Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2014 9:13 AM

Oct 2012
Hey everyone, after reading manga on the internet and buying official manga I've come across a question that needs answering, and that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere.

The question being, whats the difference between scanlations (or fan translations) and the official English release of the manga? Now I know that in anime a lot gets lost in dubbing such as honorifics (which I also noticed in manga) and all the different ways of saying I such as watashi and watakushi or boku and ore.... among other things.

For example, after reading reading Rosario + Vampire I decided to check it out on Mangahere, and between reading both the idea and general content is the same but the writing and the ways characters speak are completely different (thus far anyway). So I suppose another question would be... which is better? Or just read both versions, or read one and don't look back XD.

Not sure if I explained the question well enough or not so just let me know if you need further clarification.

I'll probably continue to buy manga regardless to the answer as I like books and prefer to have physical copies of things, it's just I thought that it was a question worth trying to find a answer to.
Notlad00Apr 3, 2014 9:31 AM
Apr 3, 2014 9:54 AM

Sep 2013
Official translations tend to use americanisms and other english slang to appeal to a Western audience. I think this is just an insult to readers who like genuine Japanese culture and don't want it to be americanized. There are shitty fan translations too, but most of them are by far more accurate than the official ones.

So, if you want to read an approximation of what the characters really say, read scanlations.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Apr 3, 2014 11:48 PM

Mar 2009
Well if your question is basically localization vs. translation, then localization (i.e. official) no doubt. I want a translation of experience, not a translation of words. Even if it doesn't sound like shit, sometimes being too close to the original Japanese phrase doesn't mean much to us, and the worst thing is to have unnecessary translators' notes for puns or other things that scanlators don't have the balls to change. What does it matter if it's "accurate" to the very word? It's like scanlators are trying not to insult the original manga author or something. But sometimes you need to change phrases to make them work and sound natural, even if some things get lost in translation. One of my biggest pet peeves is puns not being translated and kept exactly as it is, with a translator's note above it to explain the joke. Is it funny anymore when it's explained? No. But it's accurate. And some people think that's more important when it completely ruins the joke. :S

Oh, and while official translations have typos here and there, scanlations are absolutely plagued with basic grammatical and spelling errors, not to mention poor cleaning, and even translation errors. Then there's the issue of the irritating groups that place 2-3 pages of "WE NEED YOUR HELP" and "SUPPORT THE MANGA AUTHOR" between each chapter. I don't need to deal with that. If you have access to official volumes, I suggest getting those instead, as it helps the authors and publishers out too.
sentiariiApr 3, 2014 11:51 PM

More topics from this board

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
1 hour ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1055 by Alexioos95 »»
7 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.