people have. That is even more true for men who, in general, feel the necessary desire to protect the weak...in most cases women and children, but in yaoi the guy who he is in love with. Protecting the weak male he's in love with is perfectly reasonable...but nature would then again fight at our minds to say other wise. Take a look at most animal families...usually a pethora of females with one male. We're acceptable of two women falling in love because of their more social nature...not so with men because of their generally inherant nature of being loners. At least this is my opinion.

I have nothing against yaoi fans...I just can't stand the drama built up around a yaoi relationship because it just feels too forced and fake while the drama around two women falling in love can be far more real and acceptable.
Mar 20, 2008 1:03 AM

Feb 2008
I'm just a guy who likes lesbians. Two girls doing it is hotter than a male/female couple IMO, though I enjoy both.

As for yaoi.. Well, I'm not attracted to guys at all. Masculine men are not sexually appealing in any way, and feminine men are just cheap substitutes for women. With penises. Do not want.

I also agree with the above post. The yaoi fanbase generates far too much drama for my liking.
SubstanceDMar 20, 2008 1:16 AM
Mar 30, 2008 5:50 PM

Oct 2007
Well, I'm a girl and I'm not lesbian, I feel atracted to girls, but mostly to guys... but I don't consider myself like bi...
who cares what I am xD
Even if I were really straight, I would like yuri, because It's really beautiful and pure...
And I don't like Yaoi that much... there's too much pedophilia in it...
Mar 30, 2008 7:50 PM

Apr 2007
melie-lawliet said:

And I don't like Yaoi that much... there's too much pedophilia in it...

I think it's because in Yaoi people fell the need to have contrast.
Mar 30, 2008 8:05 PM

Feb 2008
As I stated I'm a woman myself...and I'm perfectly straigt. I find the relationships women can have between one another is far more interesting than the kind men can have. I also do find the female form to be extremely beautiful...yet as I said I'm perfectly straight and have no intentions of having any kind of relationship with a woman beyond friendship.
Apr 4, 2008 7:13 AM

Nov 2007
I like yuri, yaoi or hetero things, that doesn't really matter for me. I watch way more yuri than yaoi, just because I never found a good yaoi. (except Guragief/Anubituf) <3

(well, it's easier to identify myself as a girl than a boy, that certainly counts too. :] )
Apr 9, 2008 4:08 AM

Oct 2007
Just stepped in to defend Bl in general I guess :D
I would not talk about realism in either genres, as it seems to be an exception rather than a rule. (there are men who behave like women, but they are by far not that common. I seriously wish authors would stop with those teary-eyed ukes >.< And girls are not that sweet and innocent. Just not. When did the notion 'Females are devils' evaporate from human subconsciousness?)
Other than that, it's a question of preference ...
You can find high quality work in both Boys love (works of Yoshinaga Fumi or Miyamoto kano ... ) and Yuri (Yamaji Ebine or Nanane haruno ... )

So please, don't be so close-minded about BL! As a fan of both, it makes me kinda sad.

Beware! For I wield the chair leg of truth!
Apr 9, 2008 9:21 AM

Sep 2007
Kokonoe said:
I'm just a guy who likes lesbians. Two girls doing it is hotter than a male/female couple IMO, though I enjoy both.

As for yaoi.. Well, I'm not attracted to guys at all. Masculine men are not sexually appealing in any way, and feminine men are just cheap substitutes for women. With penises. Do not want.

I also agree with the above post. The yaoi fanbase generates far too much drama for my liking.

I agree with this so hard. If I saw a yaoi series that depicted male couples as two MEN and not just a man and a substitute woman, I would love that series. To me, it's just insulting, insinuating that men can only be together when one of them acts like a girl. In the yaoi I've seen, it seems like the authors don't even attempt to make the relationships work; they just draw two ~hawt~ guys together for the sake of fanservice. And I'm a lesbian who, while I appreciate male beauty, doesn't really care to watch two guys going at it, so that fanservice is lost on me.

Anyways, regarding yuri, I don't know, I just like it. :D Yeah, I'm gay, and while that's part of the reason that I enjoy it, I just find that I like the stories and the characters (as cliche'd and formulaic as they can get at times).

EDIT: Oh oh oh!

Clara-S said:
I like yuri, yaoi or hetero things, that doesn't really matter for me. I watch way more yuri than yaoi, just because I never found a good yaoi. (except Guragief/Anubituf) <3

YES. AGREED. Guragief/Anubituf is pretty much the only yaoi pairing I actually fangirl over. <3 <3 <3
Пока жива, я могу стараться на лету не упасть

92% OF TEENS DON'T THINK RAP IS REAL MUSIC. IF YOU ARE PART OF THE 8% WHO AIN'T A PUNK-ASS FOOL, COPY AND PASTE THIS INTO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Apr 9, 2008 4:20 PM

Mar 2008
Straight male. <3 yuri. I don't like looking at penises, especially the forearm sized anime ones so I mostly go for yuri.
Apr 9, 2008 9:42 PM

Feb 2008
cant' really say if they are . . . but I'm sure not all of them are.

I'm straight and I like watching/reading anime with comedy | ecchi | H | parody | romance | harem/reverse harem | game | really good story/art | yuri genre... and whatever Type-Moon releases ^^-

I find yuri stories interesting, others funny(in a good way), touching etc. ^^ that's why I like reading/watching them...and its the same for me with the other genre so I don't think all people who watch yuri is a homo ^^

just for some info~ ^^: from what I've heard on the radio, even if girls swung that way.. they could always come back to being straight.. but with guys.. gay guys will always be gay.

Apr 10, 2008 2:33 AM

Jan 2008
i like yuri, yaoi, and het stuff. for me it is more about the relationship dynamic. i have certain dynamics that i like to see play out in a relationship so when i happen upon it, i don't really care who it is between.

and really... "if girls swung that way.. they could always come back to being straight" that is rather insulting and sexist
candohApr 10, 2008 2:38 AM
Apr 10, 2008 3:19 AM

Oct 2007
kukaku said:

just for some info~ ^^: from what I've heard on the radio, even if girls swung that way.. they could always come back to being straight.. but with guys.. gay guys will always be gay.

Don't believe everything the radio tells you, Sounds like someone else applying their sexist double standards onto impressionable minds.

Apr 10, 2008 7:51 PM

Feb 2008
candoh said:

and really... "if girls swung that way.. they could always come back to being straight"
>> that is rather insulting and sexist

mhm? how come?

and sorry~ but I didn't intend for it to sound like that =.= plus I don't think they meant anything bad about it

Apr 15, 2008 7:35 PM
Apr 2008
hey im consider myself bisexual not homo but i do agree
Apr 20, 2008 9:35 PM

Apr 2008
I'm a girl and a lesbian. I love yuri, but I'll watch pretty much anything~ :3
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Your favorite yuri? ( 1 2 )

Monkeboii - Feb 2, 2008

82 by ravenkitsune »»
Apr 30, 2015 7:39 AM

» 'Must See' Yuri Anime?

Zephryl - Jun 5, 2008

26 by silversongwriter »»
Feb 19, 2015 3:03 PM

» Favorite pairings! ( 1 2 )

bettynoire - Aug 26, 2007

76 by animelover55 »»
Mar 29, 2014 9:43 PM

» Shows/Manga with yuri potential

46 by removed-user »»
Nov 4, 2013 7:40 PM

» Yuri pics ( 1 2 )

87 by MisterLuffy »»
Oct 19, 2012 12:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.